Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
re: Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

So this is what it looked like the night I brought it home... I knew there were plenty of problems, and I'd have to learn quick if i wanted to go wheeling this year.

The brakes pulled hard to the left :eek:
The Body mounts were broken or loose (just about all of them)
The transmission made horrible sounds through 1st and 2nd gear...
The hood and fender were primed white / greyish
The rear of the jeep had a bent and torn up Bumper, and was not set up for towing...

and more...

So one of the things I started with was a bumper for the rear that I could tow with. Most of the build of this bumper is documented here: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/rear-towing-bumper-info-9082/

The finished product:
fb10.jpg
5886d1309531097-rear-towing-bumper-info-done3.jpg

Now the transmission was definitely on top of the list of to do...

I had it rebuilt, or so i thought, but actually they replaced it...

The Pilot bushing had been toasted, so the input shaft had been rattling / moving too much... This tore up the input shaft bearing actually breaking and loosing a ball or two...

So replaced all that, clutch, and resurfaced fly wheel. Also fixed my T-Case linkage and hiem jointed the clutch linkage. (Thanks to CJ for T Case linkage link) http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/dana-20-tc-lot-slop-9403/

More to come... Better get to work for now. :chug::cool:

Nice lookin cj. This may be a total newb question but where do you get those tail lights? They look so much better than the stockers

Nice lookin cj. This may be a total newb question but where do you get those tail lights? They look so much better than the stockers

Thanks!

They were on it when I got the jeep. 6" round sealed units. Good for under water excursions :cool:

Google search: 6" round sealed tail lights

Or go down to a trailer supply place and look over their lights. Same basic thing. They are used a lot on trailers so they can go underwater without shorting out.

Then just cut them in the body.

~ JR

Now this is a little out of order, but this last weekend I just got my Warn M8000 winch, wireless remote, and cover in and all together... So it was time to fab up the front for a winch. :cool:

In the box... :drool:
inthebox.jpg

Main Mount Fab:

mountingbracket.jpg

Test fitting:

Drytestfit.jpg

Drytestfit2.jpg

Drytestfit3.jpg

Now for the fairhead mounting:

fairheadmount.jpg

layingoutfairheadmount3.jpg

layingoutfairheadmount4.jpg

cleaninguptheweld.jpg

Dont worry... It comes out pretty :cool:

After cleaning up the welds:

inprogress.jpg

flapwheelingdown.jpg

blendingmetals.jpg

Next I cut off the ends of the bumper for better tire to rock approaches and because i think it will look better. Here's the primed finished pics:

lookslikeallonepiece.jpg

Told you the welds would be pretty :D

Looks like 1 piece of metal :rolleyes:

metalblendedclose-up.jpg

newcustombumper.jpg

Fairhead on, and all bolted up, about to tighten it all and wire it in...

boltedup.jpg

Hook on, Cover on, all wired up... Works great!

finished.jpg

Few more fab pics on photo bucket: Pictures by JR74CJ5 - Photobucket

So what do you all think? :eek:

Now one question. I want to put a cut off switch in the cab, but I'm thinking the best way would be the Boat / RV style round switch and hook mater power wire to it, and it to battery. Is there a better way? How can I put the switch in the cab?

:chug:

~ JR

Now one question. I want to put a cut off switch in the cab, but I'm thinking the best way would be the Boat / RV style round switch and hook mater power wire to it, and it to battery. Is there a better way? How can I put the switch in the cab?

~ JR

I think you probably just stated the best idea for the cutoff switch...or just use a "heavy duty" toggle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well I got my Ring and pinion kit from Dana in yesterday... :drool: Now i can get 4 wheel drive again! :cool:

Local shop (Jaws Gear) says $200.00 bucks labor only to set em up for me... :rolleyes: or I spend more than that plus countless hours on tools etc and set em up myself... hmmm... :cool:

So I think I'll save a little $$ up and let them do their thing...

This will be the next project. And at the same time i have to re-pack my front spring packs : http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/spring-pack-shifted-forward-11168/

Would like to do the tie rod flip at the same time http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/tie-rod-flip-10552/ ... we'll see how funds go...

:chug: All,

~ JR

In all reallity $200 isnt that bad. Ive heard of shops around here charging almost double that labor wise.

Ive been looking at this thread as well. :cool:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/tie-rod-flip-10552/

Yeah 200 is a deal. Pretty sure ill go that route. And the tie rod flip would work perfect for me i think, though im not ( to my best attempt to measure using busadaves theory) lifted at all spring wise, just shackle and 33s so when i have my springs arched 2" and get better shackles itll work out good!

Well had a few questions about some tests ive been wanting to run: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/confirmation-two-basic-tests-11258/#post90779

So those, rebuilding carb, and trying to track down the source of this :censored: vibration /rattle thats bugging the :censored: out of me, paying the shop for the front r&p install & i should be set for individual minor upgrades as i go... Right this second i almost feel like my jeep will fall apart on a long drive to (soon to be ) snow runs or pismo beach :(

~Jr

Brought my Dana 30 down to Jaws Gear this morning. Getting it rebuilt. :drool:

Spent last night removing it, and re-aligning the spring packs, since both centering bolts had broken off.

Also found that my inner driver side fender has separated itself from the outer portion, so while easy, I think I'll be welding it back together. :cool:

Man... I may as well have done a frame off re-build from the start! Every time I turn around there's something new to fix, which I fully expected, just wish it would hold together until i get all the current stuff fixed, then I can deal with the occasional need to fix new stuff! lol

Well, hopefully I'll be out at the OHV park this weekend breaking in that front Dana 30 :rolleyes:

~ JR

Every time I turn around there's something new to fix, which I fully expected, just wish it would hold together until i get all the current stuff fixed, then I can deal with the occasional need to fix new stuff! lol

~ JR

I built (rebuilt) mine 7 hard years ago, and it's starting to show with things getting wore out again. The fun of owning a cj never ends.:D

Yeah I love this Jeep, just irritates me at times... :D

Thanks for the pep talk :chug:

Going to get the Dana 30 back today with any luck, all together again tonight. :rolleyes:

Wondering if it is rebelling because i haven't named it yet... Not sure whether to name it a Girl or Guys name. I do have a large red pair of Nutz hanging from the back, but normally name vehicles after women... don't want to confuse it gender wise, so thinking i need a mutually unisex name for it...

:rolleyes:

Well i think i have all the parts lined up...

Going to go with a new radiator, clutch fan assembly, with fan blade(s) and a new steering box after finding a huge puddle (like all the fluid) on the ground under it.

Hopefully up and running by Thursday again!

Good news is, the 4x4 (front Dana 30 rebuild) seems to be working awesome, and no hiccups to report! Glad I had the pros get her done for me...

~ JR

JR -

Really like the way your 74 is coming along, although, I really think you should have named your thread "Jr's 74 CJ5 Fix as I go...":laugh:

Really though, it's looking good. Wish I would have had the option with my 75 of running it while I was working on it, but there were just too many things that needed fixed to make it road worthy.

Good Luck in the snow this weekend - Bill:chug:

I really think you should have named your thread "Jr's 74 CJ5 Fix as I go...":laugh:

:laugh: Wonder if a Mod can help me re-name it! lol Would have fit! :cool:

I'm hoping soon, i'll be to the point that the new stuff will out number the old stuff, and should be able to get through a few trips with no issues :rolleyes:

By the way, I would have loved to be able to do what you're doing, and strip it down bare and go through it fine tooth comb. It would be nice to know everything is done right and be able to set it up exactly to your personal specs...

I understand the wanting to drive it, though, and all I can say is you'll be set up sweet when you can :cool:

Thanks for the koodo's man :chug:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks