Mitchell Lakes Trail Report

Mitchell Lakes Trail Report

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I decided to take my CJ5 up Mitchell Lakes trail. I haven't been on this trail since 2009. Then in 2018 there was a forest fire over this area. Then with little vegetation there was heavy rains that washed away many parts of the trail.

The trail was more difficult than I remembered it.
As you can see in this next picture there were some steep switchbacks and the trail was very narrow.

01 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

Higher up the mountain there were some flatter areas.

05 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

06 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

02 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

There were some fallen trees blocking the trail. I cut the tree in the above picture and pulled it out of the way with my jeep.

The tree below was much too big for me to cut.

04 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

But I was able to get around it.

07 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

After all that I get to Mitchell Lakes. They can hardly be called lakes. They have long since filled in with sediment. For that reason I think the trail should be called Hermosa Mountain trail. If you are set on seeing mountain lakes you'll be disappointed.

13 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

Storm clouds moved in but not much materialized except a little light rain.

16 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

I did a little target practice with my .44-40 Single Action Revolver before heading back down.

22 Mitchell Lakes trail.jpg

24 hwy 550 north.jpg

Nice report Dave. It was good to finally meet you on that last day in Moab.

Very nice report! That must be Hwy 550 going through Hermosa. Love that valley. Wife's family is from Durango.

I decided to take my CJ5 up Mitchell Lakes trail. I haven't been on this trail since 2009. Then in 2018 there was a forest fire over this area. Then with little vegetation there was heavy rains that washed away many parts of the trail.

The trail was more difficult than I remembered it.
As you can see in this next picture there were some steep switchbacks and the trail was very narrow.

View attachment 102064

Higher up the mountain there were some flatter areas.

View attachment 102065

View attachment 102066

View attachment 102067

There were some fallen trees blocking the trail. I cut the tree in the above picture and pulled it out of the way with my jeep.

The tree below was much too big for me to cut.

View attachment 102068

But I was able to get around it.

View attachment 102069

After all that I get to Mitchell Lakes. They can hardly be called lakes. They have long since filled in with sediment. For that reason I think the trail should be called Hermosa Mountain trail. If you are set on seeing mountain lakes you'll be disappointed.

View attachment 102070

Storm clouds moved in but not much materialized except a little light rain.

View attachment 102071

I did a little target practice with my .44-40 Single Action Revolver before heading back down.

View attachment 102072

View attachment 102073
Looks fun. Pics like these are both informative and helpful. Thank you!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom