Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Retrieved some shots from the spray booth.

Honda Carbon Bronze
Brand Code: 913624
DEM Code: YR562P-A, YR562P-G
Mixing Scheme: OMNI AU (MBC)

Three base coats/four clear coats.

Paint_Booth_02.jpg

Paint_Booth_03.jpg

Paint_Booth_04.jpg

Paint_Booth_05.jpg

Paint_Booth_06.jpg

Paint_Booth_07.jpg

Paint_Booth_08.jpg

Holy ****, that's gonna be beautiful.

Showed up for work last week at Adam's on my first day of vacation. I spent 4 days there cleaning, blasting, painting, assembling, and fetching… what a blast. This is day one.

Computer and vacuum :dung: gone. All wires removed from old looms.

Obviously the master cylinder is shot.

He cleaned and painted the motor. New rear main seal, new timing chain, new valve cover gasket, new motor mounts.

New alternator, fuel pump, and water pump.

Temporarily mounted the wheels/tires.

Installed new front shocks: KYB GR-2/ Excel-G #344087. They are supposed to be OEM ride quality from Rock Auto.

1986_CJ7_Progress_032.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_030.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_032.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_033.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_034.jpg

Edit by mdeluca:
Just getting this post in the right order.

Heater box installed. I'm going to go back in at some point and restore the heater and install the larger motor, but for now, it works and we need to move forward to get this thing done before they salt the roads.

Installed the brake and clutch pedal assembly.
1986_CJ7_Progress_035.jpg

Windshield frame installed.
1986_CJ7_Progress_034.jpg

I sandblasted, sanded, and sprayed the roll bar myself. The blaster was an interesting experience… one I never need to experience again. Here it is installed.
Tailgate and spare carrier installed. Discovered one of the lugs were about broken off. Going to have to get a bolt and Adam is going to weld it onto the carrier.
Got the new windshield in only to discover a scratch… dammit. Supplier is going to replace.
1986_CJ7_Progress_037.jpg

I couldn't see reinstalling the plastic valve cover. Researched all of the valve covers and decided on the Crown. What a difference.

Adam installed the valve cover, intake, and exhaust manifolds. They are going to sit overnight before torquing down.
New master cylinder painted and installed.
1986_CJ7_Progress_038.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_040.jpg
  • New power steering lines installed.
  • New master cylinder hooked up and bled.
  • Existing carburetor installed.

1986_CJ7_Progress_041.jpg
  • New coil.
  • New distributor.
  • New alternator.
  • New fuel pump.

1986_CJ7_Progress_039.jpg
  • Adam wiring up the dash.

1986_CJ7_Progress_042.jpg
  • Installed the dash.
  • Decided not to install the dash pad or the black cluster surround. Going for more of an old school look. Will have to get wiper motor cover.
  • New control lights.
  • Existing Speedo (I completely disassembled and cleaned it… looks like new).
  • Existing gauges (couldn't disassemble… may replace).
  • New glove box.
  • I sanded down and cleaned the steering column, Adam painted and installed it… the steering wheel cleaned up like new.
  • Picked up a "blem" Insterstate battery… couldn't find the blemish.

1986_CJ7_Progress_044.jpg
  • Cleaned up the tail lights and got them installed.
  • One lug was broken on the spare tire carrier… will weld on a new one later.

Last edited:
This would be a good time to up-grade to power brakes.
LG

Just went thru your thread again...... You've done in less than a year what I haven't been able to do in 4 years LOL. I'm just now almost ready for primer.....

Sighhhhhhh...

Still like it, or are ya tired of it yet??? LOL

Just went thru your thread again...... You've done in less than a year what I haven't been able to do in 4 years LOL. I'm just now almost ready for primer.....

Sighhhhhhh...

Still like it, or are ya tired of it yet??? LOL
Well, I'm not doing it all myself... that would have taken years as well. Nope, not tired of it yet... tired of winter and looking forward to spring, tho'...

wow what an awesome project I also love the color
Thanks...

This would be a good time to up-grade to power brakes.
LG
Front disc and rear drum... after driving it, braking seems fine. Don't think I'll be doing anything. I am glad that it has power steering.

Went through the PO's folder last night to see what I could find. It is a full inch thick and contains the original purchase receipt, original owner's manual, original 4-wheel drive pamphlet, all of the title changes, and tons of service and repair receipts. She saved every oil change receipt and anything else that was ever done. How cool is that!? One service receipt read, "Remove trash from carb."

To my great surprise and delight, I found the receipt for the transmission rebuild, new clutch, new heater core, and the Weber carb rebuild; all in 2009!!! The shop that did it is two miles from my house. I know and use the shop for my other vehicles. That is four things now OFF my list!!!

It was purchased new in Michigan (March, 1986) for $10,000 out the door. It was the hard top model with a 20 gallon plastic tank, tilt up rear seat, and that's about it. It was moved to California, then to North Carolina, then back to California, and finally back to North Carolina.

Last edited:
To my great surprise and delight, I found the receipt for the transmission rebuild, new clutch, new heater core, and the Weber carb rebuild; all in 2009!!! The shop that did it is two miles from my house. I know and use the shop for my other vehicles. That is four things now OFF my list!!!.

That's like finding free money right there!!

It was moved to California, then to North Carolina, then back to California, and finally back to North Carolina.

Amaizing how they move around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the mock up with the grille and hood laid in place.
1986_CJ7_Progress_045.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_046.jpg

Okay… enough of that and back to the engine compartment… and the dreaded exhaust… what a rusted, mangled, cobbled together piece of unmitigated :dung:. Adam looks at me and asks, "Seriously, do you want to bolt that back in there?"
1986_CJ7_Progress_047.jpg

Here's the mock up with the grille and hood laid in place.
1986_CJ7_Progress_045.jpg

1986_CJ7_Progress_046.jpg

Okay… enough of that and back to the engine compartment… and the dreaded exhaust… what a rusted, mangled, cobbled together piece of unmitigated :dung:. Adam looks at me and asks, "Seriously, do you want to bolt that back in there?"
1986_CJ7_Progress_047.jpg

Wow it's really turning out nice!

You should see my exhaust. Every time I look at it it makes me cringe and tell myself, "not even gonna touch that!". You can barely make out the nuts and bolts. It all just blends together. When it does come of, it will be cut off and in many pieces. :cool:

Shum8: It is like finding free money.

jafo: Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't distinguish a bolt either… just looked like linear rust.

I didn't get a good shot of it, but decided on a new custom exhaust.. all welded, nothing clamped. He also did a nice off-road hanging system
1986_CJ7_Progress_048.jpg

Decided not to go with the louder, performance muffler. I've had enough of that with the Road King. From what I've been able to gather, with the IL6, it wasn't going to make much of a difference anyway.

So we cranked it…. then the new starter solenoid stuck open. Had to disconnect the battery, go get another solenoid, hook it up and, after a backfire up the carburetor and installing a missing manifold plug, it turned over…

It's ALIVE…!!!

Sounds nice and even. Starts right up. Choke works.

Front disc and rear drum... after driving it, braking seems fine. Don't think I'll be doing anything. I am glad that it has power steering.[/QUOTE]

That's true, if you stay with small OEM tires. IF you go larger like you have, power brakes is the way to go. Especially after the brakes get hot or wet.
Respectfully,
LG

Front disc and rear drum... after driving it, braking seems fine. Don't think I'll be doing anything. I am glad that it has power steering.

That's true, if you stay with small OEM tires. IF you go larger like you have, power brakes is the way to go. Especially after the brakes get hot or wet.
Respectfully,
LG[/QUOTE]

LG,
Thanks for that. I'll now put this issue back on the table for consideration. I'll have to look at what is involved.
Mike

Respectfully,
LG

LG,
Thanks for that. I'll now put this issue back on the table for consideration. I'll have to look at what is involved.
Mike[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think it would be too bad adding power brakes. Just swapping components? Power brakes are very nice.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks