Dumb question

Re: Vacuum advance

1. Is the hose running to the vacuum advance the "vacuum hose"?
2. If that is the vacuum hose, and the hose is alright, could the vacuum advance be what is causing my stalling problems?

Here is a link to a description of the problem i have been having.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/trouble-turning-staying-turned-4773/
yes the hose is a vacuum line. You need to get a vacuum diagram and check all of them out because if you are getting gas, and spark, then you need to see why you cannot tune it to run.
Tuning the vacuum system is very important to keeping it running at idle.
Vacuum advance is not at idle, it is while above idle, a ignition needs to be timed further in advance of TDC as a motor runs faster, the old school way of doing this during the carb/CJ days was a vacuum advance system. Modern cars use the computer and distributors are a thing of the past.

Thanks Baja.

Does anyone have a good link for a AMC 304 CJ7 vacuum diagram?

been looking but hard to find.

how many hoses are there to check?
have you gone down to a liabrary and look at a Chiltons or Haynes manual. I think many of them have diagrams in them so go check them out, if they work get a copy
I personally have never messed with a AMC 304 so I do not know but I do know that vacuum leaks will destroy the ability for a engine to idle.

Interesting. I may give that a try, but I think I may have hit them all, and sadly no luck, so I think I may need to consider giving the carburetor a rebuild :-/.

doing a rebuild is good but you still need to chase down all those vacuum ports and deal with them

Baja I think many of my ports may be plugged from the previous owner, and I am a little worried. Here is a picture that looks rather similar to mine, the picture is from a 76 AMC 304 .

http://img36.picoodle.com/img/img36/9/8/28/f_engineupdatm_9a1fb52.jpg

The PCV is plugged

The Manifold is plugged

and

The EGR CTO is essentially plugged (it runs right back into itself)

Other than that,

the small hose just on the left of the carb, I replaced (but it was okay, no change)

and the vacuum advance hose is fine.

There is no hose on the right side of the carb, nor does there appear to be a hole.

(all references of left and right are relative to the picture)

you need a vacuum diagram and some vacuum line and fittings

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom