Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
re: Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

I might have to steal the "fix as I go", I like that.
Good to hear you got it going and it only cost you 1 finger. :D
I never named my cj either, but I know it's a he. It's just not into the girly things.:laugh:

Well keeping true with the new title: "fix as i go" i went back out to prairie city, and the battery and alternator went completly dead... So switched batt with uncle and jammed home backroads.

Ordered a altenator, $50.00+ and bought a red top ultima batt... ( man those things are expensive!) for 199. +tax was 245.00... :eek: But figured id just get one. 800 cca and 1000 ca :cool:

Picking up new alt today, then will install in. Still havent figured out what was draining my bat. Think i may have needed to get a larger alt.
:chug:

~Jr

Installed the new 55 Amp Alt and Red Top Battery. Thing fires up and runs a lot better now... Wondering how long I was running on low battery and if the small amp output alt was affecting the new ignition upgrade the whole time. Seems to have woken it up a little now :cool:

Went ahead and re-hooked up the winch, although I am still unsure if it was causing my battery problems before or the low output Alt wasn't keeping up with the amp drainage... :rolleyes:

Next on the list is fixing rear Dana 44 leak, and at the same time installing new wheel stud lug bolt (one broke on me while trying to remove lug nut to rotate tires...) and re-pack / clean up rear springs with new bushings etc.

Hoping that will fix my jumping side to side while accelerating / letting off gas pedal on freeway. :eek:

:chug: All,
~ JR

Well for the new year, back on the Jeep project... It had me :bang: for a while trying to fix up my exhaust leak on my cheapo summit headers...

So, I decided it was the old get what you pay for quality of the headers that was my problem... so...:D

I bought these Hooker Super Competition headers:

hok-9820hkr_w_m.jpg
Hooker Headers 9820HKR - Hooker Super Competition Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And some new mufflers so I can at least hear myself think as those cherry bombs were crazy loud (loved them, but not for long trips...):cool:
So... threw a couple of these on there too:
wlk-17659_w_m.jpg
Thrush 17635 - Thrush Hush Super Turbo Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Now just waiting for shipments to arrive... :drool:

Also got a gift card for Christmas 75.00 for 4wheelparts.com so went ahead and got me a tree saver... Nice Amsteel Blue one:
images.ashx

Amsteel Blue Winch Lines Part 100446 - Winch Line Tree Saver by Viking Offroad

So, hopefully can get her back running without a exhaust leak and can start getting down to the next things on the list to fix.

~ JR

Wow santa brought you hookers for christmas, you must have been a good boy.:D
Let me know how you like the thrush, I need some quieter mufflers too.

Wow santa brought you hookers for christmas, you must have been a good boy.:D
:D

Let me know how you like the thrush, I need some quieter mufflers too.

I can tell you my uncle just bought this exact combo of headers and mufflers... Ive heard it and really like it... It sounds (if i can correctly explain a sound) nice low deep rumble, during acelleration slowly, nice and quiet, get in it and its loud enough to get some attention drawn, but nothing like 3"x30" cherry bombs :cool:, at freeway cruising nice and quiet, and heavy decelleration / downshifting at high rpms they brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm. No popping!

They sound good to me so far, though as my uncle told me, they are a tad (very tad) quieter than expected /wanted and the only other thing he didnt like about the whole set up is now he can hear all the other little things he needs to adress :laugh:

Anyhow, one i get her put back together i'll try to post a sound file, if you're interested or at least send it to you.

He did mention too that the new hooker headers deffinatley made a difference themselves in sound. He loves them uncapped too :laugh:

Jr

Well foooooie!

Apparently Hooker has to build my headers, they're not on the shelf. So looking like end of January according to Summit.

I guess on the bright side, they'll be bran-spanking-NEW :cool:

~ JR

Worked on getting a few things done on her while im waiting for my Hooker Headers to come in...

Got the skidplate customized and repaired to re use with my rear bumper i built. Had to reweld a section that had broken off and then cut the rear side to about 4" off deck. Then proceded to bend the rear side into a 90 degree 1-1/4" lip. I drilled and tapped the rear bumper and made a new bracket for one front connection to match the other sides.

Got her all painted up and she looks pretty new :cool:

Also tracked down my wiring / charging problem, fixed my loose seat bracket for passanger side, welded the nut for the seat bracket drivers side to the body lip so i dont have to hold the nut on and can tighten it better (my second gas tank gets in the way). Got some new fasteners to hold the 2nd gas tank in... Been busy. Pics to follow later!

Still need to pull the Dana 44 in the rear and see why im leaking around the spring plate, mess with my e-brake, and try to get my roll bar a little more stable... Also rebuild my carb (mc2100)

So i still got a ways to go before back on the trails... :drool:

Jr

JR - Glad to see you're back working on it again!

Can't wait to find out how the headers and mufflers work out for you.:popcorn:

I hope to be ready for headers and mufflers on mine soon and was thinking about nearly the same set up, so can't wait to see the pics.

Bill :chug:

Thanks Bill! :D

Well Summit is still telling me "end of January" ... Apparently that's what Hooker keeps telling them that... it is not 19th of Jan. So I guess this is Mid-End of Jan. :cool:

Anyhow, since I'm waiting anyways, and I apparently can not do anything about it, I'm continuing to get some things off the list...

Going to purchase a MC2100 re-build kit and re-build my carburetor, and remove my Dana 44 to repair the leak near the spring plate. Assume there is a crack there somewhere.

Re-align the springs and address the u-bolts / Alignment bolts. etc.

Should have this thing pretty ready again, and better than before once these headers come in.

~ JR

So I look this morning, like every morning, at my summit order status. Expected to still see incomplete info... But...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: Shipped and on their way :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

They'll be here next Wed. My Hookers are on their way! (sounds dirty, told my girl same thing, and until she realized what i was saying, she had the weirdest "look of death" pointed in my direction. Kind of like, "why the h__ would you tell me this?" )

~ JR

Rebuilt my Carb last night.

Turned out to be pretty easy.

Still hoping my headers show up Wed. Been pretty rainy here lately which = snow up on the pass, which possibly means delay's for truckers. So we'll see how it goes.

~ JR

Finally Got em! :banana:
photo_1.jpg

Immediate noticed the difference in quality out of the box...

Summit Brand:

photo_4.jpg

You can see the sealing portion, and how crappy and uneven it is. It was a nightmare to try to seal, and I even tried an old trick of separating the 3 sections. These things are toast now.

Here's the new Supper comp tuned headers:

photo_3.jpg

The flanges are evenly done, and though i didn't take a picture, they are welded on the non bolt portions of the outside of the flange too. These things are nice.:cool:

Please keep in mind I have not re-tuned up everything after re-building the carb the other night, so it is still running a little rough. :cool: But for those of you wanting to hear the sound...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Uncapped, first run.

___

With new mufflers installed, still warming up...

___

And warmed up and kicked down...

Was getting late, still need to work out kinks in carb, and choke. And brace the rear of these mufflers / turnouts. I'll take some better pictures soon during the daylight hours.

~ JR

Sounds the same with and without the mufflers in the video :eek:
maybe it's just me.:confused:

Sounds the same with and without the mufflers in the video :eek:
maybe it's just me.:confused:

:D They sound deep and rumble-y at idle, but are quite a bit quieter than the uncapped headers... :cool:

I love how they sound so far, a lot quieter than the cherry bombs were on the road.

But I have a lot of tuning to do, a (i hope) vac leak to find, and choke adjusting etc.

Purchased a double cardian joint CVO driveshaft, TCase adapter for the output to it, and new u-bolts and centering pins for the springs...

This weekend, the rear end gets dismantled to:

Fix the leak
Re-pack springs
install new driveshaft.

Then got it take it back to them to re-calculate the new angles, and then re-dismantle springs to change the shims out with steel (instead of aluminum) and with correct degree.

Moving right along... Should be on the trails again by mid March (taking 7 day cruise to Cabo, Mexico. early march. :cool:

Well haven't posted anything to this in a while, been neglecting the old girl... :p

Since last post, the rear passenger axle seal was leaking and found a twisted axle at the splines in the rear 44.

Have since been waiting for all my parts and pieces to arrive. :drool:

Ordered new seals and bearings (3 sets). Got two new alloy USA axles coming too, but they are taking their sweet :censored: time.

Also bought a 1" body lift (to help with tires getting eaten up by the body), and on board air compressor. Still waiting on those items to arrive as well...

Also been working on the back seat / tool box build as well.

Planning to finally be able to spend some quality time with her tonight.

Going to try to get the new bearing and seal installed on the old still twisted axle (it will be an emergency spare when the new axles come in... and I can practice the you tube "DIY" way of getting bearings on) Hopefully all will be fine.

Cheers all :chug:

Trying to get ready for the memorial day trip up to the Rubicon. Going to stay for a week and wheel every day possible.

~ JR

JR

Alloys got a rebate going on those axles, once you get them along with the receipt go to alloys web site, you still have to mail in the original box label w/the UPC code.

Thanks bud.

I'm not seeing it anywhere on their website though... :confused: Maybe because I ordered from Summit racing. Their promo on the axles was everything you order with them ships for free, so maybe they are doing that instead?

Either way, I'm sure I am just not seeing it there, and appreciate the heads up though! :notworthy:

________

Yesterday, I got the old axle out, drilled and split the retaining ring, ground off the old bearing, and cleaned up the axle real good. When I say the splines are twisted, its ever so slightly! So since i do not yet have me new axles, I decided to go ahead and reinstall this one with the new bearing and retaining ring. What is different though, I can not get the ?"race" off the main bearing :confused: So I installed the bearing and retaining ring on the shaft. Heated bearing @ 350 degrees, checking the inside bore with micrometer until it was about 2 thousands over the od of axle shaft, slipped right on, couple taps with brass punch for good measure. The retaining ring though, I heated on 500 degrees, until the same, and while running from the oven to back porch it cooled enough to fit pretty tight. I ended up on one side while brother on the other and we got it down with two brass punches and two hammers at the same time on each side. It's not "finessed" on and everything looks great.

We test fit everything back together, and hoping the bearing will work out all right...

More to come...

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks