Build Thread My New 75 CJ5

Build Thread My New 75 CJ5

This one is really coming along nicely!

Should be a tight driving CJ when you get done with all of these projects!

Busy weekend but I finally received the correct headlight switch and plunger and now all the switches are in place. I hope to get the Tach and the windshield brackets in tonight. then on to installing the vents for the heater and installing a new glove box and lid for the glove box.

So much left to do and it is getting nice out. Damn I want to get this on the road. I have only driven it about 300 ft so far.

I also have to fix the damn oil pan leak too. ugh

I will post some more pics tonight:bang:

Ok here is some pics of the almost completed dash. I have to install the glove box and lid. Also another pic of how it looks now. Damn I Love it.:madjeep:

Well with camping season on us and a new perminent campsite right on the water I haven't had a sec to work on my baby for over six weeks now. Damn it is killing me. I have had an awesome time fishing with the family and actually not letting military life drag me down. Hey I only have 19 months till I retire w 26 years in. After last weekend we are now going tomorrow nite to look at a bass boat for even more relaxation. I left the jeep with the oil drained out and the oil pan bolts off. I hope to get it free tonight and clean all the rtv off and try and get the gasket and pan back in. Damn I love my baby and can't wait to drive her back and forth to base. I will keep you all updated. I am reading everyones posts and it only makes me want to work on mine even more.. Thanks guys :chug:

I finally had some time to work on my baby. My wife broken ankle is healing wonderfully and hopefully this week she will be down to one crutch. I have been asking many questions about my rear main seal and have put it off for months. Worried I was in over my head and the fact that they day before I snapped two bolts off the top of my right rear shock on my 06 Rubi. It cost me 450.00 to have the tank dropped and repaired. :censored:!!!!!! I have gotten pretty good at dropping the oil pan because this would be like the fourth time I had to have to do it because of leaks. Everything went great and when I was getting ready to put the bottom part of the rear main seal and bracket back up in I notice that on the other side there was a gasket that was in really poor shape that the oil pan mounts upto. I took the whole unit to my buddy at the parts store and he came up with a part number and said that I would have to go to napa or carquest to get the part. Napa mentioned something about a four piece gasket but they had no idea what it was and neither did carquest. I went home w my tail between my legs and was taking pictures to put on here and ask for more advice when it hit me. op must of used a four piece gasket (only the back part of it anyways) and a one piece cork gasket. to hopefully fix the rear main seal leak. So I called my buddy at advance auto and he ordered me a new felpro one piece and I hope to have it all back in tonight.
I replaced the speedo in it and now the gas gauge and the temp gauge no longer work. damn I hate electrical :dung:. Any ideas on the gauges. Does the speedo body have to be grounded? this is the second time I have had issues and I don't know what I did the first time to fix it. This baby hasn't been registered and I have only driven her 200 feet ever. Can't wait to have her on the road. Thanks for all the help !!!!:notworthy:

Just a few observations after reading most of your thread. First, nice CJ! Mine was a 75 CJ5 also. As for your fender problem, obviously the PO put an aftermarket fender on that doesn't have the same dimensions as the original. To me, it looks like the passenger side is the original. But I could be wrong. That appears to be part of the hood fit/spring latch problem as well. I also noticed that your CJ5 has an adjustable steering column. Mine did not. Don't know if that's something to do with options, etc. But mine was a straight column with the huge tractor steering wheel. That might be the reason you needed a special steering shaft. Could also be wrong on this, but I have never seen a 75 CJ with adjustable steering column from the factory. If the PO did a conversion, it's a lot of work, as you can see from at least one other build thread here on this website. Again, good job, and hope you get to drive your Jeep soon.

Hey Thanks trucklocker.
It looks like the po before me but the tilt wheel in and I am greatful. I think that is why I had to have a special driving shaft done. I am going to order a paid of new fiberglass fenders when the money comes avail. can't wait to get the fuel and temp gauges working . I really hate that the parts are so hard to find for it. I really need to get some welding done to it. If I had to do it over I certainly wouldn't get another one w a glass body. I also have to slide the roll bar out and figure a plan for a new one. This one wasn't even ever bolted in and it is very functional on a glass body... I also wish it was an automatic. Oh well I sure am lucky to have her though. Need to work on her and our new/used 06 Rubi. some parts are in but no time.

Thanks again :chug:

There are some advantages to the glass body that go along with the disadvantages. Your roll cage should be tied in to the frame anyway. Many are bolted to the body only, which may be ok in a single roll, but won't help much on the highway if you go over at speed. Especially on a steel body that's mostly rusted through. I always wished I had a tailgate in mine, as many CJ5s were a solid one-piece tub. The PO of mine, however, saw the wisdom in drilling strategic holes in the floor at the low points. So, I never really had a rust problem in mine. He also built a full cage tied to both the frame and the body. Wish I still had that 5.

Yeah, yeah. I know. I'll get there before too long. Until then, keep up the good work on yours!

I made a little progress last night. It was a busy night. I re-installed the rear main seal and removed the old oil pan gasket and cleaned it up and tacked the new one in place. Tonight I hope to finish up the re-install and find that the leak is FINALLY GONE!!!! Then on to the temp and fuel gauges. I think it is a grounding problem. I hope to get the new bumper installed on our new/used Rubi!!!

Well Well One step forward the leak is fixed!!!! Hell Yeah. Now when I get the time I will pull the dash apart again and rewire for the third time. Hope to get the fuel and temp gauge fixed then I will register my baby. Don't worry there is still so much to do

I snapped off two bolts on the rear shocks on my Rubi and had to take it to a garage and just said install all the shocks. I did get the new bumper on and fixed the fog lights. Now I have this clunking sound whenever I slow down or take off. It is coming from the front drivers side somewhere. The sound is like a torque wrench when you get it to the right torque and it clunks. took it back to the shop that put the shocks on and they said they don't know what it is from. There is a shop in town that does lifts called trick trucks that is going to look on it but there jeep guy is on vacay till the 24th. Damn I just bought this and want to drive it while I finish my CJ. Wish I knew what it was cause I would like to fix it myself like on my CJ. I just can't figure it out. I also don't know what lift the OP put on this. Maybe it is the sway bar endlinks I just don't know. any help would be Awesome. :bang:

Oh the joys of building a CJ. Not to mention the added bonus of expanding ones vocab!

Keep up the great work!:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom