Damn it part 2

Al Lindner

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 7 258 CID T176
2004 F-150
3.jpg

1.jpgHere is the cause of the noise. I found a small stud in # 3 cylinder when I pulled the head. I think it came from the carb. The piston no longer moves up and down when i rotate the engine.

i assume the other pistons move up and down. sounds broken to me

Sorry to hear it,but on the plus side you'll know that there will be alot of life left once you get the new motor put in ;)

Well fellas I DONT think it will BUFF OUT but I did know the day was coming that it would need a transplant. I was hoping that day would be a few months out .... not two days after I got it home. I bought it because it has a pretty decent body and most of it is there. I needed a project and now I got one! Now I just need to take a deep breath slow down and decide what I want to do first.
When I had my CJ5 11 years ago I drove it to work every day So if anything broke I had to hurry and get it back on the road. I have the luxury of time now and more dough (dont tell the Jeep though) so I'll get it right and 'll keep you guys updated

broken connecting rod.
What are you going to do now? rebuild? another AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Well There is a pretty substantial ridge at the top of the cylinders By the time I pay for the machine work and a rebuild kit It will be close to the cost of a reman. fresh AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l So I guess thats the way I'll go. I dont think I'll be bashing it likeI used to.

Not to toss a wrench in the plan. Have you considered getting a 4.0 and using the FI ? It is an easy swap and the benefits would be tremendous.

Lots of 4.0`s out there and many come with the harness and ECM. A few wires and you are good to go.

The FI swap was the best thing that happened to my 8, brings the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to life! If you can, you wont regret either a 4.0 swap or just the FI added to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

keep the torn piston as a memorabilia piece. its good luck so you dont blow another one haha

alot of people use them as ash trays but some arnt smokers haha

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom