Alt putting out 25v...

Alt putting out 25v...
Made for entertaining reading if nothing else. Glad to here your on the "fixed" side of the Cj again. :D

%75 of electrical trouble shooting is tenasity, the other %25 is being able to get in someones face when you need to.:D

Alright guys...

Here goes.

I don't know what if anything was wrong with the alternator. I took it to the down the street parks store, and they could not test it because they didn't have a code from year make and model. (it's a 55AMP output upgrade otherwise the exact same as stock... Guy PO'ed me... ) So I headed over to Pep Boys since where I bought this originally...

Got there and the poor kid they put on the testing machine had no idea what he was doing. After watching him fiddle with the machine for 20 min I finally stepped up and helped him out (as the other employees seems to just walk by and snicker). Finally we got it set up right, (he was trying to use a standard flat belt on my v groove pulley, among other issues..... Like I said, didn't belong on the machine) and it threw a code that said the adapter pigtail (machine part that adapts to different hook up types, basically their part not mine) was bad, order a new one. He tried using 3 different ones, and it kept saying the same thing. Finally a different guy walked by and I snagged him over. He said nope if it says doesnt work then it doesn't work... and walked away... I was a little upset... I asked the kid what we do now, suggesting without bashing him that we get help from a more knowledgeable person on staff. He got the same snide guy over to help again, and he says "what?" I say so what do we do now? he says well do you want to buy a new one now or go somewhere else? (Very rude...) so I look him in the eye and say "Tell you what, Why dont you :censored: give me a :censored: new one for free since your :censored: machine doesnt :censored: work and you want to be a :censored::censored::censored:" :D:D

Anyways, I'll shorten the story some, I spoke to the manager, and got a new one for free. :cool: I was insistent... :D

So not sure what if anything was wrong with the old alternator, as when I got home I was no longer getting 25 v, but was getting 15v and no additional volts were getting to the battery still.

So after some trouble shooting and wire tracing voltage regulator swap with my old (still good) one, I found the plug that had been fried along the alternator output wire. Replaced.

Walla, everything is working... Kinda... :rolleyes:

As of now... :cool:

:chug:
~ Jr

:D Thanks Guys!

So what I am wondering now is was it my 55AMP output alternator that burned up the connection? A fluke of old wire plug moving around? a result of a arc / spark made?

It's a 10 gauge wire, so I'm thinking it "should" be fine... :confused:

~ JR

So now that i have her back up and running, i decided to double check the alt was working. The amp gauge didnt look to be acting right to me. Ive had some issues with the alternator and wieing before...

Ill try to draw a diagram of what i have going on / how its hooked up tonight / tomorrow.

So after testing poormans way (jeep running disconnect bat, jeep died) figured it was not charging. So i test the back post on it with multimeter, 25 volts...???

Why am i getting 25 volts?

I dont know how to test the voltage regulator, but. It was replaced early this year...

Only other possible problem, i grounded the alt out against the fender one day (while replacing cam gear, didnt disconnect bat before starting... :banghead:)

Possible i fried the alternator? Should i have it tested?

:)JR,
That alone may have compromised that socket & wires...............Check all your wires for heat or discoloration and change them if it makes you feel better. Take an Ohm meter and check there resistance against a new piece of wire.
:D:D:D:D

:D Thanks Guys!

So what I am wondering now is was it my 55AMP output alternator that burned up the connection? A fluke of old wire plug moving around? a result of a arc / spark made?

It's a 10 gauge wire, so I'm thinking it "should" be fine... :confused:

~ JR
JR I run a 100 amp alt. on a 10 ga. wire, so you should be good.
It's a shame that most auto places can't find anyone that knows anything.

It's a shame that most auto places can't find anyone that knows anything.

And it really wasn't the poor "kids" fault that originally tried to help me.

Everyone else there was too engrossed in there playful banter with each other at first, then by the last 5 min it got amazingly busy all of a sudden...

he was trying though...

I made it clear to the manager, I had nothing but respect for him trying and he was as helpful as possible, it was the other little :censored: that cause my irritation and unpleasantness to come out! :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom