Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
Same deal with me, but I'm in a secure space when I'm at work, so no cell phones. The man hasn't blocked the site, so I can use it during lunch and breaks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Soon... We'll be tearing into the trans to see a gear about a noise (man about a dog? no?)

Got to get her ready for the Moab trip 2021 - I'll be there Posi!

Soon... We'll be tearing into the trans to see a gear about a noise (man about a dog? no?)

Got to get her ready for the Moab trip 2021 - I'll be there Posi!
Good, because I'm looking forward to wheeling with you and your family again in 4 months.
If your trans is beyond repair (most cases their fine with a rebuild) I have an extra T-150 to replace your T-15 if need be. Yours for the taking.

Good, because I'm looking forward to wheeling with you and your family again in 4 months.
If your trans is beyond repair (most cases their fine with a rebuild) I have an extra T-150 to replace your T-15 if need be. Yours for the taking.

Looking forward to hanging and wheeling with you guys too! We're all extended family at this point lol

I have SM420 in there. It should be fine. It's either input shaft, or hopefully just throwout bearing. The diagnosis is a little strange, but based on symptoms I'm leaning heavily to throwout bearing. While I have tranny out though I'm going to crack the top to inspect internals and make sure they're good. At the same time I'll be readjusting my angles and removing the 1" body lift I had in there since I have the 4" springs now. Rear DS angle was a bit off even with DC shaft.

Little work to accomplish, but I'll be there.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: 007
So I believe the noise was just a tired throw-out bearing. While in there (famous last words) replaced the oil seals bottom end, and rebuilt the cross member dropping trans and transfer about a inch to better line up the rear output after spring lift. Hopefully smoothed her out a bit. Lost a little of my hard earned ground clearance, but guess I'll just have to go 35's to pick it back up next set... lol

Also realized while on the Rubicon for the trip with everyone that my winch had busted a gut - the yota guys I puled out at the local OHV park with it last had wound it bad, stacked and broke one of the ears mounting the two drums together through the cross bars. Parts and time - she's all fixed up now, and new shinny steel cable.

My brother and Uncle went to the dark side with synthetic line - I'm drooling a bit, but didn't want to add more work right this sec - sure I'll get a few years out o the steel before time to make the choice again.

Ready basically for Moab - few little picky things to try to work on first...

This weekend going up for a snow run. It's deep up there right now!

Cheers

Good deal JR - so glad it wasn't something more... I making progress on mine was well, looking forward to the next run.

Did you replace the pilot bearing too?
Gary

Did you replace the pilot bearing too?
Gary
No - it's a custom adaption one on mine. No wear was seen, looked good.

It was also new when I did the 360 build recently, but broke the cardinal rule of not replacing the TO bearing at that time too, so this was my pay for it day lol. It's a long story.... But no, pilot bushing / bearing didn't need it yet.

Thanks for looking out though ;)

Cheers

So we had a good time on the snow run. My alternator and power steering belts have been irritating me lately, and something happened where my power steering V belt actually flipped sideways on me, so I'm thinking I have a bit of alignment issues / loose brackets etc.

In typical JR form, instead of the cheapest / easiest fix, I bought the bulltear serpentine belt upgrade for the AMC V8's. This will also bring my alternator up to the top are of the engine making it a bit less prone to failure from contamination from the ground (or water).

Should be shipping today and hopefully with a bit of work the engine will be doing engine things again soon.

Cheers

So, here is the system installed, few weeks now no issues.

Jeep Serp Kit 1.jpg

Jeep Serp Kit 2.jpg

So I ordered new seats and 5 point harness' finally. Corbeau suspension fixed seats and Corbeau 5 point harness' (keep in in the family I guess....)

Hopefully getting those installed this weekend with maybe a cage tie in for shoulders, and cage tie in to frame in the front through tub.

~ Cheers

Looks real nice

Thanks guys - I'll post some photos with the alt actually in place and belt on too.

And hopefully of some new seats installed! lol

Couple photos of the new seats. We adapted the old mounting provisions to get these in for MOAB. We also built a simple shoulder strap wrap bar behind them that's bolted into the roll bars. After MOAB, they'll be revised with the tub customized to set them back a bit further, little lower, and adjust the lean in them slightly less. They look worse in the photos than they are in person, and are actually really comfortable. The backs are shorter than I thought they'd be - didn't pay attention to the measurements on the site...

Anyways, they'll work for now ;)

Jeep Seats - 3-2021.jpg

Jeep Seats - 3-2021 2.jpg

Seats look real nice and comfortable. Good idea going with the padded shoulder harness I did the same with my crow set. See you and your crew in Moab!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom