Clutch Preference?

Clutch Preference?

Dandee

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 Golden Eagle 401 cid, T-18, D20, AMC 20, D30
Looks like my clutch is about done. I'd like to try replacing it myself, but don't know what kind to buy. All the parts sites post several different clutch kits for the same vehicle and I'm sure that's based on targeting a specific application. I don't plan to do anything more than climbing a hill or two, crossing a creek or playing in a once in 5 year snowfall. For general purpose street and wheeling does a stock replacement fit the bill? There also seems to be many different clutch brands out there, anybody prefer one over another? Is there a brand or vendor to stay away from?:confused:

With what you have, and what you will be doing, a stock replacement will be fine. Centerforce seems to be the most talked about, and pretty well liked.

center force units are great for drag racing.
but they hold way to hard for offroad
When off roading we really want a bit of slip here and there, that way we do not put things in to much of a bind and brake it. We also rely on some items to work like fuses. I do not recommend stuff like OX u joints that are unbreakable when we do that we decide to use a 300 dollar driveshaft to save a 12 dollar u joint, use the Spicer unit, and let it blow before you twist a driveshaft. I know I know but I always shake my head when I see that twisted up shaft that would be strait if they had used a 12 dollar Spicer u joint and let it blow. Now back to the clutch, buy a good quality stock type clutch, will it slip sometimes, yes but then those are the times we need it to slip. A Centerforce will always lock up and it is designed to stay that way putting strain on other places of the drive train.
Remember, when you do stuff for offroading, you have a different final target than a road vehicle, we are using a lot of upgrades to put traction at as many wheels as we can afford. That means we can build up driveline bind very easy and driveline bind breaks stuff. So what can be very important for a drag car is not for a wheeling machine.
Just a opinion, but I hate to hear the sound of snapping metal 15 miles off pavement.

I am going to respectfully disagree with Baja Edition. I would go with Centerforce. They make several clutches. There are only three that even close to being considered:
1. Centerforce I
2. Centerforce II
3. Centerforce Dual Friction
The Centerforce I is close to stock.
The Centerforce II is heavy duty. It would be the last clutch you ever buy. Centerforce says it is for towing and off-roading. This is the clutch I would recommend.
The Centerforce Dual Friction is high performance engines. As Centerforce says this clutch is for high performance street or the strip.
I have owned the Centerforce II in a CJ7 . The clutch pedal is only slightly more firm than with a stock clutch. When you have to play the clutch it is easy to let it slip in a controlled fashion. For the most part you will think you have a stock clutch in your jeep. That is until you have spent many years abusing your clutch.
Check out this link:
Centerforce Clutches

let me back up and say, the centerforce Dual Friction

A good quality clutch will work but you also want a good pressure plate.
The borg beck setup is better for offroad/trail/daily use the diaphragm type
is for daily driver usage. The borg beck type will provide better clamping power
that you need in a jeep.

Check this out:
In the Clutch - Pressure Plate Basics - Car Craft Magazine

Diaphragm type pressure plate:

116_0407_05_z+clutch_basics+diaphragm_pressure_plate.jpg

Borg Beck type:

116_0407_06_z+clutch_basics+borg_beck_pressure_plate.jpg

Thanks for the comments to this point. My CJ is not a daily driver and I'll be lucky if I get to drive it every weekend. The diaphragm style seems to be preferred for those who like an easier pedal and that's OK by me too. I guess my hesitation is why spend another $AMC 150 + for a clutch kit that likely won't be used to its fullest potential? But then again, why does much of the general public even own a 4wd in the first place? Because it's there when you need it! I only want to replace it once, so right now I'm leaning towards a CF 1 or 2.

The pedal pressure between the 2 isn't noticable.
Get the borg beck setup, plus yours will probably
already be one stock anyway. LOL My '79 CJ5 was.

You raise a good point. I've owned it for barely a month now and the PO said he didn't touch the drivetrain while he owned it. So I'm not sure what type pp is under there. Guess I'll find out when I drop it.

I use a centerforce 2 in my cj with a AMC 304 and a tremec 176 . I bought the whole kit Presure plate, Clutch ,Fly wheel, and all the bearings. And i have to disagree with it holding to tight . Iv been wheelin my jeep and have not had any trouble at all with mine . Nor any problem on the street . I do agree that high dollar u-joints is a bad idea. There needs to be a weak link .Id rather change a u-joint on the trail than a Transmission or worse!!!! But Centerforce is what al the crawlers and wheelers around here use and everything i hear about them is good . Just be sure no matter what you do to go all the way dont skimp on the small stuff like turning the flywheel and new throw out bearing and pilot bearings . Note : One bad thing about centerforce is they dont send you a alighnment tool with your clutch so you have to go get one and new bolts . Oh and my clutch is easier to use now then the stock one was (pedal is not heavy or squishy ) You really cant tell its there until you use it wheelin

Well the consensus here and elsewhere is Centerforce so I'll do what others have done. This past weekend I found a little more clutch with an adjustment to the lower clutch rod, but I figure by Christmas it'll be time. I'll let you know when I pull the trigger, thanks for all the help. I feel good about the decision.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom