Left turn throw out bearing noise

Left turn throw out bearing noise

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
Hi all,
I did my clutch over the weekend and today was my first real road test. The clutch engages and disengages just fine, pedal feels great. When I go around a turn to the left, I hear what I think is the throw out bearing spinning for a few seconds. When I straighten up, the noise goes away. Turn right, no problem.

I thought it was the clutch fork - maybe I tossed that big ball bearing, but when I wiggled the fork by hand, it was reasonably solid. Not sloppy at all.

Ever heard of that before? Maybe I have an adjustment out of whack? Maybe worn out motor mounts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Only hear it on left turns?
Sounds more like a wheel bearing than a throw-out bearing.

A directional throw out bearing would be one for the books.:D

I paid more attention this morning on the way to work. When the spinning noise is happening, pushing on the clutch does not make it stop. Bumps in the road can make it stop, but that's about it.
Maybe my clutch adjustor is too long and putting the throw out bearing too close to the pressure plate fingers - that make any sense?

I paid more attention this morning on the way to work. When the spinning noise is happening, pushing on the clutch does not make it stop. Bumps in the road can make it stop, but that's about it.
Maybe my clutch adjustor is too long and putting the throw out bearing too close to the pressure plate fingers - that make any sense?
I am not convinced the noise has anything to do with the clutch, throwout bearing or linkage.
I still think it is from the wheel bearings, especially with your most recent comments. I know it may sound like it is coming from the clutch area but that's not making much sense.

jack it up, turn the wheels to the left and spin the wheels.:cool:

Will do. My mind goes to the clutch components since thats what I had apart over the weekend.

Do you have a locker in the front? I ran into a mysterious noise as I made left turns. with the hubs locked...even in 2wd with the hubs locked, the front driveshaft will turn. It turned out to be a bad slipyoke.

Negative on the locker. IO, I lifted the front end and spun the wheels. The right front has a clicking in the hub. Left is silent. Looks like that is the next thing to overhaul.

I confirmed the clutch lever pivot ball is in place - that whole assembly looks great. I put it in 4L and drove in some circles - no noises.

May be coincidence, but here's the final result: I adjusted the clutch to have a little bit more free play in the pedal. It was catching just off the floor, now it catches about 2 inches up. My left turn noise is completely gone now. Go figure.

I know you said got rid of the noise while driving, but... :D

I lifted the front end and spun the wheels. The right front has a clicking in the hub

Based on this I would make it a priority to re-pack your wheel bearings... Inspect them good too while out to ensure you don't need to replace the clicky one.

Old CJ's (like my year, I've been told but never seen), without proper maintenance and repacking regularly can simply "loose" the wheel while driving. :eek:

Not trying to be a fear junky here, but just in case... Could be brakes too. maybe needing adjustment...

:chug:

It was more than likely space aliens slipped into your shop and worked on the front end while you were asleep. It's kind of like moving the cheese in a mouse maze to see how the mouse responds. You are the mouse.:D
For the sake of the human race do something unexpected, like continuing to look for the reason for the noise.
Put things back the way they were and see if the noise returns.:cool:

How about the body mount bushings?

Leaning too much?

How about the body mount bushings?

Leaning too much?

^^^. Very good idea! Was amazed also how much better my ride & handling was after replacement!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom