AMC type 20 rear pinion seal

AMC type 20 rear pinion seal
And I will say -

There was never a CJ (post 86) model 20 that had a crush sleeve. This post will bite me if I am wrong.

Mr. CJ,

So are you saying by my CJ being an '82 it IS a shim pack instead of the crush sleeve? You say post 86. Assuming my rearend is the original. Funny thing is this anyway afterall this discussion. I went out to the driveway today to remove the rearend cover to drain the old oil and put new in. After spending a considerable amount of time under the Jeep scraping and cleaning everything even close to where the inside of the rear will be exposed once the cover is removed I noticed the new seal area wet. I figured just some water or solvent splash from when I was cleaning the cover area. Wiped it dry. Little while later....wet again. The new seal I believe is leaking already after only a 5 minute ride. I did notice yesterday when I had the yoke in my hand it did have a really nice groove wore in it from the old seal and was a tad pitted in some spots. Instead of removing the cover, I decided to just top the oil off and stop there. I will get me a new yoke and do this all over again. At least I know what to do this time.
One more thing, like I said I was under it for at least a couple hours and plenty of time just to look around down there. I just recently, like last week put a front clutch shaft seal in the front of the tranny when all along I thought for a month it was a rear main seal on the engine or a leaking oil pan gasket. Now that that is all good and dry, I see another leak, and I had noticed it before. The back of the Transmission where the adapter plate bolts on there is a big flat gasket that is the same funny shape as the adapter plate. It is that interface where I am leaking. Question is, what is the easiest way to get to that gasket? Can I just remove the Transfer Case and work on the tranny while it is still in the Jeep?

Thanks guys again and have a nice week.

Sid

Dammit... I ment pre 86! All CJ'S pre 86 (well they all are) do not use a crush sleve. The crush sleeve was added to on of the older, weirder Jeeps.

I didn't read every post but here is my two cents. I rebuilt two model 20's for my Jeep over the years and both of them came stock with crush sleeves and that is was I replaced them with. My Jeep is a 1980 and both axle were from the same year narrow track model.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom