first in a long line of questions

first in a long line of questions

njdave

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 cj5,232 i6, 3spd t150,spicer 20 transfer case,
i have a 78 CJ5 three speed Transmission . my question which i feel stupid even having to ask is how do i shift the Transfer Case ? this is my first jeep and my only 4 wheel drive with a Transfer Case like it. i also have locking hubs.:confused:

No need to feel silly, I had to learn by experimentation also. I am sure others will correct me, but here goes.

The Transfer Case has 2H 4H 4L and Neutral.
Stop the jeep, shift the Transmission into neutral and then shift the Transfer Case . I experimented in a parking lot so I could hear and feel the differences between the settings.

You drive around all day in 2H (2 wheel drive, high).
If you shift your Transfer Case into Neutral, your Transmission disengages also, so that function is pretty obvious.
4H (high speed) and 4L (low speed, more torque) are for four wheel drive. To make this work, you have to lock your front hubs. Rotate the knob on your hubs to the locked position. Be sure to unlock them when you shift back into 2H for road travel.

I am sure there is more to it than that, but its a start!

First and foremost, fill out your profile, so that we can help you out more. Does the shifter knob have the pattern on it for 4 wheel drive? This will help you get familiar with where things are at on it. To begin, you need to have the from hubs locked in, you will turn them in the direction that says lock. Some hubs are a full turn, others are only a quarter turn. Main thing, turn it until it stops. then you will want to either be at a stop, or moving very slowly, and pull the Transfer Case lever towards the 4H(4 High) direction. You will feel it slip in, similar to the way the Transmission shifts. These are the basics for any 4 wheel drive, the shift pattern is what differs. Post up pics if you are not sure of what you have, and most of the guys here will be willing to help out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom