drivshaft or just u joints

drivshaft or just u joints
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj-7 258 all stock
ok here i am again with another problem:) i know i need to replace my u joints i can hear them klinck around win i take off, i crawled under my jeep the other day to grease the u joints and drive shaft but win i put the grease in the drive shaft it all came immediatly back out is this normal? another thing is i grabbed the driveshaft and it moves a whole lot is it possible to have a bad driveshaft another thing is my jeep shakes win trying to take off at first i thought it was just because of the bad ujoint but now im wondering if its the drive shaft thanks for any feedback:chug:

u joints are relativly inexpensive, would start with them first. Its always better to start off with the most inexpensive part, :D

ok here i am again with another problem:) i know i need to replace my u joints i can hear them klinck around win i take off, i crawled under my jeep the other day to grease the u joints and drive shaft but win i put the grease in the drive shaft it all came immediatly back out is this normal?
This is probably caused by a plugged grease zerk. remove it and replace with new, then try to get grease into the joint.

another thing is i grabbed the driveshaft and it moves a whole lot is it possible to have a bad driveshaft
Where is the movement? if its at the splines (the narrow end) then yea, it might be time for a new shaft.

another thing is my jeep shakes win trying to take off at first i thought it was just because of the bad ujoint but now im wondering if its the drive shaft thanks for any feedback:chug:

It seems a lot of our CJs have the take-off hop. I can't remember what the cause is off the top of my head tho. Sorry.

You have bad U Joints. That's all that needs to be replaced. A bad U Joint can also give symptoms of a bad drive shaft. That's because a bad U joint wont hold the drive shaft in the correct location and it's like the drive shaft is out of balance.
You say the drive shaft moves when you pull on it. Is that movement at the U Joints? The only other place that there should be any movement on a drive shaft is at the slip joint. If the slip joint is bad it is possible to have side to side movement there.
I'm thinking you only need U Joints. They are a normal wear item. The drive shaft could (and should) last for the life of your jeep.

thanks for the addvice will crawl back under it tommarow after i get off work to see exactly where the movement is and im goin to try and replace the u joints this payday hopefully thanks again

And remember you don't have to replace them with the super strong high dollar bad <-BAD WORD-> ones either, the cheaper ones are good for better insurance, rather have them as a weak link than transfer load to something more expensive to break :chug:

And remember you don't have to replace them with the super strong high dollar bad <-BAD WORD-> ones either, the cheaper ones are good for better insurance, rather have them as a weak link than transfer load to something more expensive to break :chug:
X2
There is a huge range of U-Joints. Get $15 OEM U-Joints and keep them greased.
You could spend $AMC 150 , $250 or more for extreme duty U-joints. I think that is just an insane waste of money! As Robert put it it's better to break a $15 U joint rather than something much more expensive. Ox UJoints are one example of extreme duty u joints.
Ox U-joints - Heavy Duty - Info and Reviews

I always buy spicer joints, they are stronger than the cheap one's but not super expencive like the high dollar ones. Just remember if you break a ujoint under a load you will probally take the ears off the driveshaft or the front axle at the same time. So don't cheap out to much.

grease and check your U Joints often. I find a well greased u joint rarely breaks without warning. They wear out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom