Engine Advice on engine swaps and general useability - 84 CJ7

Engine Advice on engine swaps and general useability - 84 CJ7

Citizent3

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

After lusting for a project car for too long I recently purchased an 84 CJ7 . Overall it is great condition. It runs well and has very little rust. I've been making my way through it; replacing seats, addressing oil leaks, replacing the plastic valve cover on the AMC256 with an aluminum one, etc.

The jeep sits on 35s with a 4 inch lift. My main concern is increasing the drivability. I don't plan on off-roading it but do plan on taking it to the beach, lake, camping, hauling small sail boats, and general cruising around town on nice days. I have a Tundra daily driver.

To that effect I am considering an engine swap. As it is now, it cruises well on the highway maxing out at ~65mph. In final gear (5th) it loses speed significantly on any type of hill or strong gust of wind such that I find myself driving it in 4th at slightly higher rpm than I'd like for extended periods or constantly shifting between 4th and 5th.

My understanding is that AMC256 is a great engine and very reliable and as such an alternative option would be regearing it instead of doing an engine swap.

What would y'all recommend? My preference would be for it to be a little bit more agile on the highway such that I don't feel like an obstacle people are constantly driving around, reliability, an efficiency and assuming the recommendation is to pull the trigger and do a swap, my preference would be for the most straight forward and reliable swap.

Thanks for the help.

My 85 CJ7 w/ AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cid that I had. 4:56-1 gears detroit locker in the rear, true trac up front. 35" tires, 5 speed manual, dui ignition, clifford reshearch headers, clifford reshearsh 4bbl intake, holley 500 cfm 4bbl.. Best damn all around jeep I ever had. Had to sell when wifey got pregnant. Should have sold the wife instead. Bought me another jeep. 30 years later fo my retirement. 78 CJ5 383 stroker and other goodies. mostly fo street use.
My condolences on your loss. Something gots to give. Mistakes are made in life. Glad you are able to overcome a huge loss. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom