Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build

Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build
Quick update on my build.

1. Finished the steel inserts for the dash / windshield. Made steel inserts with tapped holes and epoxied these permanently into the tub. This should help when we have to disassemble any components from the fiberglass tub.

2. Started wiring the engine compartment. Decided to go ahead and replace the stock distributor, coil, ignition with an HEI. Cuts down on a lot of wiring plus should be better all around performance.

3. Lot of pieces back from powercoater. Hinges, brackets, etc.

4. Finished fiberglass windshield assembly. All new hardware, linkage, etc. Just needs new glass installed.

5. Wheels / tires getting mounted & balanced.

Keep chipping away at it. Whatever date I keep setting to get it done, add another month to it... !!!

Gravy

Quick update.

HEI delivered yesterday. We feel this is a good upgrade to go ahead and do now. Eliminates lots of wires and should be better overall performance.

If anyone has advice or input on the HEI upgrade, please share.

Gravy

I think I still have all my info. I opted for them to email it to me so it's on my computer somewhere. PM me your email address in the mean time

Update from work done this weekend.

Finished the dash install, steering column install. Prob more work to finish checking all the dash wiring, but it all seems to work ok.

Finished and installed the free-standing radiator mount. Turned out nice I think.

Installed new HEI distributor. Baby started on the first crank! Needs a little timing adjust, but it was good to hear it run after 2 years since started restore project. Also replaced mechanical fuel pump with new electric fuel pump.

Got the new glass installed in windshield frame. Waiting on some new SS flathead screws for final windshield assembly to tub.

Next is to finish up some electrical odds / ends. Install windshield. Get the one piece front end mounted and fitup. Install all the new interior items: seats, belts, console, radio, etc.

2 more weeks... right.

dash_new_01.jpg
assy_01.jpg
assy_02.jpg

Gravy,

:)Looks nice............what did you spray on the floors?

:D:D:D:D

Hey thanks man. The floor is Raptor Upol kit. Turned out like a hard plastic version of the Rhino liner. Rhino has kind of a rubbery texture. This stuff hardens up more like plastic. Bought kit off Ebay for $125. Comes with more than enough to coat the entire floor and firewall. Also comes with a spray gun. Just scuffed up the floor with 60 grit, wiped down with acetone and shot it. worked ok so far. But it also has left the shop yet...

Hey thanks man. The floor is Raptor Upol kit. Turned out like a hard plastic version of the Rhino liner. Rhino has kind of a rubbery texture. This stuff hardens up more like plastic. Bought kit off Ebay for $125. Comes with more than enough to coat the entire floor and firewall. Also comes with a spray gun. Just scuffed up the floor with 60 grit, wiped down with acetone and shot it. worked ok so far. But it also has left the shop yet...

:)If you can is it possible to shoot a couple of closeups of the finish? And when you say it's more like a hard plastic does that mean it has a more polished smooth finish as opposed to a more course and perhaps non-slip type finish as I see with the Rhino type finish...........so in you mind would it be slippery when wet or not?

Here's a little better shot of floor. It is textured like Rhino. Pretty bumpy. But not soft rubber. I think it would still be good if wet. Downside to Rhino type is that it holds dirt. This stuff cleans up nice.

htr_installed_01.jpg

I have officially spent over $500 in stainless fasteners.

Just saying.

Gravy,

:)Thanks for the info I do have some Rhino in a service truck and although it does look good it does take on a dirty look over a period of time. I'll check that out on-line.

Ok, so we removed the mechanical fuel pump from the AMC 304 and replaced with an electrical pump.

Pros / Cons anyone?

Gravy

Ok, so we removed the mechanical fuel pump from the AMC 304 and replaced with an electrical pump.

Pros / Cons anyone?

Gravy

:)Most electrical pumps like to push rather than suck........and the install height is also important to not create any negative head pressure.........meaning pushing up hill............I'm sure you bought a known pump and its needs were probably explained in the Instructions.

Still working on getting the "Painful" wiring harness working. Many many issues.

Got a lot done this weekend. Drove it out of the shop and down the road. First time driving it since Sept 2011 !! Still have lots of small things to tidy up. But it's really getting there.

Finally figured out our wiring issue. Struggled with this one. We used the Painless kit that's completely grounded. Everything EXCEPT.. the parking lights. Finally drilled a hole in the metal light bucket and wired into the headlight grounds. Also needed the new headlight switch with the jumper. I had the older style. Now all lights work properly.

I think it looks great overall though. The ride wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But we just took it about 1/4 mile up the road and back.

Few more really good productive days and it we should really have it finished. Thank the Lord...

Gravy

interior_02__07-20-2013.jpg
interior_01__07-20-2013.jpg
full_assy_01__7-21-2013.jpg
full_assy_02__7-21-2013.jpg

Awesome!

Who's got two thumbs and is jealous? This guy! :driving:

Love it! That really came together. I must admit I am biased but love the black and white look, I did the same treatment on my headlight rings, I went with a little chrome on the rims, and black seats.

You do good work, I have been watching the thread really nice job.

Are you putting a top on it?

Troy Cantrell
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15075

That think looks fantastic!

Thanks for the comments guys. So much work on this Jeep. And about $12,000 so far.

For now due to money shortages... I am only going with a strapless bikini top. I have a new set of 2 piece soft doors. Will probably go with that until i can find a decent hard top this fall.

Now just finishing up some odds / ends on it. The new electric fuel pump has already crapped out on us. It was one we had on shelf for a while. Put an old used one on there and it worked fine.

Brakes still need more bleeding. But they seem to work ok for now.

I have bought 2 different oil gauges from Morris 4x4. Neither seem to work at all. Prob bad quality? Will prob just to to local parts store and get one.

Lots of small wiring jobs left. Front lights need to be ran inside one piece front end. Need to get rear lights wired up to harness. But the fuel sender works ok. Might need calibrated after we fill the tank...

But overall, I am really proud of how it looks. Just has a simple clean look to it. Just gonna try and drive it some and keep working out the bugs.

Gravy

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom