Jeep is frozen, Help!!

Jeep is frozen, Help!!
I can turn the front drive shaft by hand, all wheels turn by hand when jacked, rear driveshaft only turns in neutral. when I shift my Transfer Case it seems to be binding and not really moving smoothly through the gears.
Everything was working fine last weekend, did not touch the T case shifter, jacked the vehicle and did all four drum brakes, finished the job, got in the jeep to test the brakes and it would not budge in neutral or in gear, I tried letting out the clutch and giving it some gas and the engine stalled. everything on the Jeep is pretty much stock, I have not done any mods to it.
I want to try jacking the rear and putting it into first gear, but my battery died, so I will have to try tomorrow

Jeep does bog down when I try to move it.

Bog down (the rpms slow) or die (the engine stalls) when you release the clutch fully?

Your answers are conflicting. Please supply complete details so we can figure this out. The more / completely detailed your description of the problem the better... :)

Sure hope we get this nailed soon! :chug:

Did you accidentally put the trailing brake shoes on the leading side and the leading shoes on the trailing side? It may cause a bund when both wheels in the axle try to turn in the same section. I have no experience with this but I thought another idea couldn't hurt.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This is what I did today, I found a video on the correct gear positions for the Transfer Case , and my t case shifts into the correct gears, I have verified that it is not stuck in neutral.
I jacked the rear, started the jeep, put it into 1st gear and slowly let out the clutch, the wheels turn on their own when I do this.
I have verified that all the brake shoes are on correctly, small shoe on front, large shoe on back side.
Jeep is still locked when I put it on the ground.

I can let out the clutch and it does not stall, but it does bog down when I give it to much gas, like it is stuck in the mud or a hole

Does each wheel spin FREELY by hand when jacked off ground?

have you done the same with the front?

are the hubs locked??

when you did the front brakes how did you compress the cylinders?

I can spin each wheel by hand, when I installed the brake shoes I compressed the cylinders with the brake shoes on either side, did not have to compress much.
Hubs are not locked.

Just checked the e brake again and I can pull on the cables with no effort, never did work well

If you lock the hubs can you still turn the wheels??

Yes both wheels turn as well as the driveshaft

:bang: No kidding, I am totally stumped, I had no issues before the brake job.

Maybe this has already been covered, but the thread is becoming painful to follow....:
Starting from square #1.....

I know you can jack it up, and spin independent wheels, as well as drive shaft.... Dont start the Jeep....

Can you push the Jeep ---ENGINE OFF, EVERYTHING IN NEUTRAL, FOOT PUSHING IN CLUTCH, HUBS UNLOCKED, FOOT OFF BRAKE???

It will tell you if you have one or more wheels locked up. If you can't get both rears to spin then it could be something other then the breaks.

You're absolutely right. I was just headed in a specific direction, looking at issues in the chunk. That was why I wanted him to spin both wheels at the same time in the SAME direction, to simulate driving, not just letting one wheel turn back as the other turns forward.

(are you as confused as I am?)

I can let out the clutch and it does not stall, but it does bog down when I give it to much gas, like it is stuck in the mud or a hole
If you let out the clutch and it bogs down but does not stall than the clutch or something has to be slipping.

It does this (bogs down but doesn't die) in 4wd with the front hubs locked also right.? Asking this just to be sure I'm understanding.

I cannot push the jeep in neutral, hubs are unlocked, no brakes, clutch depressed.
Rear wheels spin in same direction.
Sorry if this is painful, but I am lost on this one

Jeep bogs down in 4wd, locked hubs, but does not die

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom