Destroying a Distributor

Destroying a Distributor
Hey I was having this same problem with the distributor eating gears, I first tried replacing the timing chain and distributor gears with the stock ones but they only lasted a day. I ended up going to bulltear.com and ordering the match set of hardened gears and my 79 CJ5 is back to running. Thanks for the post they really helped!

And that my friends, is why we do what we do! :chug:

Was reading on this subject on Jeep-cj.com site..... Not the best way to end the thread. It ended with the exact OPOSITE of what the tech leader of the thread, TeamRush, said to do.

Harnened gears are still a problem... getting better but... still a huge issue.

I have all the suggestions TeamRush has suggested and yes it does work.

Fred

Looks like I'm a little late for this one...

Maybe for the next guy!

#3....
Watch what you get from 'Bulltear'...
They have HARDENED steel gears that will eat the camshaft gears in just a few minutes of operation!

Most of the 'E-bay' gears are also the hardened steel gears, and cause REAL problems!

#4. If you have aftermarket distributor, like the GM HEI Clones that are selling for cheap,
Remember, many of them have SHAFTS that are too long, and that will not only kill the drive gear, but it will kill the oil pump too!

Same with housings that are too long, they will kill the oil pump along with the drive gears!
---------------------------------

Some reading if you are interested,
GM HEI vs. Motorcraft/DuraSpark Ignitions

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom