Build Thread Gravy's 79 CJ7 Build

Quick update. We got a little work done last night. Tub located properly and bolted down to the frame. Roll bar holes transferred into the tub. Nerf bars rough located/clamped. Gonna weld on some tapped pads to the frame to attach the Nerf bars. Kit comes with 1/4" self-tappers, but I don't think that's strong enough (a common theme for me). Finally got the steering shaft removed from the steering box. Was pretty much frozen on the splines. But it's off and ready for clean-up / paint.

But our main goal was to get the front end mounted to the tub. As you can see, I'm tilting back. I just like the access to the engine area. Body man has a little work to do for cross-car fitup, but for the most part it really looks good.

Got my Corbeau seats on order Monday. 4wd Hardware had a good Cyber Monday deal going. Got 2 of the Baja SS fronts and a rear fold/tumble cover for about $450 delivered. No bad I think. Went with gray vinyl.

I like the front clip tilting back like that. Great for easy acsess to the engine. It wont tilt too far and hit the windshield frame will it? The seats sound like a good deal as well.I like that style. :cool:

Got my Corbeau seats on order Monday. 4wd Hardware had a good Cyber Monday deal going. Got 2 of the Baja SS fronts and a rear fold/tumble cover for about $450 delivered. No bad I think. Went with gray vinyl.

Should look great !!! :popcorn:

Haven't made time for the project in a few weeks. But, yesterday put in a full 10 hours straight. Here's what I got done.

1. Front end latch system built and installed. Added de-sta-co rubber clamps. Added rubber feet for up/down adjustability. Works pretty well I think.

2. Completed connection for clutch. There's still a lot of play in the pedal down thru the levers. Need to weld up / redrill some holes in the brackets and the main connector rod needs to be welded back up. Over the years all of these items have worn terribly.

3. Installed new Corbeau SS seats. Not happy with these. They look cool and sit great. But just aren't functional. The adapters lift the seats way too high. Steering wheel hits top of my legs. My 5'-0" wife cant even reach the pedals. Plus they tilt back too far. Gonna send them back to 4wd hardware and trade out for Rugged Ridge sport recliners. Ugh. I hate it when you drool over something for weeks, then get what you think you wanted and get totally disappointed.

Well, I have not been working on my project much lately due to some personal issues. But I've moved the whole thing over to my buddies shop so now I can get some stuff done.

Spent most of last Saturday cutting out the one piece front end - grill slots. Very time consuming. Burned up a Dremel in the process. Dang it.

Working towards getting the tub and front end ready to paint underside and inside of tub floor.

Too bad about the tool, but it looks nice!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Hope everyone had a blessed Resurrection Day!!

Got a little more done this weekend. Here are some pics of the finished tub. I used the Raptor Upol kit. I can say for now that the look and texture are exactly what I was looking for. Prepped/cleaned with Acetone, sanded with 60 grit, wiped down again and shot it.

Welding in some tapped plates for the fuel tank support. Should make removing the fuel tank much easier in the future.

Welded on some support plates for the Nerf Bars. Kit called to tap the frame rails, but I welded on some 1/4" tapped plates instead.

Got the dash about 75% complete / wired.

Suggestion to anyone going with a glass Tub: get the high end Painless Wiring Kit. Its only about $100 more than the other kit, but comes with a fully grounded system, all harnesses are already installed into the plastic covers... Really nice.

Next weekend I work on it should be able to get the tub mounted on the frame and finish up on the one piece front end.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida for spring break this week!

Thanks to my friend today, he helped work on the glass one piece front end. Got all the grill slots cutout and headlights installed. Looks pretty good.

Putting my teenager to work on the front bumper.

Tub is bolted down. Now we can really get moving on the final assembly.

Man, the Raptor Upol kit turned out nice on the floor. And yes, it's gonna stay the gel coat white for a while. No more money left...

But, so much left to do on this rig. Wow. Shooting for memorial day weekend to get it completed. Good luck, right.

It amazes me how fast some people can go through their projects. Yours is moving along fine and looks great. Nothing the matter with the gel coat white. :chug:

Took the day off yesterday and got a lot done!

All rear wiring done - Tail lights and fuel tank connected. Will need to get power to the lights to make sure all are hooked up correct before final tidy up on the wiring there. No side markers. I like the plain clean look.

All of the pedals and heater components installed. Modified the clutch link to add Heim Joints. Worked out great. No slop or play now due to wear from original linkage. Was easy to do. Can buy a kit for $80 or just spend $8 on the joints and thread the rod ends.

All brakes hooked up. Kept a non-power master cyl. Might swap to power brakes later...? This style really worked fine before.

Thats about it. 11 hours straight work. Really feels like we're getting there....

Thats great,nothing like a nice jeep rebuild and a story to with !!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom