Rebuild Shocker - Water wasted tranny & transfer Case

Rebuild Shocker - Water wasted tranny & transfer Case

RustyBucket

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1957 Willy's
Hello,

I bought what seemed like a cool project off of a co-worker. It's 1957 Willy's CJ5 . The only good thing about it is that is has a great running 80's AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l liter straight 6 in it. I've had to replace the entire rear brake assembly including lines. Took it for a spin up the street today, and the Tranny sounded terrible (plus I can't tell if the Transfer Case is in 4wd High or Low. I went ahead and checked the fill plugs on the Transmission and the Transfer Case . I stuck my finger in the Transmission filler hole and got some Hot Chocolate out of it. I attempted to unscrew the Transfer Case Filler screw, and a Latte' came spurting out of it. The ENTIRE transfer case was filled with the paint like substance :mad: I assume this means that there's water in the Transfer Case ? What should I do?!?

To add to that, some previous ding-dong welded a skid plate to the underside of both of the Trannies and I'm in the midst of trying to cut it off with my sawzall. I want to take the bottom plate off of the Dana 300 to see if there's any rust in there with that Peanut Butter Milkshake.

I'm on my 2nd beer this is so frustrating!!

:chug:

Welcome to the wonderful world of CJs and their loving POs! :laugh: :ww:

Dont get down about this. Everything can be easily replaced on a jeep and parts are readily available. we all have Previous Owner stories haha

the straight 6 is a durable engine, that being said

Peanutbutter milk shake sounds like water in the oil. water can dilute the oil and cause bad wear and corrosion on parts... Driving a jeep under water can do this.

check motor oil too.

might want to do a few oil changes back to back to get the water out

then try some lucas products

cross your fingers that things arnt in too bad of shape.

im sure some technicians will chime in on what you should do by the books standards so sit back and have another beer

I would drain it and fill it with mineral spirits, let it set couple of days and drain it into a bucket. See what you have and if it is nasty pour it back through a couple more times before filling it with clean. As solvents go mineral spirits are pretty cheep.
The engine is more than likely OK but I would have concerns for the differentials.:cool:

Oh yea, don't forget to fill them back up with gear lube, cheaper the better, run it for a few miles and change it.

I would drain it and fill it with mineral spirits, let it set couple of days and drain it into a bucket. See what you have and if it is nasty pour it back through a couple more times before filling it with clean. As solvents go mineral spirits are pretty cheep.
The engine is more than likely OK but I would have concerns for the differentials.:cool:

Oh yea, don't forget to fill them back up with gear lube, cheaper the better, run it for a few miles and change it.

I agree, just hope the bearings are still ok.

do you ever wonder how much water it takes to turn gear lube into milk shake?? I bet it's not a lot. I would also bet there is enough oil to keep oxidation from getting out of control. A little light surface oxidation shouldn't be a problem.
I am all for pristine and perfect but a little water in the gear lube is a pretty common thing.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom