Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974, CJ5, 304 V8
Renegade Yellow
T-15 Transmission
Dana 20 T. Case
Dana 30 Front Axle
Dana 44 Rear Axle
Hi Guys, this is my first post on this forum, hopefully someone can help me with my problem,
I just installed all new drums, shoes and hardware on all four wheels, when the wheels are off the ground I can spin the drums and wheels freely with no issues at all, when I was done and put the Jeep back on the ground she is totally frozen, I cannot budge her in neutral, 1st gear or reverse.
I removed all four new drums and reinstalled the old ones, thinking that the new drums were binding and locking the wheels, I am still having the same issue.
When I did the job, I lifted each wheel individually, what is my issue? any ideas.
I had no issues before I did the brakes.:(

T-case? Clutch linkage?

Did you do anything else, since it drove last, seemingly unrelated, like a body lift? Brake lines, ETC?

So I think a little more research is needed. Determine if the brakes are locking up or do you have a driveline jammed. If you think that the brakes are locking up and there is no pressure going to them, I would think you could adjust them to rotate freely with just a little drag.

when both rear wheels are off the ground can you turn the drive shaft?

both front wheels?:cool:

I think you need to jack up one at a time and see if the wheel will spin. Just make sure you are in neutral and the parking brake is off.

I'd jack up the rear, and spin the driveshaft...
Actually it would be easier to have a friend spin one wheel forward while you spin the opposite wheel forward. Jacking up and spinning one at a time doesnt diagnose much.

I agree with what bondo said, did you do ANYTHING else to it since you drove it last???

all 4 wheels are locked???? or just 2??? this seems bizarre.

I'd jack up the rear, and spin the driveshaft...
Actually it would be easier to have a friend spin one wheel forward while you spin the opposite wheel forward. Jacking up and spinning one at a time doesnt diagnose much.
It will tell you if you have one or more wheels locked up. If you can't get both rears to spin then it could be something other then the breaks.

Thanks for the responses, I did jack up each wheel individually and each wheel spins as it should, I also jacked up the rear and the wheels turn in opposite directions to each other, the drive shaft also turns freely.
I have done nothing else to the jeep except new brakes, she was driving fine with no issues before hand

I also had the front off the ground and those wheels move freely, I don't get why she is completely frozen

so does the motor die when you let out the clutch or does it act like it's in netural and not go anywhere,

Engine does not die, I can put it into 1st or reverse and she is just stuck to the ground, won't budge, brakes or not locked up and parking brake is not engaged.

If the engine does not die it is not frozen but not in gear. If the driveline was frozen the engine would die.

Shift the Transfer Case into every gear and also the Transmission . Try every combination. The Jeep sounds like it is not in gear.

Dana 20 Transfer Case problem?

I did my brakes last weekend and when I was done and the jeep was on the ground she would not budge in neutral, or in gear, seems like the wheels are locked, it is not the brakes I have triple checked the installation and their is no binding.
Someone suggested my T case is stuck in neutral, even though I keep it in 2H and did not touch it before the brake job.
I removed the boot and pan from the t case to see if I can shift into all four positions, I can.
I then jacked the rear of the jeep, disconnected the rear driveshaft from the t case and the rear wheels and driveshaft turn by hand, reconnected the driveshaft and it only turns in neutral, if I put it in any gear it won't turn, the gears seem locked in the t case.
My question is, if I shift the T case should the shift rods move the gears into position, the gears do not move at all when I shift. It seems like the T case is stuck in neutral, even though the shift rods move through the gears. I keep it in 2H.
This was working fine with no issues before I did the brakes.
Totally stumped:confused:

Re: Dana 20 Transfer Case problem?

I'm scratching my head, if the T case is stuck in neutral and the wheels won't turn? does the front drive shaft turn by hand(with hubs free)?
Everything was fine prior to brake work? now problem exists? On jacks do the wheels turn free?

OK so the engine runs and acts like in neutral, yes.
All wheels roll by hand, I read yes.
With the engine running shift into low gear and let out the clutch,nothing?
Then try ALL Transfer Case gear choices, nothing?
Then try turning front hubs to lock and try putting T case in 4L or 4H, nothing?
Waiting on report.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom