Replacement M/C 2100 or Holley 470 Truck Avenger?

Replacement M/C 2100 or Holley 470 Truck Avenger?

MrFurious

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 AMC 304 T150 Dana 20 Wide-Trac Dana 30/Dana 44
Well, it seems the M/C 2100 on my AMC 304 has given up the ghost (slop in throttle shaft & warped base plate). As such, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off just replacing it with a reman ($345 from Quadratec) or upgrading to the Truck Avenger.

My AMC 304 is mostly stock other than a Comp Cams 260H High Energy cam and full length headers. While a 4-bbl would likely give me a little more power, I'm really more concerned with smooth running when off-camber or climbing.

I haven't had the opportunity to do any serious off-roading with this Jeep yet, and since the 360 in my old 78 Cherokee had a 4-bbl on it I don't have any trail experience with the 2100. I hear great things about the T/A carbs, but would the added expense really give me any benefit over the 2100?

If you do swap to the T/A you have to either run a 4bbl manifold or buy an adapter that chokes even a 470 CFM carb.

There's really nothing wrong with the 2100/2150 carbs. I'm still running one on my 86 J10 with the 360. It runs just fine and has plenty of power. It's the 2150 with the altitude compensator and, if it's not damaged, works surprisingly well. A good friend of mine took his J10 from Texas (elevation of like 600 ft) to Ouray, CO and back without having to touch the carb. And that included a drive over whatever pass is 13,000+ feet.

A reman 2150 wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

Either of the Truck Avengers from my understanding are going to be too much for an AMC 304 unless you do a cam swap. Holley does make a bolt on 2 barrel that will replace the M/C but as good as the M/C is for off camber and the like why not stay with the girl that helped you get to the dance?

If you do swap to the T/A you have to either run a 4bbl manifold or buy an adapter that chokes even a 470 CFM carb.

There's really nothing wrong with the 2100/2150 carbs. I'm still running one on my 86 J10 with the 360. It runs just fine and has plenty of power. It's the 2150 with the altitude compensator and, if it's not damaged, works surprisingly well. A good friend of mine took his J10 from Texas (elevation of like 600 ft) to Ouray, CO and back without having to touch the carb. And that included a drive over whatever pass is 13,000+ feet.

A reman 2150 wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

Yeah, the intake swap is a given and would add about $300 or so to the price ($200 for the intake and another $100 for the pan gasket). Will likely stick with the M/C carb for that reason alone.

My main gripe with the M/C carbs is that unless you go scrounging in salvage yards you can't get different jets for them. With my cam and headers I'm sure I'll need to do some fine tuning, which is impossible w/o jets.

I did just come across this on another forum though that may provide a solution. Maybe someone with a pile of spare carbs laying around could confirm this.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Here's a simpler answer: Cut the threads off the end of a Holley needle/seat assembly, screw that piece in your 2100/2150 with red loctite, and just use Holley jets which are easily available anywhere....the outside threads of a Holley needle/seat assy are the same as Motorcraft jet threads, and the inside threads are Holley jet thread (1/4x32).

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Hot tip of the day....[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]:-)
KP
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Of course, then we'd get to have fun trying to figure out how the stock M/C jets compare size-wise to Holley jets. lol

[/FONT]

Yeah, the intake swap is a given and would add about $300 or so to the price ($200 for the intake and another $100 for the pan gasket). Will likely stick with the M/C carb for that reason alone.

My main gripe with the M/C carbs is that unless you go scrounging in salvage yards you can't get different jets for them. With my cam and headers I'm sure I'll need to do some fine tuning, which is impossible w/o jets.

I did just come across this on another forum though that may provide a solution. Maybe someone with a pile of spare carbs laying around could confirm this.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Of course, then we'd get to have fun trying to figure out how the stock M/C jets compare size-wise to Holley jets. lol[/FONT]

Since you've upgraded the cam in the AMC 304 , you might want to try a stock 2150 off a 360. It may be great for feeding that AMC 304 . Go over to www.ifsja.org and see if anyone wants to sell a stock 2150 out of their Wagoneer. I'm sure someone there has one laying around and they'll let it go for cheap.

IMO stick with the 2100 or the 2150, they are much better carbs for off road. I know to many people that have ditched there truck avenger.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom