Build Thread My New 75 CJ5

Build Thread My New 75 CJ5
Sorry I forgot to mention after I installed the new steering shaft I noticed that the lower radiator hose now rubs on the steering shaft. I am guessing I will have to shorten the lower hose.:mad:

Well I shortened the radiator hose and problem fixed. I also noticed that the heater hoses were about 2 feet to long. I cut and fixed the first and the second one I cut and now I can't seem to get it to go back on. Are there any tricks to this. There isn't much room at all. I even had my son try with no luck. I really didn't want to take the alternator and bracket off to get to it. Please give advice.....:eek::(

Well the heater hoses are fixed and I just took off the radiator and the hose went on like butter. I also cleaned and painted the bracket. Why not.... I also took of the last rear tires and fixed the prior owner's brake line because both rear brake lines had eaten up the side walls and I just put on new tires and rims.

The new dash came in last night with my new center console. I can't wait to get started. Very nervous about cutting holes in diamond plate.... The console didn't come w any directions. The oil gauge I ordered doesn't have an oil line. It has a large piece that bolts into the block and looks like you attach a wire to it and run it to the gauge. No wire included so I am confused about this as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Well we received our new dash and it looks like I found a company to cut all the holes for the speedo, gauges and switches out. I appreciate all the advice. By the time I buy everything I need to attempt it, I can pay a professional to do it right.:rolleyes: Now on to the fender issues. It looks like I have two different fenders on my 75 CJ5 . The drivers side has a nice slope at the bottom and where the hood clamp mounts it is a little higher than the passenger side. The bottom of the passenger fender is straight across and it is very hard to get the hood clamp on. Takes everything I got to get the hood locked down. Any ideas

check all the bolts holding the fenders on. They may be a little obvlong, or a couple loose.

I've had mine on and off a few times, and actually had to weld up the seams from splitting a few times. That can cause one to drop a ways.

I'll go back and look at some of the pics you've posted to see if I notice anything else...

Also, this seems like a Build thread man, Let me know if you'd like me to move it to the builds portion of the site CJ Forums - CJ Build Forum at Jeep-CJ.com , or you can leave it here... no biggy either way, your choice :cool:

:chug:

~ JR

EDIT: So I can see from the pics on here anything that jumps at me.

Make sure everything (like front grill etc) is lined up correctly, nothing holding the hood "up" or away.

Then take some pics of the hinge and latch areas, and post em up.

Cheers

~ JR

Last edited:
JR74CJ5 Please move my thread over, maybe I will get more responses to my questions. Thank you I am new to forums. This is my first one. Sorry for the mix up:notworthy:

JR74CJ5 Please move my thread over, maybe I will get more responses to my questions. Thank you I am new to forums. This is my first one. Sorry for the mix up:notworthy:

No mix up you are fine bud...

Actually the answers to questions usually are better with separate threads for each problem. For Instance, this problem: hood / fenders I'd put in the CJ Forums - Chassis and Body at Jeep-CJ.com section with a new thread titled "hard to latch" / "missmatched fenders"

This thread looked to be more of a full timeline style build thread. Most people that look at them in that section (the build section) may put in there recommendations etc, but go there more to see what you're doing etc maybe to get ideas, or to give koodo's on good work.

It's completely up to you, I can move it there if you'd like or leave it here.

Now to your pics and hood latching deal... Yes it is pretty apparent they are different huh... hmm, I don't know which would be the right one.

Try to make a new thread in the section I listed / linked above, and upload those pictures and your description of whats happening there, and I'll bet you'll get more ideas / responses.

Does the hood line up tightly when resting closed? or does it appear as it does in the picture to be affected and held up by something?

:chug:

~ JR

Thank you for the advice. Could you please move it over for me.

Now the hood hangs over the edgeof the passenger fender where it bolts to the tub. There is also a bit of a gap on the driver's side where it meets the grille ugh!!!!

Not sure how to link a new question about fender/hood to this thread. I am so new at this...:notworthy:

Well today we got to pickup the dash from the fab shop and it is awesome!!!! We received the swing part for our rear bumper but the rear bumper did arrive and won't be here for another week. I don't think that I should install the dash till after I drill the holes for the washers and install the pump. What do you think install dash and gauges or should I wait to install the washer pump and and sprayers?:cool:

:( Well we picked up the dash from the metal shop on Friday. The only problem was that I gave the metal shop the old gauges and the new gauges were slightly larger. I also moved the gauges around and I had to dremel the window frame to make clearance. Damn live and learn right. I also ordered a wiper pump and all the fixins for a sprayer system. Our glass tub never came with it when we bought it. I am guessing we should wait to install the dash till after we take care of the sprayer system. What do you think. I also installed the new front bumper. The swing for the rear bumper came in but the rear bumper won't be here for another week... go figure... Hope to clean up the tub from all the fiberglass dust tomorrow and install the center console and radio in it. Think I will re-linex the tub this week too. Here are some pics:chug Disregard all the dust

:) Well we spent over three hours in the garage and Pam and I figured out how to wire the vintage washer pump switch. Then we started the long process on installing the washers in the hood. It was really hard figuring out where they should go because the shaft on the sprayer was about an inch and a half long on the universal kit. I drilled the hose and hooked up everything and they were hitting the windshield frame. So we looked around the garage for something to make it work. Pam had a great idea and we used some double sided weather stripping to prop the front up. It worked but I am worried about it shrinking down and not working again. PO that on our baby before us messed up the cowl as seen in the picture. I went to my new favorite machine shop and had them fab a new cowl cover that is 9 inches long and an inch wider and had the slot width half as wide. tomorrow we will have to go get the right washer hoses and tighten that up and maybe start the rear bumper? Good night all:chug:

Well it was actually nice last night so I went out to start installing the rear bumper and swing. The new bumper doesn't fit my 75 so they said I would have to tweak it a bit. My boy had no interest in helping me so thank god for jack stands. I aligned it all up trying to use two of the factory bolts on the right side to mount it. Damn were they hard getting out. I actually bent a stubby wrench when I used my impact gun and wedge my finger under it. Pam came out and saw my hand and the blood on the garage floor and said what did you do now and why are you still working on it. I put a rubber glove on and kept going. I had to get my grinder out and cut off the head of the bolt because the bolt was so rusted that the nut wouldn't come off. One of the two factory spots wouldn't work w the new bumper so I had to reposition and mark another sport. Oh and I forgot not to be wearing rubber gloves when you are using anything chuckless. ouch!!! bent my fingers around. got mad drank a beer, felt like and idiot. Drilled the last hole. Primed everything and hopefully I will get time tonight to atleast install the bumper and work on the swing later.
I also recieved my 3 inch Skyjacker lift and new shackles. I ordered the cheaper skyjacker shocks because Quadratec said it would ride better.

More to follow :chug:

Well this weekend I got a chance to work on it. I installed all the sprayer parts permanently and ran all the wires. Thanks to "CJ" the sprayers actually hit the windshield. I also wired up my wireless warn fog lights.

Every part seems to need tweeking. I received the diamond plate pieces for the sides of it and I spent part of yesterday grinding and painting the right side to make it fit.

I know why my tomken rear bumper was a cheap as it was. You have to do everything for this bumper. I have to go today and buy some more drill bits because I have worn through mine. Nothing is easy for this bumper. Hopefully this weekend I can install the dash and get everything wired up. Thank you all for all the advice...

I will upload some more pictures tonight when I get home from Base..

Just wanted to post some more pics of what I did this last week. Front of the suspension will go on tomorrow. Weird my 2.5 skyjacker lift kit didn't come w a new pitman arm?

:D Ok well it was a good day no steps backwards.... My son and I put the front of the lift kit on . Thank god for grinders cause we had to cut off all the U bolts. The front lift is on and wow what a difference. We also replaced the steering stabilizer. Diamond plate on both sides of the jeep and painted check. New fender flares on passenger side check. There was one bolt on the rear bumper I couldn't get connected to the frame with my fat hands and my son got it right away. Priceless. Hopefully next weekend we can get the rear done. I don't want to upset my beautiful bride. Thank you all for the advise.

Oh I had to fix on side of the leafs because skyjacker had put the middle bolt that ties on the axle upside down.... Ugh

Well the suspension is in. We had to order Warrior Universal Spring plates because the rear ones were bent and cracked. It is all in and looks good. The driver side fender flares are in. I also replaced the windshield hinges and weatherstripping. We still have an oil leak on the back of the oil pan. Still need to wire up the dash. Found out Thursday that the wiper motor was shot. I wired it up and nothing happened so I had to order a new one and it will get it tomorrow. Hope to finish up the rear swing bumper today.. Take care everyone and as always thanks for all the help.:chug:

My son and I got to spend a little time on the jeep this weekend and I am just about done with the rear bumper. I just need to get get someone to weld two pieces from the bumper to my frame. Now we have to install all the new gauges and dash. I not crazy about this with it being a glass tub and lots of grounding issues. More pics later. :chug:

Thanks,
Military Mike

The bumper is finally on. I just have to take it some where when I register it to have two pieces welded on..:chug:

The dash is almost in and all the gauges and lites finally work. The headlight switch will be in today along with the oil pan gasket(second one). The weather is turning warmer and boy do I want to finish this up. Hopefully tonight I can finish the dash up. Then this weekend I need to redo the darn oil pan again. My son tried to help me and I still have a leak with a new one on the front. I had bought a gasket when I replace the oil pan the first time and the oil pan would fit back up with the gasket. So I just put some rtb on the pan and bolted it up into place and it is leaking from the front now and the back. Now I bought another gasket this time from quadratec and it will be here tonight and I will try this all over again. Damn. Does anyone have any suggestions? or tricks?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom