Holley Carbs

Holley Carbs

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So i was calling around for rebuilds today for my carter and IO, i called Oreillys they are the cheapest here considering there is only two places that carry the rebuild. Ha but i called this local shop and the guy was really informative, he wants to me take the carb off and measure the bolts distances and such, because he wants to set me up with a two barrel carb on my one barrel manifold with an adapter plate. The only thing is they only sell Holley carbs i think i didnt go down there, but considering prices and that chance to upgrade and get better performance what do you guys think i should do. Also i e-mailed Brad at The Rap Jeeper, real nice guy also he has a aluminium matching intake and exhaust manifold(from a 77 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) along with a weber carb, he hasnt e-mailed me back yet though so i dont know the price, depending on the prices what should i do people.

The reason im back on carbs is because the money just isnt there for the body tub. :mad: atleast this way i can drive it. once i put the seats back in lol

Corey, let me say the 2 best days in a holleys owners life ie the day he finally gets it tuned, and the day he sells it,
I love both my holleys, but they are a PITA to tune up properly and change with elevation. I bought their book on tuning them and that helped a lot, I run the 350 CFM on my 225 CI engine and it took me a bit to get the idleing circuit correct. All other circuits were wonderful from the factory and float bowl level is extremely simple to set. The other holly I run is on a highly modified mazda rotary, running a 450 cfm 4 barrell, and it runs like a top, but again I had hell setting the idleing circuit.
Holleys rule, especially the big 4 barrells, but they are an aquired taste. Jets, springs, etc, you end up buying a lot of little stuff for them, But once you have them handled, they run super fantastic and are just to simple to clean and stuff. Great Carb, bad rep.

Corey, let me say the 2 best days in a holleys owners life ie the day he finally gets it tuned, and the day he sells it,
I love both my holleys, but they are a PITA to tune up properly and change with elevation. I bought their book on tuning them and that helped a lot, I run the 350 CFM on my 225 CI engine and it took me a bit to get the idleing circuit correct. All other circuits were wonderful from the factory and float bowl level is extremely simple to set. The other holly I run is on a highly modified mazda rotary, running a 450 cfm 4 barrell, and it runs like a top, but again I had hell setting the idleing circuit.
Holleys rule, especially the big 4 barrells, but they are an aquired taste. Jets, springs, etc, you end up buying a lot of little stuff for them, But once you have them handled, they run super fantastic and are just to simple to clean and stuff. Great Carb, bad rep.

I've heard that they are a son of a B**** to tune from my uncle hes a retired mechanic thats what kind of is swading me away from them he also told me to sell the jeep but hes crazy lol, but i also heard they are the best if you can keep them tuned longer then a week ha but this place sounds pretty good, and the there is the other carb that weber, and i havent heard great about those most people sell them before they even tune them in but the price is going to be the one i go for.

That weber carb comes with the intake and exhaust manifold so that would be nice to have but then the other place will make me an adapter plate and it will be brand new but i know both carbs are pricey,im going to go check that guys prices tomorrow and wait for brad to e-mail me back and decide.

The real question is though since i do live in montana in high elevations, which carb performs better in the altitude and which one is easier to keep tuned and less exspensive. I'm just look for opinions guys i love hearing the advice!

and sorry i couldnt jump on that Tub dave(CW) its gonna have to wait...:(

What do you want to do?
If you take any of the mentioned options you still won’t know an accelerator pump from an altitude compensator.
You can rebuild that one barrel carburetor, you can cause the jeep to run and you can do it for the cost of taking your girlfriend to dinner at pizza hut.
And when you have done it you will be on your way to becoming a wrench. Women will want you, men will admire you and elk will fear you. And you will not have to creatively engineer a throttle linkage for a carburetor that doesn’t belong on the motor.

So i was calling around for rebuilds today for my carter and IO, i called Oreillys they are the cheapest here considering there is only two places that carry the rebuild. Ha but i called this local shop and the guy was really informative, he wants to me take the carb off and measure the bolts distances and such, because he wants to set me up with a two barrel carb on my one barrel manifold with an adapter plate. The only thing is they only sell Holley carbs i think i didnt go down there, but considering prices and that chance to upgrade and get better performance what do you guys think i should do. Also i e-mailed Brad at The Rap Jeeper, real nice guy also he has a aluminium matching intake and exhaust manifold(from a 77 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) along with a weber carb, he hasnt e-mailed me back yet though so i dont know the price, depending on the prices what should i do people.

The reason im back on carbs is because the money just isnt there for the body tub. :mad: atleast this way i can drive it. once i put the seats back in lol

I think you need to get a book and a kit for your carter and save your money for the tub. If you take your time and rebuild your carter you will start learning about your jeep and when you get it running right you will feel great because you did it.:notworthy:
Just don't get flustered with it and it will be an enjoyable experience.

What do you want to do?
If you take any of the mentioned options you still won’t know an accelerator pump from an altitude compensator.
You can rebuild that one barrel carburetor, you can cause the jeep to run and you can do it for the cost of taking your girlfriend to dinner at pizza hut.
And when you have done it you will be on your way to becoming a wrench. Women will want you, men will admire you and elk will fear you. And you will not have to creatively engineer a throttle linkage for a carburetor that doesn’t belong on the motor.

True very true im just jumping the gun because im looking at it to upgrade it now, so i don't have to do it later but i think ill order the rebuild kit from O'riellys tomorrow, oh ya the girl is picky she wont ride in that unless it has different seats...but 32 years of age on seats can do that to a girl and elk already fear me and especially after i get the 300 weatherby mark V :cool: (for my dad) but thats for a different area ha

IMHO I don't like carb to manifold adapters, they are inefficient.
I do like "Holley 4 barrel Carbs", I've run them for decades. The ease of tuning is great. The new ones are much improved. Anti-blowout power valves, Quick change vacuum secondary springs, 4 corner idle circuit.
My wife's AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l has a 390 Holley & my rig has a 670. I have no experience with the 2 barrel, but I imagine it's a half a 4 barrel. Weber use to make a accessory metering block that you could change jets without disassembly. Called "Power Plates".Weberpower.png
Which made altitude easier to deal with.
WeberPowerPlate8.png

if you replace a working part with a better working part it is an upgrade, if you replace a part that does not work it is a repair.

I can't wait to see how this turns out:lpopcorn:.

I under stand "TMP Carbs" are now selling the "Weber Power Plates".
TMP Carbs

if you replace a working part with a better working part it is an upgrade, if you replace a part that does not work it is a repair.

I can't wait to see how this turns out:lpopcorn:.
;) well you can always assist me when i get stuck ill call ya! but that is what my plans are gonna be rebuilding, sadly i think they have to order it so it probably wont be till mondayish if i order it tomorrow, but then i still have to drop the tank,clean it, fix it if it needs it, blow the lines out, and clean off the carbon on the plugs...but i guess this is what happens when you get a JEEP :D

Corey,

I've got a YF sitting on a shelf in my garage from when I did my Motorcraft 2100 carb swap. It had been rebuilt a couple of years ago. You can have it for a spare if you want it, all I want is the shipping cost :chug:

300 Weatherby mark V, Corey, you the man, I had a custom Weatherby once, man it was nice, but after a year the guy I borrowed it from wanted it back. I think that and the 7mmMag built on a Mauser 98 action were the 2 best rifles I ever hunted with, That Mauser made whitetails tremble just knowing I was in the area. Had A Ziess scope. I also had a 375 H&H magnum I would load with 95 grains with a 270 grain bullet, I called it ELK DEATH, and it did crack a few spines. I sold that rifle and sometimes regret that sale. Still have the 7mm Mag. Now to find a 300 H&H mag, I know I would have to handload that as it is obselent by modern ammo manufacturers but you can still handload them and with 65 grains of rl and a 180 greain bullet they are suppose to get a velocity of over 2900 fps. that should be able to drop a muley easy. But then this is a jeep forum and we are talking carbs here, correct?

300 Weatherby mark V, Corey, you the man, I had a custom Weatherby once, man it was nice, but after a year the guy I borrowed it from wanted it back. I think that and the 7mmMag built on a Mauser 98 action were the 2 best rifles I ever hunted with, That Mauser made whitetails tremble just knowing I was in the area. Had A Ziess scope. I also had a 375 H&H magnum I would load with 95 grains with a 270 grain bullet, I called it ELK DEATH, and it did crack a few spines. I sold that rifle and sometimes regret that sale. Still have the 7mm Mag. Now to find a 300 H&H mag, I know I would have to handload that as it is obselent by modern ammo manufacturers but you can still handload them and with 65 grains of rl and a 180 greain bullet they are suppose to get a velocity of over 2900 fps. that should be able to drop a muley easy. But then this is a jeep forum and we are talking carbs here, correct?

I had a 375 H&H, I single handedly saver the state of Texas from being overpopulated by Cape Buffalo. Traded it to my vet for a 22 250 and a rather large vet bill. He was going to go to Alaska after a bear or a moose , can't remember which. Your right we can't start talking about fire arms , The discussions and opinions would run from primers to presses and a bunch of other controversy that started about the time the Chinese invented gun powder. Corey hijacked his own thread by bringing it up. So I don't feel to bag about talking about it.:shooter:

They are a incredible rifle my uncle and cousin shoot them, and with a 165 grain bullet those things are going at 3350 fps and with that 26 inch barrel it will shoot tighter groups :cool: but im going to get that rifle for my dad and get his 300 winchester mag model 70 ( a true winchester not remington made) but back to carbs, brad e-mailed me from the rap jeeper he wants 300 dollars for that intake exhaust and carb, so im saying no to that because i could get that tub for that price, so im going to order the rebuild today, and start reading that article IO posted and Elwood thank you if the rebuild doesnt work and the carb is FUBAR, ill probably be getting that from you thanks as always guys!

i shoot a old model 70 270 winchester with a old straight 4 power scope that gun was giving to me from my dad and i am going to continue to pass it down through generations :) it will never leave this family

Well i went to Oreillys today and order my carb rebuild kit with a nitro float, then talked to my neighbor and he said he would help, debating if i want to have help or do it myself. But then next week when i pick up the carb im picking up a gallon of carb cleaner, and then grabbing the air compressor and then im going to look for the stuff to fix the gas tank :cool: then i should be good to go, then finding some seats. Woo!

Well i went to Oreillys today and order my carb rebuild kit with a nitro float, then talked to my neighbor and he said he would help, debating if i want to have help or do it myself. But then next week when i pick up the carb im picking up a gallon of carb cleaner, and then grabbing the air compressor and then im going to look for the stuff to fix the gas tank :cool: then i should be good to go, then finding some seats. Woo!

IO’s advice for what it is worth;
There is very little heavy lifting required in a carb rebuild. Go solo; find a large clean work surface with a blanket, towel or old carpet on it so things will not roll around. Have good light. Find a place where you can be comfortable and concentrate. Rap music is out, C&W is OK my first choice is blues. Take lots of pictures make notes and label things. Read the instructions, read them again. It shouldn't take more than an hour to take it apart and about the same to put it together. Relax, take your time. You’re not doing this for best time, if you make a mistake you can take it apart and re do it. This is what we do for fun.
When this thing is done and you have everything adjusted your AMC 232 i6 is going to run smoother than the prom queens thighs and it will make you smile.
:D

If you get a chance this weekend could you take some good pictures of your tub and the places where it is cracked?:oops:

IO’s advice for what it is worth;
There is very little heavy lifting required in a carb rebuild. Go solo; find a large clean work surface with a blanket, towel or old carpet on it so things will not roll around. Have good light. Find a place where you can be comfortable and concentrate. Rap music is out, C&W is OK my first choice is blues. Take lots of pictures make notes and label things. Read the instructions, read them again. It shouldn't take more than an hour to take it apart and about the same to put it together. Relax, take your time. You’re not doing this for best time, if you make a mistake you can take it apart and re do it. This is what we do for fun.
When this thing is done and you have everything adjusted your AMC 232 i6 is going to run smoother than the prom queens thighs and it will make you smile.
:D

If you get a chance this weekend could you take some good pictures of your tub and the places where it is cracked?:oops:

Yes i can IO and thank you for the advice as always, and ill take some better pictures with my DIGITAL CAMERA and ill take a picture of where the tub is sitting on the front body mounts for ya even :D and i am not a big fan of rap,country yes :cool: and is Cab Calloway acceptable to you for the blues?

Yes i can IO and thank you for the advice as always, and ill take some better pictures with my DIGITAL CAMERA and ill take a picture of where the tub is sitting on the front body mounts for ya even :D and i am not a big fan of rap,country yes :cool: and is Cab Calloway acceptable to you for the blues?

How bout "Albert Collins" or the Beaumont albino "Johnny Winter"?;)

How bout "Albert Collins" or the Beaumont albino "Johnny Winter"?;)

Im not big on blues, but i enjoy it when i listen to it, im more of a country boy but i will listen to anything rap,country,rock and roll,metal, i could list way more maybe ill just steal my fiancee's bob marley cd haha

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom