Holley Carbs

Holley Carbs
Im not big on blues, but i enjoy it when i listen to it, im more of a country boy but i will listen to anything rap,country,rock and roll,metal, i could list way more maybe ill just steal my fiancee's bob marley cd haha

It's all about what puts you in the groove you need to be in, I like BB King for carburetors and electrician problems. Cool and slow, with plenty of decision. something you don't have to think about. Tracy Chapman is cool and laid back. Please don't get me wrong , I am a big fan of Country and western music , perhaps more to the point Texas honky tonk music. Ray Wylie Hubbard, Charlie Roberson, Steve Earl,Jerry Jeff Walker just to name a few. But these guys want to tell a story and require that you think about what they are saying and that just isn't where I need to be when I have to concentrate. I don't know about every body else but if the boom box on the shelf in my shop or the I Pod I plug into it quit working, I would have to close up the doors and clean up well enough to go buy another one. I think it's good to have a sound track for your adventure.
:dbanana:

LMAO! Carb rebuilding music! :notworthy:

If you want to see how to rebuild a carb from some one who has never done it before and have it work out perfect.

LOOK AT THIS THREAD -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/carb-rebuild-progress-holy-ton-parts-2342/

Rust Bucket did it exactly as a new rebuilder should! He layed out the parts, marked them and it went back together perfectly - and the most important part of the rebuild is that it WORKED PERFECTLY when he was done! :notworthy:

LMAO! Carb rebuilding music! :notworthy:

If you want to see how to rebuild a carb from some one who has never done it before and have it work out perfect.

LOOK AT THIS THREAD -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/carb-rebuild-progress-holy-ton-parts-2342/

Rust Bucket did it exactly as a new rebuilder should! He layed out the parts, marked them and it went back together perfectly - and the most important part of the rebuild is that it WORKED PERFECTLY when he was done! :notworthy:

I suppose you listen to talk radio in your shop??:barf:

Bucket was definitely in the right groove.:cool:

OK if we are going listen to the blues, then we want some Guitar Shorty for carb rebuilds, personally I prefer Zydeco for carbs, blues are for general fab work, and we use rap for brake work, that way we get sick of the music, use the damnit tool toward the cd player and sub the work out.

OK if we are going listen to the blues, then we want some Guitar Shorty for carb rebuilds, personally I prefer Zydeco for carbs, blues are for general fab work, and we use rap for brake work, that way we get sick of the music, use the damnit tool toward the cd player and sub the work out.

Hmm my fiancees friends dad listens to classical musical while he welds, but he also drinks and we think he may also smoke the reefer lol but boy does he make some bad <-BAD WORD-> custom front bumpers, as far as music ill probably just listen to whatevers on the radio or a cd lol, it doesnt matter the music as long as its soothing and relaxing it just matters getting the rebuild right!:chug:

Hmm my fiancees friends dad listens to classical musical while he welds, but he also drinks and we think he may also smoke the reefer lol but boy does he make some bad <-BAD WORD-> custom front bumpers, as far as music ill probably just listen to whatevers on the radio or a cd lol, it doesnt matter the music as long as its soothing and relaxing it just matters getting the rebuild right!:chug:

Corey, I think you got the point.:bounce:
keep your head in the game.
did you look at Rust buckets thread?

Baker; everything is better with SRV!

Corey, I think you got the point.:bounce:
keep your head in the game.
did you look at Rust buckets thread?

Baker; everything is better with SRV!

Yes, i have looked at rust buckets thread quite a few times IO, thats how im thinking im going to do it. But what are all the tools i will need to fully clean it. Right now all i know of is steel wool and piano wire lol and carb cleaner.

Yes, i have looked at rust buckets thread quite a few times IO, thats how im thinking im going to do it. But what are all the tools i will need to fully clean it. Right now all i know of is steel wool and piano wire lol and carb cleaner.

If you leave the parts in the carb cleaner overnight you should be able to blow it out with compressed air or aerosol carb cleaner. I like to leave it in the cleaner for a couple of days, I swear it soaks junk out of the casting itself. I use Barrymans chem dip parts cleaner, I have done three carbs with this gallon and think I can get two or three more with no problem. I don't know if one is better than the other, it's just a galon af good solvent with a removable parts basket in it for ths small parts. I like a small "acid brush " to get down into things If you are going to poke wire into things do not force it into holes, if it will not slide in with no resistance don't use it. I think I would pass on the steel wool too. If you don't have compressed air a can of the stuff you blow out the computer with should work.
One more little safety note; If you use aerosol carb cleaner or brake cleaner wear goggles. when you start spraying out the fuel bowl and such that stuff is likely to go anywhere. I can tell you first hand, even with safety glasses and not catching a direct shot , that :dung: freekin hurts when you get it in your eye!! and the possibility of loosing your sight are very real! At the time I thought I would get an entry in the Guinness book of world screw ups in the stupid self inflicted injuries category.:bang:

If you leave the parts in the carb cleaner overnight you should be able to blow it out with compressed air or aerosol carb cleaner. I like to leave it in the cleaner for a couple of days, I swear it soaks junk out of the casting itself. I use Barrymans chem dip parts cleaner, I have done three carbs with this gallon and think I can get two or three more with no problem. I don't know if one is better than the other, it's just a galon af good solvent with a removable parts basket in it for ths small parts. I like a small "acid brush " to get down into things If you are going to poke wire into things do not force it into holes, if it will not slide in with no resistance don't use it. I think I would pass on the steel wool too. If you don't have compressed air a can of the stuff you blow out the computer with should work.
One more little safety note; If you use aerosol carb cleaner or brake cleaner wear goggles. when you start spraying out the fuel bowl and such that stuff is likely to go anywhere. I can tell you first hand, even with safety glasses and not catching a direct shot , that :dung: freekin hurts when you get it in your eye!! and the possibility of loosing your sight are very real! At the time I thought I would get an entry in the Guinness book of world screw ups in the stupid self inflicted injuries category.:bang:

Well i will most likely being doing this at my dads house so, he has a 60 gallon stand up air compressor so im good for compressed air, and where could i got a "acid brush" and ill have to grab a pair of goggles so thats no big deal, but as far as all the stuff i should need this is what i have my list compiled to.
- gallon of carb cleaner
- canned carb cleaner
- goggles :cool:
- "acid brush" after you tell me where i can pick that up ha
- i have a parts washer at my dads to so i could use that also

do you recommend me letting it sit in the carb cleaner for a few days? or can i just soak it for a hour or two then brush it down.

Thanks IO for all the advice and support as many times as we have got side tracked with music and hunting haha :chug:

Well i will most likely being doing this at my dads house so, he has a 60 gallon stand up air compressor so im good for compressed air, and where could i got a "acid brush" and ill have to grab a pair of goggles so thats no big deal, but as far as all the stuff i should need this is what i have my list compiled to.
- gallon of carb cleaner
- canned carb cleaner
- goggles :cool:
- "acid brush" after you tell me where i can pick that up ha
- i have a parts washer at my dads to so i could use that also

do you recommend me letting it sit in the carb cleaner for a few days? or can i just soak it for a hour or two then brush it down.

Thanks IO for all the advice and support as many times as we have got side tracked with music and hunting haha :chug:
these are acid brushes , they are cheep and metal handled and disposable with short stiff bristles. radio shack maybe?? I got the last bag, a three year supply, at HF.
Acid Brushes: The Best Acid Brush for Your Job

I would use the parts washer to clean the grime off the outside before I dismantled it.

At least soak over night, longer is better. If I thought you had the patience and will power I would say a week. you can't leave it too long and the longer it stays the easier it is to clean. try for two days. :cool:

use screw drivers that fit the screws, especially if you decide to remove the jets which you really don't need to do. just make sure they are clean and the passages to them are clean. You can play with the jets on the next one.

single edge razor blades make good gasket scrapers. carburetor castings are quite soft you can gouge a gasket surface with a single edge razor blade. The carb cleaner should remove any stuck gasket material. Save any gaskets that come off cleanly. they are good references to where things came from and you may need to re use it, you never know. for that matter don't throw anything away, put spare stuff back in the box and save it for another time, especially the paperwork. think of the box on the shelf as a trophy.

A piece of glass with a sheet of fine emery paper laid on it is an excelant surface for flattening/polishing a gasket surface.

these are acid brushes , they are cheep and metal handled and disposable with short stiff bristles. radio shack maybe?? I got the last bag, a three year supply, at HF.
Acid Brushes: The Best Acid Brush for Your Job

I would use the parts washer to clean the grime off the outside before I dismantled it.

At least soak over night, longer is better. If I thought you had the patience and will power I would say a week. you can't leave it too long and the longer it stays the easier it is to clean. try for two days. :cool:

use screw drivers that fit the screws, especially if you decide to remove the jets which you really don't need to do. just make sure they are clean and the passages to them are clean. You can play with the jets on the next one.

single edge razor blades make good gasket scrapers. carburetor castings are quite soft you can gouge a gasket surface with a single edge razor blade. The carb cleaner should remove any stuck gasket material. Save any gaskets that come off cleanly. they are good references to where things came from and you may need to re use it, you never know. for that matter don't throw anything away, put spare stuff back in the box and save it for another time, especially the paperwork. think of the box on the shelf as a trophy.

A piece of glass with a sheet of fine emery paper laid on it is an excelant surface for flattening/polishing a gasket surface.

do you just use the acid brushes to clean everything and brush it down? you dont have acid that you use to clean the carb with them do you? and when i soak it, should i just soak it completely together or seperate the pieces? sorry if im asking alot of questions im just trying to gather all the info i can and are float levels hard to set?

do you just use the acid brushes to clean everything and brush it down? you dont have acid that you use to clean the carb with them do you? and when i soak it, should i just soak it completely together or seperate the pieces? sorry if im asking alot of questions im just trying to gather all the info i can and are float levels hard to set?

They are just called acid brushes. you don' t need any acid.
wash the whole carb in your dads parts cleaner tank, dry it off and dismantle it, lots of pictures and notes, put the parts in the carb cleaner and wait. remove parts, clean and inspect, reassemble.

The instruction sheet in the kit will give you information on setting the float and anything else that needs adjustment and there will be a device to measure it with. Its a walk in the park.

How is the tank coming?

:cool:

They are just called acid brushes. you don' t need any acid.
wash the whole carb in your dads parts cleaner tank, dry it off and dismantle it, lots of pictures and notes, put the parts in the carb cleaner and wait. remove parts, clean and inspect, reassemble.

The instruction sheet in the kit will give you information on setting the float and anything else that needs adjustment and there will be a device to measure it with. Its a walk in the park.

How is the tank coming?

:cool:

I havent started on it i have to get my insulated stuff on because theres 4 inches of snow on the ground and its cold as hell, along with that i have to clean the garage because the stupid fat weiner dog :dung:'s on the floor, then i can get going on it im probably going to take the carb off then work my way back, i just hate working on it when its this cold :mad: damn bolts always break!

I havent started on it i have to get my insulated stuff on because theres 4 inches of snow on the ground and its cold as hell, along with that i have to clean the garage because the stupid fat weiner dog :dung:'s on the floor, then i can get going on it im probably going to take the carb off then work my way back, i just hate working on it when its this cold :mad: damn bolts always break!

No arguments on the cold, pal, it takes the fun out of it for me too. I have spent the last month rearranging my shop and relocating all the stuff that is not “jeep” to the barn at the ranch.

Siphon the gas out and see what it looks like. That could tell you a lot about what is in the tank. If you get a lot of rust and solid stuff it will, in my opinion, need to be dropped. If you just have a lot of old gasoline you may be able to rinse it out a few times. It’s up to you, but the gas has to come out one way or the other. Try to get the hose end as close to the bottom of the tank as possible, that’s where the water and junk will be. I would pick up a new fuel filter as well, even if you just put a new one on.

this is going quite well, I think:cool:

No arguments on the cold, pal, it takes the fun out of it for me too. I have spent the last month rearranging my shop and relocating all the stuff that is not “jeep” to the barn at the ranch.

Siphon the gas out and see what it looks like. That could tell you a lot about what is in the tank. If you get a lot of rust and solid stuff it will, in my opinion, need to be dropped. If you just have a lot of old gasoline you may be able to rinse it out a few times. It’s up to you, but the gas has to come out one way or the other. Try to get the hose end as close to the bottom of the tank as possible, that’s where the water and junk will be. I would pick up a new fuel filter as well, even if you just put a new one on.

this is going quite well, I think:cool:

Sadly IO i did not get to the tank or anything tonight, my sister had a flat tire so i had to drive across town and fix that and roll around in the damn snow during 5 o'clock traffic at our mall....:mad: but ill be up bright and early because i have a job interview at 9 a.m., then after i ace that i will be getting to the cleaning part of the garage and then the jeep! so hopefully i can have it ready for friday, tomorrow this is what i hope will happen.
-take carb off
-drop gas tank
-clean the carbon off of spark plugs
-get rid of old gas in sewers... :p
Wednesday
-soak carb
-blow lines out
-get all the supplies needed
-then wait and wait and have it rebuilt by friday and running!

Sadly IO i did not get to the tank or anything tonight, my sister had a flat tire so i had to drive across town and fix that and roll around in the damn snow during 5 o'clock traffic at our mall....:mad: but ill be up bright and early because i have a job interview at 9 a.m., then after i ace that i will be getting to the cleaning part of the garage and then the jeep! so hopefully i can have it ready for friday, tomorrow this is what i hope will happen.
-take carb off
-drop gas tank
-clean the carbon off of spark plugs
-get rid of old gas in sewers... :p
Wednesday
-soak carb
-blow lines out
-get all the supplies needed
-then wait and wait and have it rebuilt by friday and running!

If you get the job it will be a good day!!
If you get the carb off it will be good.
Drain the tank and look at the gas. Put it in the snow blower or your truck a little at a time on top of a full tank; don't dump it down the sewer it ends up in the ground water and the water you drink. I'm not a tree hugger but dumping petroleum into the water supply never seemed like a good idea.
If you get the carb off and the gas drained you will have done well for the day. anything else is gravy.

If you get the job it will be a good day!!
If you get the carb off it will be good.
Drain the tank and look at the gas. Put it in the snow blower or your truck a little at a time on top of a full tank; don't dump it down the sewer it ends up in the ground water and the water you drink. I'm not a tree hugger but dumping petroleum into the water supply never seemed like a good idea.
If you get the carb off and the gas drained you will have done well for the day. anything else is gravy.

Ya the gas down the sewer was a bad idea if anything i will find a place for it, and i wish i had a snow blower the snow blower is my arms lol, and i really hope i get the job it would be nice along with the carb off and then wednesday will be a great day!:chug:

So IO i had my interview and since it is at a hospital,there is two interviews and im getting referred to the next person, then i will most likely have the job! and more good news the carb kit came in a day early! but,i have to wait till tomorrow till i have extra money but i will be able to get the carb off today and i will drop the tank to! and thanks as always IO for all the help and motivation! to bad its -6 today, im going to grab my carhart bibs today and do some work!

So IO i had my interview and since it is at a hospital,there is two interviews and im getting referred to the next person, then i will most likely have the job! and more good news the carb kit came in a day early! but,i have to wait till tomorrow till i have extra money but i will be able to get the carb off today and i will drop the tank to! and thanks as always IO for all the help and motivation! to bad its -6 today, im going to grab my carhart bibs today and do some work!
will be keeping fingers crossed.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom