Headers

Headers

Niedhogg

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains

'76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..
I need to order my headers soon, was wondering if there are any issues with the fenderwell style headers for the CJ7 . These are needed for side pipe installs correct?

I have hedman fender well headers that will be going on a fresh 360 with a 270 comp cam. The mufflers are polished SS Magna flow 6 inch round and 16 inches long. The pipes will exit out in front of the rear wheels. I am told that the setup will be loud and to expect to smell gas fumes when driving topless.

I like the look of mine, got the cheap ones from Summit. Had a few small issues with mine in particular, but all in all they are ok. I had to do some very minor trimming in the fender for mine, but you have a 7 so may have much more room!

I think when I finally get this how I want it, I may end up with something different though...

As gitz676 said... They are loud (depending on mufflers, but in general) and there is some exhaust smell etc. They also leave your muffler a little vulnerable to rock sliding, again in my case, and leave say "cherry bomb" mufflers easily detectable for spark arrester inspection / local law enforcement getting irritated at noise...

IMG_0400.jpg

IH26.jpg And you'll want to make sure you brace the muffler tips. These pics show some cheapo ones from Napa Auto pats like 16.00 or something.

I have hedman fender well headers that will be going on a fresh 360 with a 270 comp cam. The mufflers are polished SS Magna flow 6 inch round and 16 inches long. The pipes will exit out in front of the rear wheels. I am told that the setup will be loud and to expect to smell gas fumes when driving topless.
Loud and smelly, eh? I think I can live with that, takes me back to about every hot rod I had as a younger man!:D

So is it possible to do a true dual out the back?? I like to have options...

I had mine done by a shop years ago in Orlando. It is a true dual. You can see where the pipe exits at the rear corner of the tub. That keeps the exhaust from being sucked back into the passenger compartment with the top off.

left_over_mud.jpg

engine_is_out.jpg

ready_to_pull.jpg

1st_move.jpg

My exhaust is true dual...straight out the back. Easiest way to do it, it sounds great, and no obnoxious fumes. My exhaust is tucked up above the frame rails for clearance and I run glasspacks to maximize the room.

Thanks guys, that's sweet! Something to ponder... I order headers next weekend, What kind will they be?!?!

I bought the Eldelbrock shorty headers now no longer produced but make for easy installation and hookup of exhast system.

Post up some pics when u install :cool:

Would like to see those...

Mine has new Hooker headers and dual exhaust. The PO had it done and you don't see any exhaust parts unless you stick your head underneath the body.

Last spring I dueled out my CJ5 . I went with in frame PaceSetters. If I remember right they are made of thicker walled tubes and a 3/8”-thick head flanges. They fit in my CJ5 with it's AMC 304 just fine. Its a tight fit on the right hand side of the gas tank. I have 2" pipe all the way out the back.

Mine has Headman fenderwell headers with Purple Hornie (painted black) 3" sidepipes exiting before the rear wheels. I couldn't be happier with the rumble :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom