Gear oil engine oil or Atf

Gear oil engine oil or Atf

jarbidge09

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 cj5
I use gl-4 80wt in my T-18 and D18 but they get very hot. I have read of guys using ATF or 30-50wt motor oil because it runs cooler. I am considering this but would like some input also does it hurt the yellow metal? Thanks

I run what's in the book.
But I run a good quality oil, try a synthetic.
Rotella is what I run.

question.......
I have the T-5 and I have to replace the rubber boot cover on the slave cylinder(throw out bearing) and when trying this I was going to remove the hydro slave but it started leaking fluid around the boot on it(not the same boot).
what is the best way to remove the hydro slave without damaging the slave or boot.

I need to get the rubber back on the side of my tranny to keep any dirt or trash out.
any help?

The T-18 needs 80 or 90 weight oil.
Some transmissions such as the T-5 or T-4 use ATF fluid.
The weight of the oil won't make too much difference in the temp. CJs have a lot of heat under that Transmission hump and I don't think changing the oil will make a difference.

Last edited:
question.......
I have the T-5 and I have to replace the rubber boot cover on the slave cylinder(throw out bearing) and when trying this I was going to remove the hydro slave but it started leaking fluid around the boot on it(not the same boot).
what is the best way to remove the hydro slave without damaging the slave or boot.

I need to get the rubber back on the side of my tranny to keep any dirt or trash out.
any help?
Your question might get lost in this thread.
I am a little confused by what you are saying. The throw out bearing is inside the bellhousing but if I am not mistaken the clutch slave cylinder is on the outside of your bellhousing ('82 4 cyl). It sounds like the seal on your slave cylinder is leaking. You should replace the entire cylinder.

What type of instrument are you using to verify the oil temp?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom