front axle offset??

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
Has anyone noticed if their front axle is offset a little to one side or the other?
I was installing the new PS box on my CJ5 , and while doing a rough alignment, I noticed my front left tire is offset about 2 inches to the left. The right one seems to line up directly with the rear tire.
Knowing AMC and Jeep's quality control, I'm thinking it might be normal production tolerances :laugh:

I do have a Superlift SoftRide suspension lift, and a shackle reversal, but those measure out to be correct, so that is not the problem.

Has anyone noticed if their front axle is offset a little to one side or the other?
I was installing the new PS box on my CJ5 , and while doing a rough alignment, I noticed my front left tire is offset about 2 inches to the left. The right one seems to line up directly with the rear tire.
Knowing AMC and Jeep's quality control, I'm thinking it might be normal production tolerances :laugh:

I do have a Superlift SoftRide suspension lift, and a shackle reversal, but those measure out to be correct, so that is not the problem.

X2 on the Quality control, but I have not run into that particular issue myself.

Sounds like a normal old CJ to me... Your 74 is 35 years old... Many things have happened to the old girl over the years. I bet it was 1" out on either side when she was made... :)

WOW how did you do that playing in the mud :confused:

WOW how did you do that playing in the mud :confused:

I'm not sure when it happened. Everything seems to line up all right (springs, hangers, U-bolts, ect...) just the axle seems to be moved over a little.

On a related note, is there a difference in the WMS of a stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 in the intermediate CJ axles? That could help explain some of the offset, since the right tires seems to line up ok.

Not real sure about the 44, The WT 30 is about 1 1/2" wider than the WT 20. something like 54 1/2" and 56"

well the driver side axle "DOES" stick out right at 1" further than the passenger. :confused: Normal?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks