Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build

Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build

GravyProv1

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 304V8, AMC20 Rear, Dana30 Front, T150, Dana20 xfer. 2.5" ProComp Lift. Fiberglass everything.
This is the build of my 1979 CJ7 . This was a Jeep owned by my late grandfather who passed in 1995. Jeep had basically been in a barn until it was finally given to me last September 2011. I've been working on it a little at a time since last year.

The engine and drivetrain are all stock and I don't plan to change it. Has a 304v8, T-150 3 speed, AMC20 rear diff, Dana 30 front diff. Jeep only has about 80k miles, so motor and drivetrain are in good shape.

I'm by no means a mechanic, so I had the front/rear differentials gone through by a local shop. Bascially new seals, bearings and brake hardware. Did change rear axle to a 1 piece.

Here are some pics at the beginning of the project.

Here are some pics since I have started the rebuild.

New fiberglass body delivered last week.

Got a good deal on it I think. $2k for the body, newer style roll bar and a set of nerf bars still in the box.

Same friend that sold me this also has a brand new one piece front end for about $600. He's going back to all metal on his project.

I have new metal fenders and my hood/grill are in good shape.

I'm still wrestling with going with one piece front end. Opinions vary I guess.

This is the build of my 1979 CJ7 . This was a Jeep owned by my late grandfather who passed in 1995. Jeep had basically been in a barn until it was finally given to me last September 2011. I've been working on it a little at a time since last year.

The engine and drivetrain are all stock and I don't plan to change it. Has a 304v8, T-150 3 speed, AMC20 rear diff, Dana 30 front diff. Jeep only has about 80k miles, so motor and drivetrain are in good shape.

I'm by no means a mechanic, so I had the front/rear differentials gone through by a local shop. Bascially new seals, bearings and brake hardware. Did change rear axle to a 1 piece.

Here are some pics at the beginning of the project.

:)Gravy,
I applaud you on going right to the meat and rebuilding things. Looks good.........was that a hunting rig for your Grandpa?
Keep up the good work!
:D:D:D:D

My grandad kept the jeep out on the farm. He taught me to drive in it. Lots of good memories in it. My uncle has had it since 95 and basically let it rot out in the field. I had asked my grandmother for it several times. Oh well. It's gonna be a sweet ride when I'm done.

My grandad kept the jeep out on the farm. He taught me to drive in it. Lots of good memories in it. My uncle has had it since 95 and basically let it rot out in the field. I had asked my grandmother for it several times. Oh well. It's gonna be a sweet ride when I'm done.

:)Gravy,

Nice to keep it in the Family...........
I got mine in 67 after it had been sitting on the dealers lot for two years. Got drafted & went to Vietnam for 26 months courtesy of the USMC and when returned hunted & Jeeped out of it all over the Western US till 1985 when I broke the front end on a hunting trip to Nevada. Towed it back home where it sat in storage till January of this year. Its now getting a face lift as we speak.................Nice to have an old friend home again!
I'm sure you feel the same way. Enjoy!
:D:D:D:D

Working on the glass tub. Transferring firewall holes from my old tub (Old Rusty).

Problem I am working on now is the new tilt column interferes with the brake pedal lever. It appears that the ignition switch/plug is about 1/2-3/4" closer to the firewall in this newer tilt column. Gonna have to move plug about 1/2" towards the dash to make it work. No biggie.

Next we are going to work on adding holes in top of tub for the heater vent/ducts/etc. Then brake lights, electrical holes, floor shifter, etc.

Planned to have it on the frame last weekend, but the steering column issue needs resolved first so I can get the column to firewall holes added.

Looks good mate !!
Nice to see a 79 !!

:chug:

Ignition switch problem fixed. Got the steering column clear of brake lever and marked brackets for holes in firewall. Had to slip the wheel on and check out the tilt action. And of course take a pic.

My plan tomorrow is to get all the holes in the tub done. Should be ready to set the tub on the frame next week.

Man I got with it Saturday. 10 straight hours on the tub. Got all of the holes in the firewall done, vent mounts in cowl done, shifter cover done, rear light / fuel fill done.

I added a pic of the work done to get the throttle cable attach just right. Cut out and riveted the original metal section from my old tub. Turned out really nice.

My buddy is coming over tomorrow to help get the tub mounted to the frame. Already has a couple of holes in the middle body brackets for alignment.

After dry fit front end, I'll take it all apart and coat the tub floor with Raptor Upol.

Got the tub on the frame. Working to get it all lined up.

Going over to my buddies tomorrow morning to help on his project. Gonna bring fiberglass one piece front end and windshield home with me.

Hope to get front and windshield dry fit next week. Then ready for paint. Raptor kit delivered yesterday.

Not much new. Did get my one piece front end and started to think about the fitup / mount. Doesn't really fit perfect width wise. Looks like it needs some guides to spread sides to match from of the tub.

I still plan to hinge at tub and pivot back against windshield. And got a fiberglass windshield too. I hear they have problems sealing, but we'll see.

Have a lot of parts to get powdercoated next week. Seat brackets, hinges, etc.

When I did my jeep I took the windshield frame to the glass shop and they broke two windshields tryig to get it in. Something about putting glass in a flat frame is really tough. I put the glass in the back of my wifes 65 chevy truck and it took me all day.

When I did my jeep I took the windshield frame to the glass shop and they broke two windshields tryig to get it in. Something about putting glass in a flat frame is really tough. I put the glass in the back of my wifes 65 chevy truck and it took me all day.
They are real easy if you know how you must have had some guys who didn't have very much experience because these new guys have never done a rubber set windshield because it's old school. I have been doing Autoglass for over 30 years and I laugh at these kids today when the get a rubber set windshield. They are like daa what do I do, I can cut and install a Jeep windshield in 30min.

Hope this picture is ok to see. I'm a machine designer, so I've made some CAD sketches for my one piece front end mounting. This is the free standing radiator mount and my hood latch/adjustment setup. My one piece front end is tub hinged BTW.

I've designed lots of other stuff for the rear bumper attachments, swing away tire carrier, frame mods, etc.

So I bought all the angle iron yesterday and I plan to get the radiator mount welded up this week. I'll post some pics later.

Hope this picture is ok to see. I'm a machine designer, so I've made some CAD sketches for my one piece front end mounting. This is the free standing radiator mount and my hood latch/adjustment setup. My one piece front end is tub hinged BTW.

I've designed lots of other stuff for the rear bumper attachments, swing away tire carrier, frame mods, etc.

So I bought all the angle iron yesterday and I plan to get the radiator mount welded up this week. I'll post some pics later.

Can't wait to see the progress on that !! :popcorn:
I have a heap of sketches lying around everywhere I keep getting up the Mrs for moving ... CAD drawings = Very cool !!

Nice. Heres a click free version of the sketch.

front_design_01.jpg

Radiator mount turned out ok.

Plan is to get front end fit-up this Tuesday.

What is that you have clamped in front of the radiator?

I've just got the radiator clamped up to the freestanding frame. Not transferred holes to frame yet.

Check the sketch of my setup.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom