Jeep is frozen, Help!!

Jeep is frozen, Help!!
.thk-1.png.

I cannot push the jeep in neutral, hubs are unlocked, no brakes, clutch depressed.
Rear wheels spin in same direction.
Sorry if this is painful, but I am lost on this one
:confused: all the wheels will spin but you can't push it in neutral? Are you trying to push it up hill? Make sure the parking brake is off and it is in neutral and hook up a tow strap to it and try pulling it and see if it will roll or drag the wheels. Make sure the hubs are unloocked.

Last edited:
I cannot push the jeep in neutral, hubs are unlocked, no brakes, clutch depressed.
Rear wheels spin in same direction.
Sorry if this is painful, but I am lost on this one

I'm sure you are. I'd be beating my head against the wall too. Didnt mean my response to sound like this was too much trouble to help with..

Its frustrating not being able to help, but not as much as it is on your end, I'm sure..

You'll figure it out. Hopefully before you pull all your hair out.!!

Still stuck,

I disengaged front and rear driveshafts from the t case, still locked even in neutral, ( eliminating the t case and Transmission as the problem ) so I am leaning towards the axles, but what would make one of them lock up when the jeep is on the ground? they move freely when the jeep is jacked.

Still stuck,

I disengaged front and rear driveshafts from the t case, still locked even in neutral, ( eliminating the t case and Transmission as the problem ) so I am leaning towards the axles, but what would make one of them lock up when the jeep is on the ground? they move freely when the jeep is jacked.

If this followed a brake job are you 100% sure you did everything correctly? have you done brake work before?

I have done brakes before, I have triple checked the installation, at this point I even have the adjusters all the way in, wheels spin free in the air.

OK so let's see if I understand this...driveshafts disconnected from T case and Jeep won't roll on ground? but wheels turn free when raised?

:confused: all the wheels will spin but you can't push it in neutral? Are you trying to push it up hill? Make sure the parking brake is off and it is in neutral and hook up a tow strap to it and try pulling it and see if it will roll or drag the wheels. Make sure the hubs are unloocked.
Actually my driveway is not quite level so my jeep usually will roll on its own if I don't put it in gear

I'm going to ask again, and please forgive me for being redundant...

Have you jacked up the ENTIRE rear OR the ENTIRE front end, and spun BOTH wheels in the same direction at the same time?

I know you mentioned the wheels spin freely, I'm just trying to rule out problems in the center chunk....

At least you are narrowing it down a bit... you'll get it

brian

I have jacked up the front and the rear, the rear, both wheels will turn in the same direction, I had the jeep running put into 1st gear let out the clutch and the wheels turn on their own

OK so let's see if I understand this...driveshafts disconnected from T case and Jeep won't roll on ground? but wheels turn free when raised?
Correct, wheels spin nice and easy.

I have had this jeep jacked and wheels on and off so many times this week the neighbors think I have gone off the deep end!:eek:

Chock the wheels. Disconnect your driveshafts. Make sure if your CJ starts rolling,it can't go very far. Park another vehicle snug against the bumper, for safety. Use the parking brake on the other vehicle. Chock those wheels, too.
Getting run over by your own Jeep would be embarrassing to say the least.

Once the D-shafts are disconnected/removed, make sure they won't get damaged if dragged. Put duct tape around the bearing caps. maybe cut a 2 liter pop bottle to act as a guard as well.

Remove the wheel chocks, and slowly back up the other vehicle. Or gently push it forward, as long as something will keep it from rolling into danger. A few cinder blocks a foot in front of the front wheels may suffice.

If the CJ starts rolling like you say it normally would, you can eliminate the brakes and differentials.

This leaves the tranny, clutch, and Transfer Case . If your Transfer Case is chain drive, I'd inspect that first.

Chock the wheels. Disconnect your driveshafts. Make sure if your CJ starts rolling,it can't go very far. Park another vehicle snug against the bumper, for safety. Use the parking brake on the other vehicle. Chock those wheels, too.
Getting run over by your own Jeep would be embarrassing to say the least.

Once the D-shafts are disconnected/removed, make sure they won't get damaged if dragged. Put duct tape around the bearing caps. maybe cut a 2 liter pop bottle to act as a guard as well.

Remove the wheel chocks, and slowly back up the other vehicle. Or gently push it forward, as long as something will keep it from rolling into danger. A few cinder blocks a foot in front of the front wheels may suffice.

If the CJ starts rolling like you say it normally would, you can eliminate the brakes and differentials.

This leaves the tranny, clutch, and Transfer Case . If your Transfer Case is chain drive, I'd inspect that first.

Did this today, still locked, so not tranny or t case

So you have eliminated the Transmission
You have eliminated the Transfer Case
You have eliminated the brakes
Driveshafts out and front hubs in free you eliminated the front axle/diff
Engine operates fine with no drive shafts in place, able to release the clutch and shift gears with engine running?

Also describe "locked". You have used words like "locked" or "frozen" yet you say you can drive but bogs down elsewhere in thread.
Exactly what is it doing or not doing?

You wrote "disengaged" Sarfu. Is this removal or disconnection of the driveshafts?

Disengaged sounds like "not activating" or "shifting into a neutral position".

If the shafts were disconnected, and it still wouldn't budge, it's certainly is a diff.

Remove a cover, my guess is the locked one is the culprit.

Also describe "locked". You have used words like "locked" or "frozen" yet you say you can drive but bogs down elsewhere in thread.
Exactly what is it doing or not doing?
I can run the engine, and shift the gears with no issue,( I had no issues with clutch or tranny, shifts smooth, no grinding, no unusual noises ) had the rear jacked and engine running, shifted into 1st, released clutch, wheels turn.

When I say locked, I mean I can rock the jeep, and the wheels will give an inch back and forward but that is it, have not been able to drive it at all since the brake job, I have tried to get it to move in 1st gear and reverse, and the jeep wants to move but wont, like someone chained it to a tree and it bogs down. I don't know how else to describe it

You wrote "disengaged" Sarfu. Is this removal or disconnection of the driveshafts?

Disengaged sounds like "not activating" or "shifting into a neutral position".

If the shafts were disconnected, and it still wouldn't budge, it's certainly is a diff.

Remove a cover, my guess is the locked one is the culprit.

I completely disconnected the front and rear from the t case.
that is my next step

I really do appreciate all of the input, I am eliminating allot from the suggestions from you guys, and learning more about my jeep everyday, can't wait to solve this one.
And to think I have the nerve to install an HEI distributor and fuel injection for my next projects, might just end up:biggun:the stubborn old bird

To test the Diffs, both wheels up per axle. Turn disconnected drive-shaft by hand. may need to start motion with a pair of channel locks lightly on smaller tube. clockwise as seen from front of vehicle is forward.

The gearing will make this difficult to start going. Lock front hubs for front axle testing.

If it doesn't want to rotate at all, pull the cover off, it could be a big deal or not, as what you find.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom