drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)

drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)
I sent you a PM with some info Pete :chug:

Mechanical advance should be at its lowest point at idle, you should have your vac advance unhooked when testing so vac should not be an issue.

Rotate your engine clockwise direction by hand on the crank pulley nut until you are at top dead center “0” on the timing mark. Now take you distributor cap off and make a mark on the housing that lines up with the distributor rotor. Now have someone watch the rotor as you turn the engine the other direction again by hand. When the rotor moves stop, the number of degrees shown on the timing marks is how much stretch or nylon ware you have, the chain can jump at 12 deg. never seen one move that much at an idle though.

Try this start the engine and hold your hand over the carb but don’t completely block it off, does it the engine smooth out? Pull a smaller constant vac line so that you have a vac leak, does that help the idle?
I could do that to mine, so does that mean I have a vac leak?

I could do that to mine, so does that mean I have a vac leak?

Not necessarily.

If putting your hand over the carb to simulate the choke helps your idle, it just means you're running too lean - possibly because of a vacuum leak, possibly because your idle mix is too lean, possibly because your carburetor needs a kit.

If pulling a vacuum hose to introduce a vacuum leak helps, THAT just means you're running RICH instead of lean. That may be because of your idle mix, or your carburetor might need a kit & an internal adjustment, or the needle & seat might need to be changed (they're part of the kit).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom