Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Very nice. Yer not gonna want to drive it when you get done. Ask me how I know....

Sent from the first sunny day we’ve had in like 6 years .....

Very nice. Yer not gonna want to drive it when you get done. Ask me how I know....

After I got it painted (above and below), I'm ashamed to say that I turned around when encountering "Pavement Ends" signs for a couple of months...

Sad really...

LMAO - i heat ya. First time I drove mine in the rain I had stomach cramps. It’s dirty now so I’m over it

By the way - sold my head unit, the amp is up for sale, and will be procuring the Bluetooth amp shortly. I really like that idea!!

LMAO - i heat ya. First time I drove mine in the rain I had stomach cramps. It’s dirty now so I’m over it

By the way - sold my head unit, the amp is up for sale, and will be procuring the Bluetooth amp shortly. I really like that idea!!

Oh yeah... the rain.... arghhh. I'm over it too.

Let me know if you need any info on the amp.

Okay... weird.

I'm cleaning up my rear leaf springs, being careful to remember right and left (not sure if there is a right and left).

So after wire wheeling the bottom of the left spring, it is stamped RR 3535. I'm thinking they may have been installed wrong. Got to the right rear spring and it was stamped RR 3225.

I lined them up next to each other and they are virtually identical, but not quite. Might have just been the set in the spring. Not enough to think it was a different size.

The right shackle had some wanky (I don't know what I'm doing and don't care to ask) bolts.

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Is there a right and left?

If there is a right and a left, I have never known or looked despite installing three sets at this point. My rears have the same number stamped on them and my fronts have the same stamp on each of them (front are obviously a different number than the rear).

And google doesn’t have anything under those part numbers......... I don’t have OEM springs or I’d go look.

Okay, thanks... not going to worry about it...

Too tired and Mary won't talk to me...

attachment.php

Lol you look awesome shame Mary won’t talk to you..... heck I would hand you a beer and have a great conversation

Nothing like getting your filth on!! May take two showers to fix that!

Sent just ahead of a nice bourbon barrel aged stout via Tapakeg..... I mean Tapatalk

LMAO - Now THATS dirty.....

Sent just ahead of a nice bourbon barrel aged stout via Tapakeg..... I mean Tapatalk

So I'm getting ready to install the new bushings in the leaf spring and the outside diameter of the bushing is larger than the inside diameter of the spring sleeve. It seems obvious that I've got to remove the sleeve, but looking for some confirmation.

Any recommendations on how best to extract the sleeve?

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_08.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm getting ready to install the new bushings in the leaf spring and the outside diameter of the bushing is larger than the inside diameter of the spring sleeve. It seems obvious that I've got to remove the sleeve, but looking for some confirmation.

Any recommendations on how best to extract the sleeve?

attachment.php

If that's the frame end, leave it in, prevents the bushing from being crushed when it is torqued down. The shackle end isn't torqued as much. You can remove it to install the bushings but tap it back in after you get the bushings in the springs.

Hmm... are bushings from the same manufacturing co as the springs? I see the sleeve your talking about now in the spring.

Could it be a leftover sleeve from a stock bushing setup? Or to use a stock bushing setup.

I don't see why you couldn't knock it out

Last edited:
Hmm... are bushings from the same manufacturing co as the springs? I see the sleeve your talking about now in the spring.

Could it be a leftover sleeve from a stock bushing setup? Or to use a stock bushing setup.

I don't see why you couldn't knock it out

Definitely from the stock (previous) bushing set up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks