notch in fender for more leg (belly) room

notch in fender for more leg (belly) room
RE: wheel well notch

The second pic where you primed the front wheel well section looks to be higher towards the front compared to the original wheel well. I’ve seen this method used in the past and the butt welded front piece was level with the original wheel well. Wasn’t sure if there was a perticuler reason you did it this way or just the way it came out.

RE: wheel well notch

The second pic where you primed the front wheel well section looks to be higher towards the front compared to the original wheel well. I’ve seen this method used in the past and the butt welded front piece was level with the original wheel well. Wasn’t sure if there was a perticuler reason you did it this way or just the way it came out.
It’s merely sitting there... not completely lined up. Look at the finished pics and both sides are straight, level & look stock. The finished seam isn’t visible.
Most people wouldn’t notice the change but a CJ owner would certainly feel the difference if they sat in the seat.

Prior to posting I looked at the finished pictures as well and they look the same to me. It has to be the distortion of the photo from what you say.

Prior to posting I looked at the finished pictures as well and they look the same to me. It has to be the distortion of the photo from what you say.

Must be... take my word for it... it’s perfectly straight. Actually it has to be straight for both paralell cuts to line up for welding.

Ok so since I read the entire thread and no one else asked I will!
So.. your original seats you say you still have them?
They must be really taking up a lot of room and constantly getting in your way!
Well.. if you wasn't on the other side of the country, I would offer you at no charge ..just from the kindness of my heart to help you free up space and get those pesky trouble makers out of your way and move them to my Jeep that currently has no seats. . ;)

What can I say... I'm a selfless giver! :welcome:

(That is if Arizona wasn't so far from Georgia).

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Ok so since I read the entire thread and no one else asked I will!
So.. your original seats you say you still have them?
They must be really taking up a lot of room and constantly getting in your way!
Well.. if you wasn't on the other side of the country, I would offer you at no charge ..just from the kindness of my heart to help you free up space and get those pesky trouble makers out of your way and move them to my Jeep that currently has no seats. . ;)

What can I say... I'm a selfless giver! :welcome:

(That is if Arizona wasn't so far from Georgia).
Boy! been a while since I was in here. Cj seats are , IMHO a problem, especially for tall guys 6-3". The originals can be sourced, with a bit of luck, from an older model chevy work van, back in the day I could pick them up from a custom van shop. another thing lost in time, for 25$ a pair. I found these and had them recovered, Life was good. I then discovered how much energy it took to keep your but in them while doing real off roading, Hence the aftermarket replacements. The Mastercraft seats were the shortest and thinnest suspension seats I found but still too tall and too thick in the back, hence the wheel well cut and the lowered mounts. The other issue I have with aftermarket seats is that you don't get to even look at them , much less set in them. I got lucky and attended a truck show put on by 4x4 parts and Mastercraft had a display. All aftermarket seats are not created equal and some of them qualify as instrument's of torture. Things are much more comfortable on and off road now. I recommend this as a solution, The original seats still languish away in my storage waiting for a project, possibly something 2WD and street bound, but I do very much appreciate your kind offer of relocation, you are truly overflowing with the milk of human kindness. And for the record I am lucky enough to live the good life in the Republic of Texas. cheers!

Attachments

• Day2-061 Black Bear Pass - Copy - Copy.JPG
    Day2-061 Black Bear Pass - Copy - Copy.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
"I am lucky enough to live the good life in the Republic of Texas."

:punk:

Boy! been a while since I was in here. Cj seats are , IMHO a problem, especially for tall guys 6-3". The originals can be sourced, with a bit of luck, from an older model chevy work van, back in the day I could pick them up from a custom van shop. another thing lost in time, for 25$ a pair. I found these and had them recovered, Life was good. I then discovered how much energy it took to keep your but in them while doing real off roading, Hence the aftermarket replacements. The Mastercraft seats were the shortest and thinnest suspension seats I found but still too tall and too thick in the back, hence the wheel well cut and the lowered mounts. The other issue I have with aftermarket seats is that you don't get to even look at them , much less set in them. I got lucky and attended a truck show put on by 4x4 parts and Mastercraft had a display. All aftermarket seats are not created equal and some of them qualify as instrument's of torture. Things are much more comfortable on and off road now. I recommend this as a solution, The original seats still languish away in my storage waiting for a project, possibly something 2WD and street bound, but I do very much appreciate your kind offer of relocation, you are truly overflowing with the milk of human kindness. And for the record I am lucky enough to live the good life in the Republic of Texas. cheers!
Nice to see you around again @IOPort51 ... :chug:

"I am lucky enough to live the good life in the Republic of Texas."

:punk:
You better watch out, they might give it back

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
You better watch out, they might give it back
I am hoping we do not have to play Cowboys and liberals. We will see what happens..

still have them. the original were the same as you would find in a 70-80s chevy work van. low back buckets. I used to buy them from a van customizing shop for $50 a pair back in the day.

img_0848.jpg
dscn2614.jpg

this is what they look like. Some new foam and springs with marine vinyl covers. My girl friend thought orange on red would look good with the yellow. What can I say, she is an professional artist.:D

img_1081.jpg and this is what I have now.
I am cutting out my wheel wells now so my seat goes back. I see in this pic your seat frames that bolt to floor are the same. My passenger is different because it flip forward. My jeep is a 81 CJ5 it looks like if i bought another driver side and flip them around they might work any thoughts thanks Eric

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks