Differential advice

Differential advice
Ive stayed away fron the scout axles because ofthe caster issues.. I hear they are set at 0 degrees which makes for bad road handling.

Caster can be corrected with a grinder and a mig welder.

Droooiiddd 2

The problem with the degree shim is you can improve the caster but that entails lowering the rear of the axle and making the u-joint angle worse.
I don't know why the scout was built with 0 caster angle. I have heard it is because the Scout was built for Bias Ply tires but that doesn't make much sense to me. Most Scout owners now run radials without a problem. But if you put those same axles (with 0 degree caster) onto a CJ then you have bad handling no matter what tires you run. You have to cut the steering knuckles off, rotate them and re-weld them back on.
:confused:

The problem with the degree shim is you can improve the caster but that entails lowering the rear of the axle and making the u-joint angle worse.
I don't know why the scout was built with 0 caster angle. I have heard it is because the Scout was built for Bias Ply tires but that doesn't make much sense to me. Most Scout owners now run radials without a problem. But if you put those same axles (with 0 degree caster) onto a CJ then you have bad handling no matter what tires you run. You have to cut the steering knuckles off, rotate them and re-weld them back on.
:confused:

The Scout may have had the springs at a slightly different angle than the CJ. I know that if you put on a lift shackle on a front axle, it changes the caster angle a little.

I've been looking into scout 44's front and rear too, mainly because disc brake set up already on front, and 44 front would be sweet, but had no ide about this "caster angle" issue... The extra width I would assume would be workable... I need to try to find some info on what all is entailed with this Cutting rotating and re-welding you speak of BusaDave... To see if i still feel it's an option for me...

:rolleyes:

just got a quote from currie enterprises for a Dana 44 front and rear. around 7k. so a bit pricey :D

out of curiosity....how do these things hold there value? for instance, if i bought these and used them for about a year or so and kept them in very good condition but for whatever reason needed to sell them, whats a ball park of what they would go for?

just got a quote from currie enterprises for a Dana 44 front and rear. around 7k. so a bit pricey :D

out of curiosity....how do these things hold there value?

Yes, these HD aftermarket axles hold their value.
These axles don't often get high mileage but even when they do you can resell them at a good price.
Currie Enterprises used to be the ultimate axles in the '80's. They still make good axles but I have heard of some quality issues. On the other hand Dynatrac is considered to be the best axle manufacturer.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom