Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
You've been doing a very nice job all the way though, i am starting one with my 74 CJ5 i know who to ask if i run into a problem

Thanks Brew -

It's been a fun project so far. Getting anxious to get it running. I've learned a couple of things in the process. First, you've got to have a lot of patience. I've done stuff only to find out a month later that what I did won't work or I didn't account for something else and I have to re-do what I did. The second thing is don't throw away any old parts until you're done. I tossed the old wiring harness cause it was really junk, not realizing there were connectors on it that don't come with new harnesses and that you can't buy.

Anyway, Good Luck with your 74,

Bill:chug:

I had a pretty busy weekend with the Jeep, but not a lot to take pictures of.

I jacked up the rear end, pulled the shims off the spring perches and bolted it all together. The yokes on the rear diff and the tc are now about the same angle. Installed both drive shafts, finished the wiring on the engine, secured the wiring harness under the body from front to back, put lubricant in the diffs, tc and tranny, bench bled the master cylinder and finished hooking up the brake lines from the prop valve to the mc. If I can round up an assistant, I'll get the brake system bled tomorrow. All in all it was a pretty productive couple of days.

A friend of mine is cutting out the gusset plates, I'm going to use to support the radiator to the frame, with his plasma torch and I should get those tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have the radiator in by the end of the week.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my checking account :rolleyes:) I've got to go out of town next week for work, so I probably won't be able to try to get this thing fired up until I get back :(.

JB - Thanks :chug:

Was gone all week for work, so I didn't get anything done on the Jeep. I did get the radiator mounts all put together and test fit before I left though. Seems like it will work pretty well. Pulled it all back apart and got it painted before I left, so I'm hoping to have it all installed this weekend.

Took an overall picture of the Jeep. Man it's really shaping up. Trying not to get impatient and screw something up so close to the end.

I've gotten a bunch more little stuff done over the past week or so, unfortunately my wife went to a Quilters Show this weekend and took the camera, so no new pics.

I got the radiator final mounted and all of the hoses hooked up. I finally got the brakes bled out after several tries. I found that unless you bleed the brakes immediately after bench bleeding the MC, the MC will lose it's prime and you have to re-bleed it. It also takes a lot of pumping to get fluid through empty lines. Anyway, that's done. Then I went over every bolt the suspension and checked the torque. I missed a few the first time. Made sure I had greased all of the fittings that need grease.

Today, I hooked a battery charger up to the electrical system (for the first time) to see what works and doesn't. Had my neighbor, who is an electrical engineer (and a car guy) come over to help me test and for moral support. Most everything works great. The fuel gauge, that was given to me, is bad and I've got to replace it. I've got a couple of dash lights that aren't working that I need to trouble shoot. Had the starter relay wired backward and one wire to it that I overlooked connecting. Other than that everything worked great. I put oil in the engine, hooked up the battery and turned it over a couple of times to check to make sure the starter turn and everything turned free.

Got to go out of town for work again for part of next week, but hopefully I'll get it fired up and running next weekend - Bill :chug:

Sounds like you are getting real close. Are you dreaming about it I know I would be. :D

Sounds like you are getting real close. Are you dreaming about it I know I would be. :D

Dreaming about it day and night. Having a hard time getting any work done because I keep sneaking off to the garage. :rolleyes:

I had to go back to the first page and compare the pics again.

:chug: :notworthy:

Thanks Pete - My nephew, who I got it from, comes over and I have to make him stand back from it or he'd drool all over it :laugh:

So everything is wired and plumbed. The engine's got oil in it and the cooling system is full of coolant. Tested all the lights, the wipers, turn signals, hazard lights, the heater blower, the horn, etc. and that all works great. Unfortunately, the starter won't stay engaged. Engages for about 2 seconds, then kicks out and spins. The starter is new, the ring gear on the flywheel is new, the starter relay is new and all of the wiring is new :confused:

I'll get it figured out eventually, but it's a bit frustrating being this close.

Anyway, here is a few pics of the finished engine compartment and dash.

Well I think I have the starter issue sorted out, so tomorrow will hopefully be the big day. Got some help coming over, so I'm hoping if I can't figure out how to get it started somebody else will.

I wish good luck.

You can jump from bat + direct to starter to figure out if wiring etc or mechanical in starter etc right?

Let us know how it gos Bill! U the man!

Cant wait to see this rig in person one of these days!

:chug:
Jr

Well I'm back in the 1 step forward and 2 steps back mode again, except this was about 10 steps back. Had been struggling with what I thought was a starter issue all week. It seemed like the starter was not staying engaged and was struggling to turn the engine. I took the starter out and had it tested (it was new). The parts store said the bendix wasn't staying engaged like it should and replaced it. Installed the replacement, but it still wasn't turning the engine the way it should. Pulled all the plugs and it spun the engine just fine. So we put the plugs back in and decided to try to see if it would fire. Hit the starter and it turned the engine over like it should and it was sounding like it was about to catch when it went CLANK - WHIRRRR. Pulled the starter out and the ring gear was hanging loose around the flywheel. :bang:

So anyway, spent the past 4 hours pulling the tranny and Transfer Case so I could get the flywheel off. Will be having a serious discussion with the shop that resurfaced the flywheel and installed the new ring gear tomorrow. :mad:

Well I'm back in the 1 step forward and 2 steps back mode again, except this was about 10 steps back. Had been struggling with what I thought was a starter issue all week. It seemed like the starter was not staying engaged and was struggling to turn the engine. I took the starter out and had it tested (it was new). The parts store said the bendix wasn't staying engaged like it should and replaced it. Installed the replacement, but it still wasn't turning the engine the way it should. Pulled all the plugs and it spun the engine just fine. So we put the plugs back in and decided to try to see if it would fire. Hit the starter and it turned the engine over like it should and it was sounding like it was about to catch when it went CLANK - WHIRRRR. Pulled the starter out and the ring gear was hanging loose around the flywheel. :bang:

So anyway, spent the past 4 hours pulling the tranny and Transfer Case so I could get the flywheel off. Will be having a serious discussion with the shop that resurfaced the flywheel and installed the new ring gear tomorrow. :mad:

:)Billy,

WOW it seems your having Fun? I have seen many methods of putting ring gears on.........from heating them up to pressing on cold to tack welding them in several locations..........That's to bad........hopefully your luck will change.
:D:D:D:D

Dang Bill... read this after you first posted... that SUCKS! Figured I'd give you a day or two to "calm" before posting.

How'd it turn out (the discussion) with the machining shop?

Hate removing tranny, and would REALLY hate it if I was as close to starting up that beauty as you were / are too :censored: :bang:

Hoping luck will turn around SOON!
:chug:
~ JR

JR - I guess :dung: happens, but it is frustrating. The guy at the machine shop said he's been getting a lot of :dung: from his suppliers that's made in China and it doesn't always react the way it's supposed to. Said to bring it back and he would order a new ring gear and try again. He said if he can't get it to shrink up properly he may have to "spike" it to get it to stay in place. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that it will need to be welded or some other mechanical method of fastening the ring gear.

Guess I've just got to "Keep on keep'n on".

Bill :chug:

Thats too bad, Bill. When youre doing the right thing, and replacing what you should, the last thing you expect or deserve is a failed part. Supplier cant really do much except fire his supplier. Even if he does, it wont fix your problem. Hope it works out well in the end.

I got the flywheel back on Friday. The machine shop apologized profusely for the failure. Said he'd never had that happen before. He got a new ring gear installed and I asked if there was anyway to test it to make sure it didn't happen again. He told me to wait until I saw it, he guaranteed it wouldn't come off.

Attached are a couple of pics of what he did. Looks to me like it will work.
Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are now back in. Going to try and get the tranny back in today.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom