Jeep T18 rebuild questions

Jeep T18 rebuild questions
Thanks
It seems that my bent shift fork is not the case at all. It still pops out of 4th gear in high range. My old shifter cover did have signs of a bent 4th gear shift fork and the pads had metallic shavings the same color of the fork embedded into the plastic. Could I be missing something. It shifts fine into every gear including 4th and will even stay in 4th if I'm in Low range. Is it time for a rebuild? How much do bench top rebuilds cost?

Thanks,

Nick

I used the Novak kit when I rebuilt my T-18 it was all inclusive and a really nice kit. If the shift pads have been worn out and this has been happening for a long time you have uneven wear on the gear teeth and may aslo need a new gear. The rebuild is an easy weekend job unless you find you do need the gear. Then it's only down for a few days more.

I'm pretty sure Cweed is talking about #31 in the exploded view of the T-18 in this post. -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/transmission-transfer-case-variants-types-cjs-53-86-a-134/

CJ, Just followed the link. The image under the "T-18 Exploded View
" label is actually an exploded view of a T-5 . The T-98 (simular to a T-18 ) looks like a picture of a T-14 /T-15 .

The older T-18 's had the shift pads bonded to the shift fork. Not sure about the newer versions.

Most every time I have run into 4th gear popping out has been either to much end play on the main (output) shaft, or a worn input shaft bearing. As 4th gear is actually just linking the input to the output via sincro/slider. Sometimes baddly worn engagement teeth on the input shaft can also cause popping out of gear. But this is usually only after a lot of grinding the 4 gear shift.

Rosco

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom