Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Definitely from the stock (previous) bushing set up.

I believe the stock bushing had a metal outter sleeve and slipped into the sleeve in the spring. The polys just replace all of the old stuff, punch it out.

Got the sleeves out and am now ready to start putting everything back together.

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_09.jpg

Last edited:
Still trying to isolate my intermittent buzzing/vibration when downshifting.

Discovered that the transfer case vibration dampener is stripped... had to remove the skid plate and transfer case torque bracket to cut off the old dampener.... why should this project be straight forward...?

I've looked in the manual and everywhere else for the transmission mount bolt torque, but can't find it.

They are two 7/16-14 grade 5 bolts. According to the torque charts the bolt is rated for 37 ft.lbs.

Should that be okay...?

Transfer_Case_Torque_Damper_01.jpg

Last edited:
Still trying to isolate my intermittent buzzing/vibration when downshifting.

Discovered that the transfer case vibration dampener is stripped... had to remove the skid plate and transfer case torque bracket to cut off the old dampener.... why should this project be straight forward...?

I've looked in the manual and everywhere else for the transmission mount bolt torque, but can't find it.

They are two 7/16-14 grade 5 bolts. According to the torque charts the bolt is rated for 37 ft.lbs.

Should that be okay...?

attachment.php

I worry about the aluminum that you are torqueing the bolts into but I would think anywhere from 20-37 would be fine with a dab of blue locktight

I worry about the aluminum that you are torqueing the bolts into but I would think anywhere from 20-37 would be fine with a dab of blue locktight

I did 37 w/locktite this morning... thanks.

Now to figure out how that dampener fastens up. Everyone I see wobbles all over. I plan on expanding the bushings until the shoulder of the bolt enters the hole in the crossmember and bolt it tight.

Backed the torque off to 32 ft lbs on the transmission mount.

Lumpy had a great idea to use 1/2" all thread for the transfer case torque damper. I had purchased a new damper with bolt, but decided I liked Lumpy's idea after seeing the lack of adjustment.

I used a 4 1/2" long 1/2-13 tap bolt... could have gotten away with a 4" bolt.

Had to elongate the hole in the crossmember to get the bolt lined up vertical.

I was really hoping this was the cause of the intermittent buzzing while downshifting, but alas... still there.

Going to replace the speedometer cable today.

Transfer_Case_Torque_Damper_01.jpg

Transfer_Case_Torque_Damper_02.jpg

Transfer_Case_Torque_Damper_03.jpg

Transfer_Case_Torque_Damper_04.jpg

Nice pictures. Thanks

Here is a puny modification...

My license plate frame loosened and slid over toward the tailgate. The tailgate hit the frame when opened and left a nick in the paint. Can't have that happen.

I welded a washer on the frame bracket and moved it away from the tailgate an additional 1/4". I had 1/8" clearance; now there is 3/8" clearance and now it can't move.

License_Plate_Bracket_01.jpg

License_Plate_Bracket_02.jpg

License_Plate_Bracket_03.jpg

License_Plate_Bracket_04.jpg

Last edited:
Who would have thought that till It gouged the gorgeous paint. Putting that mod on my list. Great idea learned the hard way. Sorry to hear about the paint.

Such a simple solution to that problem. Way to go not over thinking it. I've got my eye on your paint job. Its the same style silver I had been considering as my original color was silver. Just wanted to freshen it up and have it look a bit more modern.

Finished the dog cushion/dog restraint for Cooper, the Bull Terrier, awhile ago. Finally getting around to updating my build thread. The set-up works great...!!! I've added some links to a full description of making the cushion and the restraint system:

Write Up On Making The Harness

Write Up On Making The Cushion

Dog_Cushion_11.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_07.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_08.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_11.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_12.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_13.jpg

CJ7_Dog_Restraint_14.jpg

He looks a lot like Willie, General Pattons dog. They have something in common. Riding in Jeeps

He looks a lot like Willie, General Pattons dog. They have something in common. Riding in Jeeps

Yeah, they do. Patton's English Bull Terrier was named William The Conquerer ("Willie"). Pappy Boyington had one too.

Yeah, they do. Patton's English Bull Terrier was named William The Conquerer ("Willie"). Pappy Boyington had one too.
I had forgotten about Boyington's dog. Very distinctive face

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks