loud noise

loud noise

drmango

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960 CJ5 Jeep Willys (all stock for now), Lexus LX470, Toyota Tacoma, 1974 Porsche 911 Targa
Hi All, I have a 1960 CJ5 . All stock. I have recently heard a high pitch whirling noise from my Transmission area. It is defferent then the throwout bearing noise because I hear that too. It only happens in 3rd gear at around 30 to 40 mph. It shifts fine and is not grinding. Only thing I can compare it to is it sounds like a very high rpm noise (if it were the engine) but it is coming from tranny area. Any ideas? I heard this noise after I had a local shop drain and replace my Transmission & tcase fluid. Could it be low fluid level since I really only hear it in 3rd? They used gl5 90w.

Thanks

They put the wrong fluid in, it should be GL4

Oh, o.k. they said the gl5 was better. I will drain and replace it myself. Could this have caused damage? I drove it about 25miles.

If the noise just started after the change it's starting to. Gl5 is not compatable with the syncros.

Thanks! You may have just saved what little bit of life I still have in the tranny. would you know how many quarts for both tranny and Transfer Case ?

Thanks again!

Well, I checked my receipt from the auto shop that replaced my Transmission fluid. Although they told me they use gl5, the receipt sates gl4. If they did use GL4, what else could be causing the high pitch whining noise in 3rd gear?

Well, I checked my receipt from the auto shop that replaced my Transmission fluid. Although they told me they use gl5, the receipt sates gl4. If they did use GL4, what else could be causing the high pitch whining noise in 3rd gear?
It sounds like the shop isn't even clear about what oil they put in your tranny. I would follow Old Dog's advice and replace the oil.

If it's not the oil it could be a gear or bearing. You hear the noise in 3rd but it could still be one of the other gears. When you are in 3rd there are other gears that are free wheeling on their shaft.

o.k. thanks. I will continue with replacing oil with GL4 90w. Is there a good brand to use? I have seen a lot said about Lucas. How about an additive as well, to help prolong life?

Is there a good brand to use?
IMHO I say no, there is not one good brand. Just make sure it meets GL4 specifications and is the correct weight.
As a side note when you are getting oil for your Tranny, the last number in the weight should be the important one. In your case any of the following will work fine:
90W
75W-90
85W90
If there are 2 numbers (such as 75W90) then the first is the weight of the oil when it's cold. 75W-90 is good for colder climates. You may know this for motor oils but the issue is people don't change the tranny fluid multiple times a year to get the best oil for the season. In colder climates I would use 75W-90.
I used to drive a CJ in Minnesota with 90W oil in the tranny. When I started it in sub-zero temps and released the clutch that AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l couldn't turn the oil in the tranny even when it was in neutral! I had to give it gas until it warmed up.

Thanks for the advice. Should I consider an oil additive? if so what kind, since I have a 51 year old jeep.

I'd just go with the oil

O.k. mechanic says he used GL4. I tend to believe him as he purchased it special. Just to reiterate the issue:
I get a very loud whining noise while in third gear with light accelerating (driving 35-40). Goes away if I give it more gas or let of gas. I have read the threads that describe a "normal whine" noise but this is very loud - not normal.

I have read that it could be Transfer Case and intermediate shaft and bearing. Would that be a good first place to start? Could low oil level cause this same thing? The mechanic wants $400.00 to just tear down tranny and t/c for diagnosis.

Any advice is welcome.

Dave

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom