rewiring and restoring dash....

rewiring and restoring dash....

rus

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 iron duke
So I finally got the ball rolling on my CJ7 im in the middle of rewiring and restoring my dash. I can't believe the stuff im seeing from previous owners you name it he did it anything from shaving a small chuck if insulation off of wires and wrapping his own wire around it and rolling electric tape all over, all the way to just wrapping bare copper around light bulbs and running to switches.

So i started by pulling my rusted dash and wiring harness. I took the dash to work with me and grinded it down to bare metal and cleaned the rust spots off and patched them.... I put new metal in to patch the hacked up speaker holes and the hack job they did to fit a head unit in the dash is now in primer and the next time we do a spray in beadliner my paint tech said he would spray it for me.

Next i started tackling the wiring im cutting all bad sections of wired and sodering them back and heatshreanking them nothing to exciting here... My tail lights had not been working so i got my wiring diagrams out and this is my only question so far, it looks to me like they ground out to the side marker lights, witch i dont have. The blue wire that ran to power them on the driver side was cut and spliced to use as a ground witch obviously didn't work and the side markers i have where just bycicle reflectors double side taped to the body.... And the passenger side had a cut wire at the tail light plug that im guessing used to go to the side markers but all wiring here is now non existent....

I got a bunch off goodies from Morris 4x4 center that's just waiting for me to finish up this work to get installed. But enough of me ranting i don't have internet at my house so all I've got is my cell phone after i get to a lap top or something I'll post up pictures of all that I've got done.

PO's can do some interesting things, sounds like it looked something like his.

avybaqep.jpg

abe7evat.jpg

I mostly did small repairs to get mine running and have a new wiring kit still in the box to install.

Good luck

I didn't take a picture because there was no such thing as digital photography or camera phones in 1991, but I did see a single pole switch mounted to provide power to a CB radio once. But hey, it worked! And the glass packs on a 4 banger didn't help the guys image either.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

I just got done soldering my tail light harness. I've never touched wiring before everyone has had me scared of it but so far it hasn't been to bad, and lots of fun learning new skills. I just can't wait to get her on the road...

sounds like the same thing im doing. wish i woulda taken pictures of the alternator wires...

sounds like the same thing im doing. wish i woulda taken pictures of the alternator wires...

I hate the alt wiring system... messed with grimlins in that system for weeks!

Do you have it all figure out yet? If not, let me know.

:chug:
~ Jr

:)JR......Probably took that long to dry it out after that "Pond Trip" you put that Jeep through! (LOL)
I think you should either silicone all the connections or at least use some Dielectric grease to seal them..................or...........just keep it out of the Deep Water!

:D:D:D:D

:)JR......Probably took that long to dry it out after that "Pond Trip" you put that Jeep through! (LOL)
I think you should either silicone all the connections or at least use some Dielectric grease to seal them..................or...........just keep it out of the Deep Water!

:laugh:

That definitley was the problem a few of the times, but actually had a problem with the charging circuit itself too. Found a almost cut in half wire within the system, had to install a reverse current resister / diode, and had a stock wire connector / plug with a loose connecting within the plug. So had a few more problems than my sub-marine racing :D:D

Actually did a lot of research on the whole circuit and it's back up "exciter" circuit etc.

:chug:
~ Jr

Ok so I've got it all together but one wire the P.O. Cut it to wire in a switch it is the black wire that runs with what im guessing is a courtesy light that goes under the dash on the passenger side I am 100% its a light but not sure if that is its purpose.... I can't seem to find it on the diagrams I have thanks in advance guys ohhh the power wire for the light is blue and it has the black wire run next to it it runs into a factory plug and turns into one orange wire

Ok so I've got it all together but one wire the P.O. Cut it to wire in a switch it is the black wire that runs with what im guessing is a courtesy light that goes under the dash on the passenger side I am 100% its a light but not sure if that is its purpose.... I can't seem to find it on the diagrams I have thanks in advance guys ohhh the power wire for the light is blue and it has the black wire run next to it it runs into a factory plug and turns into one orange wire

Ok I feel stupid it splits to power a light on my ds doesn't it lol guess I just needed a break from it ha ha

I just purchased a 70 CJ5 and the wiring is a mess. Just like some of the other posts. I mean the only lights that work are the head lights and they are on their own toggle switch.. So, I'm thinking about just ordering a new complete wiring harness. A little expensive so I kind of want others opinions. What have you other wiring guys/gals done?

I just purchased a 70 CJ5 and the wiring is a mess. Just like some of the other posts. I mean the only lights that work are the head lights and they are on their own toggle switch.. So, I'm thinking about just ordering a new complete wiring harness. A little expensive so I kind of want others opinions. What have you other wiring guys/gals done?

:)Dave..............you could surely buy a new harness, but really how many wires are in a 1970 CJ5 ? I replace them only as a last option or adding new electrical equipment that needs additional circuits.....It all depends on how bad the wires are?........ Someone chose to wire around the switch cause they were to lazy to change or trouble shoot it...........Starting over is OK............but take a look at what you have and then plan your next step.......sometimes the addition of a fuse block really helps......
A new harness will correct a bunch of old bad wiring while giving you a lot of options for adding new fused electrical circuits.........
If you do change it out don't just cut it out as the old wires work well as pull wires to get your new stuff in place.

I just removed my whole wiring harness and dash then started going a wire at a time looking for damaged sections or splices made by the previous owners and when I found them I would cut them out solder them together and I used heat shrink to insulate it. It sounds alot more scary than it is wasn't a hard project at all I just got on here and found some wiring diagrams and used those to help me figure out where lose wired where suppose to go. This was my first time to ever mess with automotive wiring so im gonna find out if it's gonna work or not when I reinstall it all this weekend... Keep your fingers crossed for me.... But over all I feel like it saved me a bunch of money because originally I was going to buy a whole new harness. Hope this helps

I just removed my whole wiring harness and dash then started going a wire at a time looking for damaged sections or splices made by the previous owners and when I found them I would cut them out solder them together and I used heat shrink to insulate it. It sounds alot more scary than it is wasn't a hard project at all I just got on here and found some wiring diagrams and used those to help me figure out where lose wired where suppose to go. This was my first time to ever mess with automotive wiring so im gonna find out if it's gonna work or not when I reinstall it all this weekend... Keep your fingers crossed for me.... But over all I feel like it saved me a bunch of money because originally I was going to buy a whole new harness. Hope this helps

Great advice.. I should chase down the bad wires and replace them. I am pretty sure they are still in place, just the switches and some of the gauges are needing replaced. Thanks and let me know how yours turns out.

Great advice.. I should chase down the bad wires and replace them. I am pretty sure they are still in place, just the switches and some of the gauges are needing replaced. Thanks and let me know how yours turns out.

Yeah I thought mine was a mess till I looked at it everything was there and intact for the most part I just had to learn to look for electric tape and zip ties lol that was a sign someone had been messing around in that spot lol. It also helped me learn alot and figure out some of my sensors where completely missing.... I've got some gauges to replace also im just thankful my Speedo was in working order it was just very dirty it was easy to open up and I cleaned it all inside and out its good as new now.... Good luck to you to and ill make sure to post to let you know if im back to the drawing bored or not :D

Well I got it all wired up and installed and everything works except tail lights im thinking the plugs are bad on the wiring harness. Does anyone think hardwiring them would be a bad idea ?

Well I got it all wired up and installed and everything works except tail lights im thinking the plugs are bad on the wiring harness. Does anyone think hardwiring them would be a bad idea ?

:)rus..............Take them apart and just jump them......if they work then you know........ You've done a good job so far fixing all the other problems, I would track it down and fix it with a new plug if thats what it needs..............otherwise the next owner will be talking about YOU!

:)rus..............Take them apart and just jump them......if they work then you know........ You've done a good job so far fixing all the other problems, I would track it down and fix it with a new plug if thats what it needs..............otherwise the next owner will be talking about YOU!

Good point lol I've worked way to hard to rig it up now lol would you happen to know a part number for the plug or where I could order them? They have been hanging down behind the tires for years from what it looks like I know the wires are supplying power so that's the only other thing I can think of at this point

Good point lol I've worked way to hard to rig it up now lol would you happen to know a part number for the plug or where I could order them? They have been hanging down behind the tires for years from what it looks like I know the wires are supplying power so that's the only other thing I can think of at this point

:)rus..........Go on line to any of those harness makers and they sell a variety of water proof plugs that are probably better than the original Jeep Versions or check a Napa or other parts store near you..........although any plug then filled with a waterproof dielectric grease will also do........just want to keep out the moisture.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom