Front axle service procedure

Front axle service procedure

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
How does one go about greasing the bearings in a model 30 front end?
I have no noise or anything but it's about the only area I have left that's not been rebuilt or serviced yet.

Wheel bearings or spindle bearings ?

Whatever is easilly serviced, Looking at the manual the spindle bearings appear to be relatively easy? Not sure about the axle bearings.
Maybe it's something not to worry about?
It's got 72,000 mi. on the clock and 32 years old and my guess is it's never been done.

Whatever is easilly serviced, Looking at the manual the spindle bearings appear to be relatively easy? Not sure about the axle bearings.
Maybe it's something not to worry about
It's got 72,000 mi. on the clock and 32 years old and my guess is it's never been done.

If I were you I would take the time to tear it all down. If the bearings are good repack them.
It's good to know how to do it, and things that have been together for 32 years sometimes don't want to come apart. So pick a time now before one of them go out, and you can take all weekend to do one side if need be.
Some day when that front axle u-joint goes out you will need to know how it all comes apart.;)

If I were you I would take the time to tear it all down. If the bearings are good repack them.
It's good to know how to do it, and things that have been together for 32 years sometimes don't want to come apart. So pick a time now before one of them go out, and you can take all weekend to do one side if need be.
Some day when that front axle u-joint goes out you will need to know how it all comes apart.;)
Kinda what I'm thinking, I plan on flat towing this thing alot this summer and at 65mph for several hundred miles at a time the bearings are gona get a work out, beyond whatever has allready happened in the last 32 years.
Thanks.

Kinda what I'm thinking, I plan on flat towing this thing alot this summer and at 65mph for several hundred miles at a time the bearings are gona get a work out, beyond whatever has allready happened in the last 32 years.
Thanks.

To do the spindal bearings I think you will need a 2 1/16 socket for the spindle nuts, 4 wheel parts/4 wheel drive hardware has one for about $10 unless you can find one localy, I couldn't, a pair of spring out snap ring pliers, medium size and some allen wrenches to take the hub off. Oh yea a torque wrench to preload the bearings when you put them back together.:cool:

Figures, I have a complete socket set up to 2". No 2-1/16 though, should be able to get locally though.
Thanks.

Figures, I have a complete socket set up to 2". No 2-1/16 though, should be able to get locally though.
Thanks.
Spindle Nut Socket and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

This one is like a piece of pipe that has the sides pushed in with a 3/8" ratchet hole in the plate welded on the other end. Am impact socket it isn't. Sears didn’t have one , even for $50
I am pretty sure that is what you need, the later ones used a socket with 4 prongs on the end of it, those you can usually find.
I also recommend a gallon of mineral spirits for cleaning and pick up new seals for the rear of the hub.
I took a lot of pictures the last time I did mine, three or four weeks ago. I have every intention of doing a PDF of the process, just haven’t found time. If you have any problems you know to holler.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom