73 cj5 transfer case issue

73 cj5 transfer case issue
Rear bearing is toast. Explains the chunks in the Transmission and Transfer Case as well. Oh yea and the innermediate shaft bearing had none of the needle bearings! Thanks for everyones help. I guess I was just trying to avoid the obvious. :( I also see where my confusion was for the gear pattern. I googled CJ5 gear pattern and got this image. Obviously for a different Transmission .

Ouch - Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully you can disassemble, clean the case, replace the bearings, and have a good unit. You found the right shift pattern now, so you will be able to make sure you are in 2WD on the street. If you have small chips in any of the gear teeth, you can probably file off the sharp edges and be ok.

Is this the main problem that was causing all of the trouble? Do you still think you have other troubles up front also??

I have found that 4WD Transmission and driveline shops generally stock Transfer Case and Transmission bearing kits on the shelf.

Wishing you the best - John

Oh yea, call Novak and get your rebuild kit(s). They are easy to make new....

Im pretty sure this is all the problems. I could tell it was drive train by the way it was acting. Im just glad to have found the problem. I have the Transmission completely taken apart. I figured i might as well do the Transfer Case as well while its apart. Then i will have a fresh engine, clutch, Transmission , and Transfer Case . as long as the axles hold up, I should be in good shape. :)

Heres what I think I have. Tell me if im wrong. T-14 and a Dana 20 .

Heres a list of what I need. Rebuild kit for Transmission and Transfer Case . Transmission and transfer shift knob, Front and rear axle pinion seals. Then she wont leak a drop! Where is the best most affordable place to buy these items? I am in Indiana so quick shipping would be great as I am ready to drive this :censored: thing. :cool:

Looks like the pic you posted has 2wdH and 4wdH reversed.
The pic looks right to me. It should be 2H all the way forward then 4H next click down then netural and 4l all the way down.

The pic looks right to me. It should be 2H all the way forward then 4H next click down then netural and 4l all the way down.

All the way forward is 4w on mine. I've seen shift knobs and stickers of shift patterns both ways.

My 73 CJ5 with the Dana 20 case is 4H - 2H - N - 4L with 4H all the way forward. There is a detent notch between Neutral and 4L where 2WD Lo range is possible. The shifter linkage has a fair amount of play due to the link design. You have to pop it back and forth into the different positions. It is not always obvious by looking at the shifter except for maybe 4L which is all the way back. Mine was the T-15 V8 Transmission , but I thought the Dana 20 cases were the same. John

My 73 CJ5 with the Dana 20 case is 4H - 2H - N - 4L with 4H all the way forward. There is a detent notch between Neutral and 4L where 2WD Lo range is possible. The shifter linkage has a fair amount of play due to the link design. You have to pop it back and forth into the different positions. It is not always obvious by looking at the shifter except for maybe 4L which is all the way back. Mine was the T-15 V8 Transmission , but I thought the Dana 20 cases were the same. John

Wierd. :confused: I wonder why some are different than others. Mine gear pattern matches the other image posted in this thread with 2HI all the way fowards. I removed the drive shafts and checked it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom