drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)

drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)
It's just the air cleaner - a four-barrel works just fine with power brakes as long as you use a skinny air cleaner or one that hangs off the side. The 4v carburetors have nearly exactly the same footprint as the 2v carburetors do.

Of the carburetors you've listed... I like the Motorcraft, the Holley, and the Weber. Dunno squat about the Barry Grant.

BG is a Holley copy.;)

It could be even cheaper, I picked up a tbi from a 4.3 blazer off CL for $200, got everything, throtle body, wireing harness, sencers,and even the steering colum. The 4.3 was running but had a bad rod knock so I know everything works.
I just picked it up for extra parts. But I did have to pull it myself, but at least I know what I got.

thats a good find, i hoping to run across a setup like that, might even get one free i have alot of friends that mess with s-10's and other lowriders, i used to have a 99 xtreme with 4.3 dropped on 18's, shaved door handles, shaved bed seems, and other assorted shaved stuff on the body i was gonna put airbags on it but never finished it, sold it to fix up the jeep $3,500 minus paying a few bills, got the CJ7 back on the road and in driveable condition

You know what they say;
thats a good find, i hoping to run across a setup like that, might even get one free i have alot of friends that mess with s-10's and other lowriders, i used to have a 99 xtreme with 4.3 dropped on 18's, shaved door handles, shaved bed seems, and other assorted shaved stuff on the body i was gonna put airbags on it but never finished it, sold it to fix up the jeep $3,500 minus paying a few bills, got the CJ7 back on the road and in driveable condition

Well with some hesitation I decided to read this thread from the beginning and now at 90+ days with some "weather related delays" Elwood still does not heve this thing running right? There has been some very good sugestions in between the static and if he would just get back in the garage and get this done(no more carb. toss either) I think there's gona be alot of celebration.:chug:
Did not seem to get any aplause but I want to try the top dead center in one direction then rotate the reverse while watching dist. to check your timming chain slack trick, now that's smart!

the timing chain trick wouldn't work so good if your distributor gear was wore out like mine was on the factory dist.

True, but I still liked the idea.

You know what they say;
well theres nothing wrong with bags and low riders. i'll tell you something a little funny though, my buddy had a 95 extended cab sonoma it had a drop kit on it when he bought it but he wanted it lower, so the moron took the springs completely out of the front, along with the shocks, he took all but 2 leafs out of the rear, and put 6" worth of blocks on it, we rode around in that thing for over a year before he sold it just like it was, every time you hit a bump the cd player would fall out of the dash, and you couldn't get a pack of cigarettes under the frame. i know now that it wasn't a smart thing to do but we were ignorant kids in high school. i fully intend on building another truck but it will get finished this time. now back on topic sorry elwood

Well with some hesitation I decided to read this thread from the beginning and now at 90+ days with some "weather related delays" Elwood still does not heve this thing running right? There has been some very good sugestions in between the static and if he would just get back in the garage and get this done(no more carb. toss either) I think there's gona be alot of celebration.:chug:

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!

I will no longer allow myself to be humiliated and discgraced by an inanimate antique machine. I am victorious. I may have lost many of the battles, but the war is mine :laugh:

I ended up buying another Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 series carburetor online. Found a guy from upstate NY that rebuilds them. I bought a 1.14 venturi size (roughly 300cfm) 2100 originally off of a 1965 289. Less than $AMC 150 shipped, still A LOT cheaper than a Weber, a Holley or a Barry Grant. I ended up putting in a different power valve, because I learned that a power valve should be approx 1/2 of manifold vacuum. I pull 17lb of Hg at idle, timing set at 10 degree BTDC. The new carb had a 6.5hg power valve in it, I switched it to a 8.5. I also downsized the jets from 50's to 48's, but the 50's may go back in.

A very, very sincere thank you to everyone who has kicked in ideas, thoughts, oh by the ways and the occassional dose of bs (even if I did deserve it) :chug:

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!

I will no longer allow myself to be humiliated and discgraced by an inanimate antique machine. I am victorious. I may have lost many of the battles, but the war is mine :laugh:

I ended up buying another Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 series carburetor online. Found a guy from upstate NY that rebuilds them. I bought a 1.14 venturi size (roughly 300cfm) 2100 originally off of a 1965 289. Less than $AMC 150 shipped, still A LOT cheaper than a Weber, a Holley or a Barry Grant. I ended up putting in a different power valve, because I learned that a power valve should be approx 1/2 of manifold vacuum. I pull 17lb of Hg at idle, timing set at 10 degree BTDC. The new carb had a 6.5hg power valve in it, I switched it to a 8.5. I also downsized the jets from 50's to 48's, but the 50's may go back in.

A very, very sincere thank you to everyone who has kicked in ideas, thoughts, oh by the ways and the occassional dose of bs (even if I did deserve it) :chug:

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your accomplishment.:chug:

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!

To sum up; you replaced the carb with an almost identicle carb. Care to venture a guess what the problem with the old carb was/is??

remember; all glory is fleeting.

:dbanana: Good for you, just in time for summer.:chug:

I'll buy the first round!

Heck, I BOUGHT the first round - it's sitting on the desk in front of me right now... :)

To sum up; you replaced the carb with an almost identicle carb. Care to venture a guess what the problem with the old carb was/is??

I honestly believe it was a combination of a vacuum leak, and a bad carburetor. I'm still not positive where the vacuum leak was, but I think it had something to do with the adapter plate all along. As for the carburetor, either I am either no where near as good at rebuilding carburetors as I think I am rolleyes.png, or there was a reason that I was able to purchase that carb off of ebay for so cheap.

remember; all glory is fleeting.

As fleeting as it may be IO, I'm going to bask in it for now smiley3899.png

I honestly believe it was a combination of a vacuum leak, and a bad carburetor. I'm still not positive where the vacuum leak was, but I think it had something to do with the adapter plate all along. As for the carburetor, either I am either no where near as good at rebuilding carburetors as I think I am rolleyes.png, or there was a reason that I was able to purchase that carb off of ebay for so cheap.

As fleeting as it may be IO, I'm going to bask in it for now smiley3899.png

I had a Jeep with a carb vacuum leak issue.
After much trial & error, I isolated it to worn throttle shaft bushings.
Yeah, believe it or not!;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom