Clutch crickets

Clutch crickets

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
I've got a new noise that I can't quite figure out. When I am driving I hear a crickets sort of sound. Kind of a high pitched chirping. When I push in the clutch, the sound goes away and I can coast quietly. I don't hear it when going slow but it is consistent when going over 20mph.

Anybody heard anything like that before?

Thanks!

could be your throw out bearing.. just going by what you have said, cause my wifes mustang did the same thing... the noise kept getting worse and worse till one day the clutch just went out.. so i would say the first thing to check is that bearing. Its probably starting to fall apart.

If it's just that chirping for now, it will probably still last a bit before falling apart. Normally when they are about to fall apart you can hear them grinding something awful!

But I think he's probably right, unless it's possibly the water pump etc and only squeeking when under load? Just thinking out loud here...

:chug:

~ JR

yea i would agree about it lasting a while till it starts to grind really bad.. but you dont want it going out on you while going down the road. As far as the rebuilding it part.. you can probably get a chilton manual for your jeep and it should show the workings and everything of the clutch, or look it up on google.. i have done that many times with things and found close ( not quite the same pic and instructions) things to what i was doing and worked it out that way.

hopefully someone here has a site or something for you to go to! Im tryin to do the best i can but im fairly new to the jeep world myself. :chug:

Pretty basic

Pull the drive shafts
I like to pull the Transfer Case off the T-14
Pull the T-14
Bell housing and starter
Pressure plate
Might as well replace the clutch plate and pressure plate
re-surface the flywheel
Pilot bushing
Put it all back together

2-3 hours with air tools :)

What he said... I started to post the following and got a little :wasted::wasted::wasted::wasted: at bowling...

Im not positive the particulars for your year / componants.. But this is how i did mine... But up front i should tell you u really should get a book or look up torque specs at the least for your particular vehicle...

I bought clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and alighnment tool, all before doing anything so to minimize downtime.. I would suggest changing the pilot bushing and all above since you're in there... Pulling the tranny is a :censored: so i wanted to be done...

Disconnect:
Driveshafts ( front and rear) speedo cable and any other wiring... Its a whole lot easier to take the inspection plate ( floorboard) off too at or before this point...

Then get the bellhousing and crossmember bolts broke loose ( dont take out yet...) get a jack under backside of transfer cast.

Take xmember bolts out... ( im sorry i just got done at leage bowling and had 2 pitchers of beer... So needless to say im no longer able to give accurate directions... Ill post the rest tomorrow am if you r still interested.). ;)
~ jr

nctom, check your u joints first. A dry/bad u joint will make a similar sound when starting to go bad.

Sorry about that... One too many :beer:

nctom, check your u joints first. A dry/bad u joint will make a similar sound when starting to go bad.

He makes a good point :cool: Should look over everything you can first before Throwout bearing replacement...

73CJ had a much easier directional post there... For the most part, you just got to get to it...

If you do go in there though, the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and resurface flywheel would be advised if you have the means...

~ JR

ahh yes, the dreaded clutch crickets. nasty little buggers. i would check the u joints on the drive shaft before i pulled the tranny down. just my 2 cents

Wow, 73...2-3 hours sounds like a record! I bet I can make it take all weekend! Thanks for the details, I have the chiltons and the jeep rebuilders guide.

I'll be doing this on my back, so I'm trying to get my research done before I get in over my head, literally. I will grease up my u-joints first and see if anything changes.

not sure what the crickets are but it sounds like your throw out bearing is making the noise if it stops when you engage the clutch thats my best geuss. hope it helps I have a question for you Im buelding a 77 CJ5 and cant figure out the clutch mount it wasent there when i started .and i have no holes on the frame.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom