identify a part

identify a part

pwrinkle

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960 cj5 4 cylinder
this is probably an ignorant question but i have a 1960 CJ5 with the 4 cylinder flathead?. On the firewall on the passenger side is a cylinder looking item. on mine it is not connected to anything else. looks like some sort of filter? there is oily goo in the bottom. what is it? i know i am sorry i dont have picture capabilities tonight. thnaks i will post pics tomorrow shane

Wait till Baja gets here - he will know for sure!

He's a west coaster so he works those weird odd hours... :)

Could you be talking about your oil bath air cleaner? bout 6" diameter and same tall. If so that "goo" is supossed to be oil and there would have been a hose to your air horn on the carb. from the top of this "part".

I need a picture or a better description

oh, by the way that is an f head, Jeep ran an L head and a f head, never a flat head.
here is the problem I am coming up with
I believe that PVC c
valves came in use in 65, not 60
air pumps and evap systems a while later (70 or so?)
so I am not aware of a Smog control system in use that had a canister in 1960
but POs have added strange stuff before
I was wondering if it was part of a oil bath air filter I am not aware of. and that is kinda a way I am leaning, Does your Jeep have a paper air filter or a oil bath? I really would like to see a picture of the unit and a wider one of the are it is mounted in, and oh yes a picture of how it is mounted to teh firewall.

Picture is worth a 1000 words.
On my 64 3B the only thing mounted to the passenger side firewall is the oil bath but hey we are talking apples and oranges I guess.
Just a shot in the dark.

Only other thing I could think of is the remote oil filter some one could have mounted there.need pics

yes it is a cylinder about 6" round and a little taller. oil bath filter? it has a strap around it that is bolted on the firewall. there isnt anything coming out of the carb to it. nothing is connected to it. probably was something though. what does it do?

looked it up. yes oil bath filter. thanks for helping this novice out.

cj.....bowling green, ky

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom