Driveline swap?

Driveline swap?

Burntwick

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj5, 1989 Chevy K5 Blazer
Hay everyone. Im planing to swap the 304v8 out of my 1977 CJ5 for a chevy 350 crate motor I have and a 350 turbo Transmission . Is this a possible swap and what kind of Transfer Case should i use? Also how much fab work will this intail? I also want to swap out axles, What axles will best suite the driveline im planning to instal? Thanks guys

it is perfectly possible, you'll need an engine mount kit something like this
Chevy Small Block V8 Engine Mounts for Jeeps
and an adapter for the Transmission to the Dana 20 Transfer Case that is already in your jeep like this Adapting the TH350 to Dana 18 & 20 Transfer Cases - Novak Conversions you'll also need a radiator although your factory one might work someone else can help you with that one. you may also need some drive shaft modifications. as far as axles, what are you planning to do with your jeep? if you don't mind me askin whats wrong with the AMC 304 thats alreay in it?

I highly suggest moving the engine as far forward as you can if you do this swap. The rear drive shaft angle of a CJ5 is extreme enough using a factory V8. Factor in the length of an auto and a Transfer Case adapter and you have one incredibly short drive shaft that even a CV shaft has trouble with the angle.

If your looking for more power - a 360 is a great factory swap... :)

Thanks for the info guys, it was my dads jeep and he passed away and its been sitting for about 14 years now and im starting a frame off job on it And make it as good as it was the day he drove it off the show room floor. Nothings wrong with the AMC 304 just old and tierd. I want to get more than 65 MPH out of it so im gonna change up the whole driveline.

More then 65? Heck, my 72 with a AMC 304 and (when I had 3.73) cruised at 70 on the interstate with 32's all day long. Drove from FL to Ky many times and never had issues.

Your 77 should have even lower gears. Let us help you, that CJ should easily be able to cruise at highway speeds...

BTW - Switching to an auto will still give you 1:1 3rd gear output ratio and maybe even less unless you have a lockup converter (converter slip) - you will not gain anything with your final gear ratio (no top end advantage).

Ya my dad had it geared real low, it was red lining on the highway at 65, thats why I thought an axle swap would remedy that problem. Am I wrong?

Nope - Your right - but we need to find out your gear ratio...

Jack the rear end up and turn a wheel one revolution and count the drive shaft rotations (if only one wheel turns - then rotate the wheel two times). That will tell you the ratio.

If the drive shaft turn 4.5 times you probably have a 4.56 gear. (let us know)

Also, if a gear was swapped - could a posi have been swapped in? If both wheels turn you have a posi (good). Check the front also.

Depending on what you find out about your axles, we can give you a better suggestion on what to do with you axles.

BTW - Sounds like you have a pretty good CJ! :)

Nope - Your right - but we need to find out your gear ratio...

Jack the rear end up and turn a wheel one revolution and count the drive shaft rotations (if only one wheel turns - then rotate the wheel two times). That will tell you the ratio.

If the drive shaft turn 4.5 times you probably have a 4.56 gear. (let us know)

Also, if a gear was swapped - could a posi have been swapped in? If both wheels turn you have a posi (good). Check the front also.

Depending on what you find out about your axles, we can give you a better suggestion on what to do with you axles.

BTW - Sounds like you have a pretty good CJ! :)
x2!

Thanks! Shes old but shes a champ. Ill jack it up and check the ratio tonight and get back to you. Thanks again for the the help.

Pretty sure your ratio is 3.07, you should easily be able to cruise on the highway.... What tire size are you running?

You have other problems if you can't hit 70 or so...

with 3;23 gears you should be able to run 80 all day.

i just have 32's on it. so why else would it be red linning at 65 on the highway if its not axels?

do you have a tac. in it? if so what are you calling red line?
65 mph should only be app. 2100 rpm

Last edited:
Its heavy in the red at about 6 grand in 3rd gear. And the Transmission is putting off alot of heat. Or at least i think its hot, maybe its normal.

And if you are "redlining" are you sure your in 2wd high? What Transfer Case and how many sticks?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom