Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..

Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..
Had the CJ out for a nice drive yesterday, all good until this rebuilt Cardone steering box blew the input seal and I lost all my fluid and steering... I probably ran the brand-new PSC pump dry for about 5 mins before I was able to pull over off the highway.. hopefully I didnt cook the pump!!!

No more rebuilt parts for me, done with poor workmanship.. sourcing a new PSC gear box.. Looks like Summit may have one.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Always amazing how some things last extremely long, and others don’t. Rebuilt water pump from AZ for my wife’s Cherokee years ago. 5 minutes. Lasting effect for 10 years causing overheating problems. For my CJ7 it was probably 20 radiators for a 4 cylinder over 30 years. Lifetime warranty For my 6 cylinder I went with a Summit. So far works great.

Had the CJ out for a nice drive yesterday, all good until this rebuilt Cardone steering box blew the input seal and I lost all my fluid and steering... I probably ran the brand-new PSC pump dry for about 5 mins before I was able to pull over off the highway.. hopefully I didnt cook the pump!!!

No more rebuilt parts for me, done with poor workmanship.. sourcing a new PSC gear box.. Looks like Summit may have one.
How about rebuilding the gearbox yourself? It is actually quite easy...

Still waiting on new lines.. Hopefully I can put this steering to rest with this final upgrade!! The OEM standard male fittings that were used up to '79 do not work with this gearbox.. Had to order lines for a 1980-86 to get the m16x1.5 and m18x1.5 Male o-ring style fittings.

PXL_20240803_003248332.jpgPXL_20240803_004257088.jpg

Side note. I tried reaching out to Cardone for the rebuilt I bought but they simply said go back to the re-seller.. Which in my case was Amazon and they only have their 30 day return. I bought that gear box back in Oct 2023 so well past the 30days but its seen about 250 miles of very light use. Amazon indicates in the listing that issues are covered by the manufacturer Cardone with a link to their site and phone number. So.... I called Amazon out on this, and they without any resistance offered me a replacement no charge and no charge to ship this one back.. Weirdly surprised by the interaction...

:welcome: @Raccoon. I'm guessing parts for our old CJs are especially hard to get in Thailand. ;)
Yes, CJ7 in Thailand is small and expensive. Will be used in the navy But now it's all discharged. I like CJ7 , but I only have CJ6 . I'm making it back on the road after 30 years of parking. It used to be my father's best friend. I will make my father's friends come back.Once again

Yes, CJ7 in Thailand is small and expensive. Will be used in the navy But now it's all discharged. I like CJ7 , but I only have CJ6 . I'm making it back on the road after 30 years of parking. It used to be my father's best friend. I will make my father's friends come back.Once again
If you would, can you start a thread in our build forum? It would be great to watch and help. You could list any parts you are looking for as well as any advice you need.

Start a thread HERE.

If you would, can you start a thread in our build forum? It would be great to watch and help. You could list any parts you are looking for as well as any advice you need.

Start a thread HERE.
Thx. Q Very Much Sir. And I apologize to the owner of the post too.

Thx. Q Very Much Sir. And I apologize to the owner of the post too.
All good, no need to apologize. My original speedo works, and I only put in a new one because I wasn't sure what was causing my needle to bounce at low speeds. I am going to be putting the original back in next time the dash comes off. I might have another old original one but don't know if it works, it was left outside exposed to the weather for many years outside of the original jeep, I need to find it and test it out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom