California model or 49 state model

jswatson0917

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 304 T-150 D20 D30 AMC20
2000 Subaru Outback Limited
Does anyone know how to tell if your jeep has California emissions or 49 state emissions. I have tried using the vacuum diagrams and mine doesn't match any of them and there are no emissions labels left on my Jeep. Thanks

do you have any tags or numbers from the stock carb or distributor ?
air pump, air injection, and cat converter would be the norm for that year regardless.
Carbs and distribs had minor differences for CA and 49 state.
if not tags and/or been modified, no way to tell really.
and keep in mind, after so much time has passed, components get swapped around.

I have an air pump no cat and there are no tags on anything

the following is from the factory Jeep parts mnaual; notice all the different part numbers for cat converters in 1979.
80-90 are CJ5 /CJ7 application.
this first page is glossary or index of symbols for the next page:

1979emissions.jpg

this chart shows all the possible examples for the drivetrain combinations.
study the footnotes and note the different examples; use the page above to decipher:

1979emissions1.png

this page shows carburetor applications for 1978 and 1979; note that in 1979 there appears to be no application for CA V8 models; the numbers in parenthesis indicate the tag number we would be looking for:

1979emissions2.png

here's a chart on cat converters; you would indentify your old one before ordering the correct new one; note all the possibilities for 1979:

1979emissions3.png

some more cat converters:

1979emissions4.png

here's the footnote page refering to footnote 4-31, which tells you how to identify the correct cat converter.

1979emissions5.png

There were also factory TSBs (technical service bulletins) covering a lot of these components as well. 1979 seems to be the beginning of the end for the V8s in Calif, as we were dealing with emissions recalls for EGR valves, back pressure sensors, delay valves, etc etc. And, by 1981, we no longer saw a V8 in CJ models here in Calif ever again.

Anyway, maybe these might help you if you can magnify and print them out.

Thanks this will give me a good start for what I need :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom