Csi...cj t-176

Csi...cj t-176

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
So, I changed the fluids in my differentials and Transfer Case . The gear oil in each was old, but had no other issues...Then I got to the tranny...

The gear oil was milky white! So, now I am trying to figure out how only the tranny could have gotten water into it, when nothing else shows signs of water....

Oh, I guess I should add that the PO for whatever reason had teflon tape on the filler plug for the tranny...but I can't imagine how any significant amout of water could have gotten in that way...:wtf:

Ha......He had teflon tape on the plug because he has over tightened the plug and the only way he could get it to stop leaking was teflon:chug: the water could remain a mystery

From the title I am guessing you have a T-176 . The air vent is on the top of the cover plate and does not have a remote air vent. This can manage to take in a little water in the rain, it doesn't take much to make a milk shake. I have pulled the vent cap out and tapped the hole for a 1/8" npt/1/8" compression elbow. from there a piece of polly hose routed to the fire wall and zip tied to the wiring bundle. this gets you a couple of feet above water level. You will need to go to a plumbing supply for the 1/8" npt tap.:cool:

From the title I am guessing you have a T-176 . The air vent is on the top of the cover plate and does not have a remote air vent. This can manage to take in a little water in the rain, it doesn't take much to make a milk shake. I have pulled the vent cap out and tapped the hole for a 1/8" npt/1/8" compression elbow. from there a piece of polly hose routed to the fire wall and zip tied to the wiring bundle. this gets you a couple of feet above water level. You will need to go to a plumbing supply for the 1/8" npt tap.:cool:

Now that's an interesting modification! But, why would AMC build it that way?! Does that mean everytime you drive in the rain, you have to change the tranny fluid (without the modification)??

Ha......He had teflon tape on the plug because he has over tightened the plug and the only way he could get it to stop leaking was teflon:chug: the water could remain a mystery
We'll see what happens 'cuz I took the teflon off!!

Now that's an interesting modification! But, why would AMC build it that way?! Does that mean everytime you drive in the rain, you have to change the tranny fluid (without the modification)??
There is rain and there is RAIN. I can't answer that question with an intelligent answer. the vent is at about the same height as the axle vents are, go figure. This is the only way I can see the water getting in.:cool:
I would use Teflon on the plug, it's a pipe plug and will work best if you use a tape.:D

If the Jeep was offroad at some point in it's life and crossed a few streams or mudholes you will ge water in the vent. When Ihad the T-176 I had a tube attached to the vent spot and ran the vent high up under the hood along with both differentials. That will cure your water issue.

So, I changed the fluids in my differentials and Transfer Case . The gear oil in each was old, but had no other issues...Then I got to the tranny...

The gear oil was milky white! So, now I am trying to figure out how only the tranny could have gotten water into it, when nothing else shows signs of water....

Oh, I guess I should add that the PO for whatever reason had teflon tape on the filler plug for the tranny...but I can't imagine how any significant amout of water could have gotten in that way...:wtf:

If your Transmission has a leak, it can work both ways.;)

If the Jeep was offroad at some point in it's life and crossed a few streams or mudholes you will ge water in the vent. When Ihad the T-176 I had a tube attached to the vent spot and ran the vent high up under the hood along with both differentials. That will cure your water issue.

all my vents terminate high up on the firewall, but I still got water in the Transmission when I went floorboard deep because it went in through the shifter tower.:eek:

Thanks guys! I will have to experiment with moving the vent tube around!

you know this is wierd because when i pulled my tranny (T-176 ) mine had a vent tube that ran up to the firewall, with a factory clip that held it to the firewall, and little white vent cap. you could tell it was factory it has the squeeze clamps, and the hose looked just as old and crappy as the axle vent tubes

My 85 and my 82 both have this set up.
you know this is wierd because when i pulled my tranny (T-176 ) mine had a vent tube that ran up to the firewall, with a factory clip that held it to the firewall, and little white vent cap. you could tell it was factory it has the squeeze clamps, and the hose looked just as old and crappy as the axle vent tubes

I'm replacing all my vent lines, i don't know if I'm blind or the fumes in the garage are getting to me but i cannot find the Vent on my T-176 . Can anyone give me some direction?

It gets worn like most parts and allowed more water in, tap and remote it up high!

It should look similar to this (bottle cap looking thing) and be up near the shifter:

fbc4.png

Last edited:
I had a friend who worked for AMC on the line.He said at the end of production before Chrysler a lot of things got left out,changed etc.Lot of hard feelings,so i imagine some of that got taken out on the vehicles.:(

It gets worn like most parts and allowed more water in, tap and remote it up high!

It should look similar to this (bottle cap looking thing) and be up near the shifter:

fbc4.png

Thanks, but still can't find it, I'll have to dig out my spare and take a look at it to see if its different?, Anyone have a picture of where the vent is on a T-176 ?

The T-176 /77 does not have a dedicated vent. It vents though the shifter. Should have a rubber boot on the shifter tower to attempt to keep water out.

^ Thanks, good to know I'm not losing my mind.

Maybe I'll look at adding a proper vent or vent bellows and sealing off the shifter as best as possible for a little extra security.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom