Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build

Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build
Latest pic from last night.

New electric fuel pump already died. Made in China... figures. Got a new one and seems to work well. And the Rugged Ridge seats are well...rugged. Poor quality overall. The fronts aren't aweful, but the rear fold / tumble is total junk.

Still need to find a decent oil pressure gage. Have bought a couple from Morris 4x4 and both ended getting all fogged up and just not working. The original gage works fine, so not a wiring issue I don't think.

Lots of small stuff getting finished up.

full_assy_03__08-01-2013.jpg

Wow...that's about all I can say. I didn't go through and read every post, but this is one amazing build.

Did you have to modify your seat risers for the new front seats? I have some racing buckets similar to yours, and I had to weld on new mounting brackets/tabs to my original seat risers for them to bolt on. Mine have quite a lean/rake to them, making me feel like I've almost got a "gangsta lean" when I'm in the driver's seat (partially due to my driver's seat riser being bent from a hard landing after catching some air out of a mud pit... :cool:). The seat backs are reclinable, but they are in their most forward position. I think I'm going to have to cut/modify my risers to make them sit a little more level. Did you have any issues with this?

Scooter,

Thanks bro. These seats were bolt right onto the factory sliders. I had a new set of fixed back racing seats that had a riser adapter. I hated them and traded out for these recliners. They look good but are not great quality.

Gravy

Some pics from yesterday. Man I really like the way this Jeep looks. Just has a nice overall solid look and feel to it. It is exactly what I wanted to end up with. Now the small details are driving me a little crazy...

Finished the final wiring on the front end lights and I'm happy with the way that all worked out. Everything works!! Nice.

Couple of things that need to be done. Need to get exhaust redone all the way back with new Flowmasters. Right now we just cut them back and turned down in front of rear axles. Didn't think it would be a big deal until i could afford the new exhaust system. But easing around town last night the fumes really go to me and my lady. So, need to go ahead and get it all new out to the back.

The newest elec fuel pump started making some chatter noise when I first turned the key on. THink we need to move it a little higher up. It's mounted on top of frame rail now. Plus prob add a rubber isolator.

Next is getting the new 2 piece doors mounted. Then the console and stereo system. Oh and i keep forgetting to attach the wipers... And the fender flares. And about 100 other small things...

Gravy

full_assy_01__08-12-2013.jpg
full_assy_02__08-12-2013.jpg

full_assy_03__08-12-2013.jpg

Just an update on my Jeep. Haven't posted anything on here in a while. But it's still a work in progress as they all are I guess. Added a pic of the interior. Nice clean look I think. The old AMC 304 runs pretty good. It's super cold natured, but once it gets warmed up it runs like a champ.​

Got the new soft top installed. Since the tub is fiberglass, I used some 5/16 brass inserts that I epoxied into the top of the tub. Really worked well. Since it is still kinda cold here, the top is really tight. So tight it actually tugs the windshield back and causes the doors to not really close well. Hope when warm weather gets here it will soften up a little. But i'm happy with the way it looks. Didn't realize it until my buddy mentioned the 33" tires look small now with the top on. Whatever...​

Did have the right rear wheel bearing go out. These were all new before, so not sure what happened. But replaced it no problem. If it goes out again, i'll be looking to swap the whole AMC20 with probably a Dana 44 .​

Brakes are working great now. Used one of those vacuum bleeder systems. Worked really well. Very easy. Nice firm pedal now and stops pretty well.​

Got the fender flares installed no problem.​

Still need to get the swing away tire carrier painted and installed. Need a spare tire too!​

That's about it.​

Gravy​

front_end_up_1.jpg
new_top_3.jpg
new_top_4.jpg
interior_1__01-26-2014.jpg

What's up guys, Gravy here. Haven't posted anything about my Jeep in a while. Just thought I'd post up some information and maybe ask a few questions too. Also below is a pic from about 2 weeks ago.​

Got the new exhaust finished up. Stock manifolds, Flowmaster 44s, straight duals all the way back behind rear tire. Sounds great!​

All the brakes are adjusted up and working pretty well. Just a stock master cyl with no power, doesn't really stop quickly but it works ok. Guess it's as good as it was when new.​

After replacing the RH rear bearing, the LH went out as well. Both bearings were part of the Crown one piece axle kit (get what u pay 4). About 800 miles since both were replaced and seem ok. I hope it was the guy that replace them. I replaced these myself and seem fine. If these dudes go out, I'm definitely gonna look to swap out with a Dana 44 .​

Lots of other items being finished up. Swing away spare tire carrier needs to be painted. I have my tire/wheel finally and a cover. Installed some new sun visors. New soft top is cool. Prob keep it like this for a while. Just like the option to protect quickly against rain.​

Now the body work. Still rolling with the original white gel coat on the fiberglass parts (tub, one piece front and windshield...). I keep the Jeep in my garage, so it's not out in the sun all day. Only gets out about once a week. My body guy says it will hold up this way for a couple years, but eventually the gel coat will break down and begin to oxidize. I have heard some Carnuba wax will help, but that will be a bear to get off when I do get around to painting it. Thing is, I really like the white color so I asked my guy if he could just shoot come clear over the gel coat to give it a seal and UV protect. Advice is appreciated guys.​

I know that's a lot. But been a while and it's just where I'm at right now with it.​

Gravy​

summer_2014.jpg

Looks great, clear coat will not give any UV protection.

Been a while since I posted anything about my project. Here's the latest picture. Just got back from paint yesterday.

image1.jpg

Looking Good!!:;)

I just read the entire post, you did a good job on the build! I really like the color. I'm also looking into some kind of blue. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom