Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
re: Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

JR,

Go to OMIX-ADA FALL BONUS BUCKS REBATE I guess they own Alloy among others. Should not matter where they came from.
I got my axles through Base 4x4 outfitters, but were shipped free from Omix-Ada ,
cheapest I could find.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Cheers man! Thanks!

$20.00 coming my way! ;)

:chug:

~ JR

Hey! Good for a drink or two, glad I could help!

Oh yeah, at rite aid that will almost buy me a 30pk of bud light :D :beer:

was about to go with where you did because summit lagging on the ship date, but i called them and even though they say they are in stock online, she said they are backordered unitl she don't know when...

grrr... :madjeep:

It's been a while...

I have done a lot of re-doing things since last entry. Have replaced the alternator a couple times do to deep water crossing. Have re-wired the DUI distributor since the Streetfire ignition box was also killed during a deep water / mud crossing... Have installed my Locking hub bolts, etc...

This last weekend, I customized my Dana 20 twin stick kit I got from a buddy for cheap, and get it all working.

The kit was one for a Dana 20 with T-18 Transmission, and I have the T-15. So Customization was necessary.

End result, I have a twin stick :cool:

Fitting it together

attachment.php

The linkage for the t-18 is further away from the Transfer case, so the kit came with heim joints (which I could not use) so my brother and I looked it over and he thought out a good linkage option.

attachment.php

It Shifts fine now, and looking forward to testing it out next weekend up at the Rubicon. :D

I left the interlock pins in for now.

~ JR

Looks good JR

Nice, the PO when they did mine didn't use the existing hole and extend the sticks to it, the cut a new gaping ugly one in the floor pan!

Been a While again. Got a bunch of parts and mods coming up and in.

This 4th of July weekend, I'm heading to the Rubicon trail. The mads / parts I'm installing before hand are:

3- Tie Rod / drag link flips from Goferit.com
New (working) speedometer
1-1/4" Spidertrax Wheel spacers on the front wheels
Heavy duty steering brace arm from Extreme Custom Fab

That and some minor checking up on everything else, packing bearings etc.

Then after the trip, I'll be installing:

My new CJ to YJ Old Man Emu 3 - 3-1/2" Lift suspension kit from Rockyroad outfitters (new suspension from front frame to rear frame)
My new SM420 transmission and adapters
New Hydraulic clutch conversion
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and through out bearing kit
Rebuild kit for the Dana 20
Modified rive-lines re-install after tranny swap / lift.

After all this I'll see how everything is working together. I'm going to try to avoid drop pitman arm and transfer case drops.

Pictures and posts to come.

~ Jr

I'll be following this build up for sure. We're going to be using some similar mods. I think you can probably get away without the drop pitman arm. The t-case drop is going to be the tough one. Can you clock the Dana 20 the way alot of guys do with the Dana 300? :confused:

not really that i've seen anyways... but I have the double cardian joint (like tom woods) rear shaft, and the ability to cut and re-weld the spring perches again if need be to point it up right. The TC output should be facing directly straight back for that style (as far as I know) and the Pinon shaft at it (off a few degrees) So far from eyeballing it last time ;), I have no noise or problems with it.

~ Jr

Jr. on my 83 with a 4" lift, when I did the rod end flip, I was able to use my stock arm.

Well the trip to the Rubicon was eventful to say the least... I bent my tie rod (even with the flip) almost up into the fan. Had to remove it, bend it straight (ish) and support it against additional bends for the way out.

IMG_0046_zps276d2a72.jpg

IMG_0047_zps2eb79ee2.jpg

IMG_0048_zps0038ab1a.jpg

I also broke a shock mount on the drivers front,

IMG_0042_zps358d5f01.jpg

IMG_0043_zps36a4ecfb.jpg

cracked a body mount of drivers front, and smoked the clutch up enough to glaze it over, barely got off the trail with it.

Luckily though, with exception of the tie rod, I had everything new already that (so far) I have broken or damaged. The body mount needed to be replaced anyways, like i've done to the passenger side.

So I'm waiting now for my new rocky ridge tie rod / drag link kit, Rugged Ridge 18050.80 Complete Heavy-Duty Tie Rod and Drag Link Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive and the Novak order of everything else to begin tear down annd replacement of suspension and transmission etc.

should have some updates coming soon!

~ Jr

Well the trip to the Rubicon was eventful to say the least... I bent my tie rod (even with the flip) almost up into the fan. Had to remove it, bend it straight (ish) and support it against additional bends for the way out.

IMG_0046_zps276d2a72.jpg

IMG_0047_zps2eb79ee2.jpg

IMG_0048_zps0038ab1a.jpg

I also broke a shock mount on the drivers front,

IMG_0042_zps358d5f01.jpg

IMG_0043_zps36a4ecfb.jpg

cracked a body mount of drivers front, and smoked the clutch up enough to glaze it over, barely got off the trail with it.

Luckily though, with exception of the tie rod, I had everything new already that (so far) I have broken or damaged. The body mount needed to be replaced anyways, like i've done to the passenger side.

So I'm waiting now for my new rocky ridge tie rod / drag link kit, Rugged Ridge 18050.80 Complete Heavy-Duty Tie Rod and Drag Link Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive and the Novak order of everything else to begin tear down annd replacement of suspension and transmission etc.

should have some updates coming soon!

~ Jr

:)Hey JR .............I heard there was some guys plugging up the trail this weekend now I know who it was! (LOL)
Looks like you got caught up in the sluice box.............anyway you know Parts Mike is right up the road in Newcastle and has all that stuff in stock...........also you should look at getting that tie rod higher than it is now cause even with the 1-1/4" OD tubing if its low enough it will still bend...........
On the clutch sounds like you need those low gears..........Hey looks like you had fun...............

:D:D:D:D

:laugh:

Yeah i was plugging it a little on the 4th.

But for the most part, no one was kept held up.

I had already done the tie rod flip before this... I'm thinking the lift kit may help some, as will the lower gears so i'm not "bouncing" over everything :cool:

~ Jr

The gears and the O.M.E. lift are going to make your day trust me. Glad to see you and the rest of the "Red Muscle Shirt Riders" had fun. :D

Glad to see you and the rest of the "Red Muscle Shirt Riders" had fun. :D

Yeah us clampers like our Red... Everyone else just seemed to fit in with us...

:D:D

~ Jr

Jr. looks like it's time for the ford shock tower up-grade.

I have new shock mounts that came with the OME lift kit / YJ conversion kit.

:cool:

Kinda reminds me of the ford shock tower when looking at them before...

I'll have to check both out.

I have new shock mounts that came with the OME lift kit / YJ conversion kit.

Kinda reminds me of the ford shock tower when looking at them before...

I'll have to check both out.

Thats what I thought to when I was looking over the kit. You may have to get us measurements. ;) So your done wheeling for a bit huh? :(

Thats what I thought to when I was looking over the kit. You may have to get us measurements. ;)

I plan to do a pretty detailed install / review thread as I haven't seen any on this product yet. Or install posts (i've been searching to try to be ready for "everything...") :cool:

I know they are definitley taller. By around 5" to 8" or so. They remind me of the ford towers.

I can tell you so far from looking at that kit, everything looks really beefy and awesomely made! It appears to be a very nice quality kit. The brake extensions and shocks don't appear to be "top" quality, but they do seem like they'll work.

So your done wheeling for a bit huh? :(

A little bit... :cool:

I'm hoping to get the SM420 and all the other goodies in soon, then I'll be putting her under the knife.

Hopefully when done, she'll be all ready to go for another trip. going to do a few test trips to the local OHV park to test some stuff out first and get used to it (new tranny / gearing and lift tilt points)

Should be great! :cool:

~ Jr

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks